October 30th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
    1. Blog post
    2. Email
  2. Mask March
    1. Blog post
  3. Blog post on Net Neutrality / Comcast
  4. Citizen Four showing

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • davidd
  • kate_m
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA)
  • igel

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • wildthing2
  • zby

Events Summary

  1. Oct. 31, UK-US Cybersecurity Symposium, 8am-6pm, One Broadway, 7th Floor, Cambridge
  2. Nov. 4, Election day, 7am-8pm
  3. Nov. 5, Million Mask March
  4. Nov. 6, Citizen Four tabling?, Kendall Sq. Cinema
  5. Nov. 6, Radical Reference Collective: Privacy Workshop for Library Professionals, 2-5pm, Medway Public Library
  6. Nov. 18, Boston Police Cameras Action Team meeting, 6-8pm, location TBD
  7. Dec. 6, Radical Reference Collective: Privacy Workshop for Library Professionals, 2-5pm, Simmons College
  8. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Summary

Noe and Joe were recently interviewed on the Young Jurks. Mozilla interviewd Noe and Joe today; article will run hopefully on Sunday. Joe has been doing other interviews.

Flyering for Noe's campaign. Starting 1pm on Saturday, and 10am on Sunday.

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> Agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_30th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 < jokeefe> ahoy, kate_m
21:05 < srevilak> hi, kate_m
21:05 < kate_m> evening :)
21:05 < srevilak> So, Update on candidate status, campaign strategies ?
21:06 < jokeefe> Agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_30th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < jokeefe> aye
21:06 < jokeefe> Joe had his debate on Friday
21:06 < jokeefe> Joe & Noe were on the young Jurks Saturday
21:07 < jokeefe> Noe's crew have been out leafletting
21:08 < jokeefe> Have distributed thousands so far on people's doors,
        laudromats and cafes.  Any public place we can.
21:09 < jokeefe> More leaflets to get out this weekend.  Looking for
        more volunteers
21:09 < srevilak> I'm tied up on Sat, but free much of Sunday
21:09 < jokeefe> Great!
21:09 < jokeefe> Thank you.
21:09 < jokeefe> Our campaign party starts 8:30pm on Tuesday.
21:10 < srevilak> Will be there after Linux class
21:10 < jokeefe> wonderful
21:10 < kate_m> I know I have stuff Saturday evening, not sure about
        the rest of the weekend
21:11 < jokeefe> Ok.  We start 1pm on Saturday and 10am on Sunday.
        Will likely stop no later than sundown
21:12 < jokeefe> Working to get a blog post/email out Friday morning.
21:12 < noe> ahoy!
21:12 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:13 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA
21:13 < jokeefe> just doing a campaign update
21:13 < noe> sweet
21:14 < kate_m> jokeefe: where is meetup for leafleting?
21:15 < jokeefe> We are gathering at 56A Cedar St., Somerville
21:16 < jokeefe> now, anything you want to add?
21:17 < jokeefe> noe that is
21:18 < noe> Erm, Mozilla interview today went well.  They interviewed
        both me and Joe and will be running something hopefully on Sunday.
21:18 < igel> lo
21:18 < noe> They asked general questions about votenoelani as well as
        how it is to run as a person under the age of 50
21:18 < noe> ahoy!
21:18 < jokeefe> hi, igel
21:18 < srevilak> hi igel
21:19 < igel> yaar, hey i saw some of the tweets from canvasing in
        #somerville
21:19 < igel> how else it go?
21:20 < noe> its been pretty good!
21:20 < jokeefe> going well so far
21:20 < noe> people seem curious and amused
21:20 < jokeefe> some have been very supportive
21:20 < noe> I think leafletting during the day is better than during
        the night, so we should strive to do daylight things more often next time.
21:21 < igel> i believe it
21:21 < jokeefe> aye
21:21 < noe> I want to thank everyone who has been contributing, tweeting,
        making suggestions, etc.
21:21 < noe> We couldn't do this without you all.
21:21 < noe> What's the next item?
21:22 < jokeefe> Mask March
21:22 < noe> I will be there with petitions for PassMassAmendment,
        don't know the times I can come, though I'd like to come when the crowd
        is thickest.
21:22 < jokeefe> anyone know what the schedule is?
21:22 < noe> Do we have a plan?
21:22 < jokeefe> besides starting at 8am
21:23 < noe> (no start at 8am, no)
21:23 < kate_m> I don't know if we're even making an appearance there
21:23 < kate_m> goddamn midweek nonsense
21:23 < kate_m> remember remember the 5th of november
21:23 < kate_m> when we stand around the statehouse and get nothing done
21:23 < noe> can't we remember the 9th?
21:24 < noe> *sigh*
21:24 < igel> HEH
21:25 < noe> I would like to go with petitions, but should we set up
        a reasonable time frame for Pirates to hang out (2 hours, something
        fun, etc)
21:25 < noe> ?
21:26 < jokeefe> agree
21:26 < jokeefe> noon seems a good time.
21:26 < srevilak> noe: what's happening on the 9th?
21:26 < igel> on teh hill?
21:27 < jokeefe> so, meet at noon, unless we hear it is over by then?
21:28 < igel> yea
21:28 < noe> srevilak:  I just wish we could have the Mask March on
        a SUnday.
21:28 < kate_m> ^^^
21:28 < noe> srevilak:  I think all the walking might be tiring me out.
21:28 < srevilak> noe: yes, me too
21:29 < srevilak> although, last saturday's march was pretty good
21:30 < jokeefe> noe & kate_m, noon?
21:30 < noe> will be there
21:31 < noe> with petitions on!
21:31 < jokeefe> great!
21:32 < jokeefe> Next up - Blog post on Net Neutrality / Comcast
21:32 < jokeefe> Anyone able to write it?
21:33 < noe> I think for net neutrality, a lot of srevilak's talk could
        be edited in.
21:33 < jokeefe> srevilak?
21:34 < srevilak> Can work on it this weekend
21:34 < jokeefe> thank you
21:34 < noe> (I'm tempted to just cut and paste from the pdf, myself)
21:34 < noe> (I mean, its a series of coherent arguments)
21:35 < noe>
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/images/3/37/Net-neutrality-copyright-20141029.pdf
21:35 < noe> As for Comcast, are we talking about the mergers?
21:35 < srevilak> noe: thx
21:35 < igel> could we add alternatives? eg, build your own net
21:35 < srevilak>
        http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/why-comcasts-javascript-ad-injections-threaten-security-net-neutrality/
21:35 < jokeefe> aye to all
21:36 < srevilak> Basically, comcast is doing man in the middle attacks
21:36 < srevilak> In order to inject ads
21:36 < igel> yeah, and verizon has been doing it too.
21:37 < jokeefe>
        http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-phones-advertisers-2014-10
21:37 < srevilak> Comcast is different
21:37 < srevilak> verizon adds http UID headers
21:37 < igel> well, tagging your http requests, effectively bypassing
        'dont track me'
21:37 < srevilak> Comcast modifes DOM
21:37 < igel> yeah the DOM injection is like, every other web
        page.. really invasive
21:38 < noe> ("unwanted injections" seems kind of . . . assault-y or
        molest-y to me)
21:38 < noe> (and yet, its appropriate)
21:38 < jokeefe> agreed
21:38 < jokeefe> Last formal item - Citizen Four showing
21:38 < noe> Saturday night?
21:39 < srevilak> I'm game
21:39 < jokeefe> Was going to suggest, Thursday, but Saturday works
21:40 < noe> Oh, wait, I just checked the Doodle, Alex chose Wednesday
        November 5 night
21:40 < jokeefe> yes
21:40 < srevilak> But we can go saturday :)
21:40 < noe> True!  :)
21:40 < jokeefe> I told him we might do our own, and would distribute
        their literature
21:43 < igel> yea?
21:43 < jokeefe> So, Saturday it is, then.
21:43 < noe> Whoo!
21:44 < noe> Should we buy tickets beforehand?
21:44 < jokeefe> yes
21:44 < igel> welp, i think im workn on mesh stuff this weekend
21:44 < jokeefe> cool
21:45 < jokeefe> anything else you all want to bring up?
21:46 < noe> have a great halloween everyone!  (and get some sleep if
        you're meeting up with us in Somerville on Saturday at 1pm)
21:47 < igel> aah
21:47 < igel> you mentioned cryptoparties once or twice over the list
21:47 < igel> are there any on the calendar ?
21:47 < jokeefe> yes, would be good to have one in Nov. / Dec.
21:48 < noe> i think jamie may have been working on us running a
        cryptoparty trainer training
21:48 < igel> ok
21:48 < igel> aah
21:49 < jokeefe> anything else?
21:49 < noe> we should probably try to set a date at next week's meeting
        for a cryptoparty or a trainer training
21:49 < igel> sounds hood :D
21:49 < noe> i'm all set
21:49 < jokeefe> agreed, noe
21:50 < jokeefe> Think it would be good to have a social in Nov/Dec.
21:51 < jokeefe> will add it to the agenda for next week
21:51 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
21:51 < noe> so moved
21:51 < noe> 2nd?
21:51 < srevilak> second motion to adjour
21:51 < srevilak> second motion to adjourn
21:51 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:51 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:51 < noe> aye
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:51 < jokeefe> aye