October 31st, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

12/17 Intl Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest

H.R.6729 - Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act of 2018

Newsletter

Topics for next one:

Regional Meetings

Tech Meeting

Video Newsletter

Statements

  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Computer Donations

On hold until next week - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:10pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_31st,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:10pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:10pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Happy Halloween
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Hh 2u 2
[9:11pm] jokeefe:
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll do a post on the MPP activist list … BTW, I've noticed there are very few participants, both there and on this IRC. How do we get more folks involved in decision-making and activism?
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: I am traveling so I may be cut off
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: James, you mentioned change.org … is that regarding the banking bill now being considered in the Senate?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Better reminders. Calling people. Personal email invitations.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: IMHO if we have active projects, and individual point people ("watch officers") for folks to go to, that could ignite more interest.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joey joined the chat room.
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: Ahoy, Joey
[9:15pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joey: Its Joe
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: I thought so 
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Petition at https://www.change.org/p/elizabeth-warren-prevent-warrantless-searches-of-our-bank-accounts?recruiter=9144&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Sorry. doing things out of sequence
[9:17pm] DesmondRavenstone: We should post on Facebook, blog, activist list, and encourage folks to re-post all over
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Anything to review or discuss besides the listed projects?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: On to projects - 12/17 Intl Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone: Two developments on the Dec 17th vigil. First, a group of Harvard Law students, SWAN (Sex Worker Advocacy Network) have asked to co-sponsor; I've met some and given the okay. There is also informal feedback to have the vigil in front of Boston Police HQ, which is also within walking distance of two T stops.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: from before meeting
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: If folks have ideas for additional co-sponsors/participants, please forward when you can
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Have you received any emails Desmond?
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joey: Sorry if I am less chatty
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joey: 10 minutes to home
[9:20pm] jokeefe: I’m sneezy myself
[9:20pm] DesmondRavenstone: Most have been on Facebook event post. As I mentioned before meeting, Boston DSA has not responded.
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll keep posting updates on activist list and blog. Again, if other leads, let me know.
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: From Facebook, 2 others say definitely going, about 1/2 dozen "
[9:21pm] jokeefe: thanks. I can give you access to Boston Pirates and you can call/email them
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Super!
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joey: How much for flyers for the vigil?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: will add you to masspirates.org/crew
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joey: Paper the commons
[9:22pm] jokeefe: how many and what size?
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joey: Small and many
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: That takes people power and $$$ … do we have?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Under $50 would we my guess. We just need a design.
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: Is this for the event, or Party generally?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Yes, we have the money.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Volunteers need to be called.
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joey: Des, email Jman and I'll get the funds for it
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: "Jman"?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: guessing me
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joey: Jamie*
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joey: Just got home
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joey: That was sporting!
[9:26pm] jokeefe: so more signups. more volunteers, more outreach.
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK can work on some sort of design, then email the Captain for the rest.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: I know someone who could do it, if you have the text.
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: For the Party generally … I was able to make a button and stickers via Zazzle.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: thanks!
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: So why not set that up as merch for folks to obtain? Sticker the MPP logo everywhere.
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joey: We could do a bake sale at the commons while we hand out flyers too
[9:27pm] jokeefe: we have access to a button maker, but need a design
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joey: The mapp?
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: Use the MPP logo that you use for T shirts on Zazzle -- that's what I did.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: We have those. thinking of custom ones for the event
[9:29pm] DesmondRavenstone: Size of buttons? (so I can plan/plagiarize designs)
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joey: MAPP supports your sexy rights!
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: A pirate with a red umbrella?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: inch/inch a half. just make it circular and I can scale
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joey: That could work too
[9:31pm] jokeefe: make several. it isn’t hard to make them.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: several designs
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: When would we be looking to do the Common table/bake-sale/leafleting?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joey: Weekend two weeks from now?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: don’t know. Common gets a lot of out of town people, so less effective than local squares
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joey: Another location perhaps?
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: Govt Center / City Hall?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: spreading them around would be best.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joey: Less activist and we will be back there with the protest. College students make good activists
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: Posting on lampposts etc … yes, with contact info.
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joey: We could start with a small bake sale and then walk and paper
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joey: Like from Harvard square
[9:36pm] jokeefe: postering is a good idea
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: We could pick strategic areas to post leaflets
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joey: Higher cost for posters?
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: Harvard Square, also Central Square, Downtown Crossing, Park Street, Boston U and other schools'
[9:38pm] jokeefe: 8 1/2 x 11 is fine for posters
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Those sound like good locations,
[9:38pm] DesmondRavenstone: agreed, letter size
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joey: Then let's do a stack
[9:39pm] jokeefe: 1/4 page flyers are good with 1 page posters for putting up on polls.  I can get quotes.
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joey: Please do. Do you have paypal?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: why?
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joey: So I could transfer the money?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: a check to the printer should be fine.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: fewer fees
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joey: Question mark?
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joey: Ink is money too
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joey: I have spare paper if it helps
[9:42pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Shall we move on to H.R.6729?
[9:42pm] DesmondRavenstone: Sounds good
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joey: Please
[9:43pm] jokeefe: petition is at https://www.change.org/p/elizabeth-warren-prevent-warrantless-searches-of-our-bank-accounts
[9:43pm] jokeefe: we need a picture
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: A hand reaching to take your $$$ ?
[9:44pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joey left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Would you ask on the Facebook discussion and I’ll ask on the activists list?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: =>Desmond
[9:46pm] DesmondRavenstone: Clarification please … ask what? Petition? Picture?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: for picture suggestions
[9:47pm] DesmondRavenstone: Or just do a search and find some ideas?
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I have an idea
[9:47pm] DesmondRavenstone: Shoot
[9:48pm] jokeefe: not sexy, but it will do
[9:48pm] DesmondRavenstone: ???
[9:48pm] jokeefe: screen cap of the bill
[9:48pm] jokeefe: text
[9:48pm] Joe: Functional is better than sexy
[9:49pm] DesmondRavenstone: "sexy" is not the word … a good visual grabs people's attn at many levels
[9:49pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'm afraid screen shot of text won't work as well as a good graphic
[9:49pm] Joe: I would prefer a pirate with a red umbrella personally
[9:49pm] DesmondRavenstone: For the petition?
[9:50pm] DesmondRavenstone: Should focus on idea of govt grabbing $$$ … YOUR $$$
[9:50pm] jokeefe: I am talking about the petition
[9:50pm] Joe: Yeah, something that would help like captain morgana with a bit of flair
[9:51pm] Joe: For both the flyers and petitions
[9:51pm] jokeefe: I’ll get something up tonight and we can always replace it
[9:52pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK. Remember, visual that can GRAB people's attn. As Tom Lehrer said in Lobachevsky, plagiarize if you have to!
[9:53pm] jokeefe:
[9:55pm] DesmondRavenstone: We're getting close to the end of the hour. Anything else?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Besides these two items, anything you want in this weeks newsletter?
[9:56pm] Joe: Location of paper event/bake sale?
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Lowell?
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Tech meeting: setting up the new date
[9:57pm] Joe: We could do it here. School is in session
[9:57pm] Joe: I figured Boston would be better though
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Boston Anarchist Bookfair in a week would be good
[9:58pm] jokeefe: as a start. That gets us BU area
[9:59pm] DesmondRavenstone: ehhhhcellent
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Sound good?
[9:59pm] Joe: We could. I could have a batch of cookies ready for it.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: yum
[9:59pm] Joe: That does sound perfect.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Will put a sign up list.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: We are at time.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
[10:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK. And you will send text of this meet?
[10:01pm] jokeefe: it will be at the meeting agenda
[10:01pm] Joe: I second
[10:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: Great
[10:01pm] Joe: All in favor?
[10:01pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:01pm] Joe: Aye
[10:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: aye
[10:02pm] jokeefe: have a wonderful night. thanks
[10:02pm] Joe: Ty