October 31th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

Upcoming Events

Who will be at:

  1. Nov. 5th, Tue., 9am-midnight, Million Mask March, State House, Boston, MA, 9am-midnight
  2. Nov. 6th, Wed., 6:30-8:30pm, Boston Desktop Linux Users Group, Jamie speaking on the "Dangers of the Surveillance State"
  3. Nov. 6th, Wed., Berkman Center Mesh Network Cryptoday, Cambridge/Somerville
  4. Nov. 9th, Sat., Scorpion Bowl, Positronic Design, 903 Dwight St, Holyoke,
  5. Nov 17th In-Person Meeting, 2-5pm, Regina Pizzeria, 353 Cambridge St, Allston, MA (see above)
  6. Nov 23rd Cryptoparty

Issues/Platform Discussion

Our next In-Person Meeting will be 2-5pm. Sunday Nov. 17th, at Regina Pizzeria, 353 Cambridge St, Allston, MA. We're going to try a different format: instead of discussing planning and logistics, this meeting will be a social event where we talk about issues, politics, and our party platform.

During tonight's IRC meeting, we'd like to develop a short list of topics to talk about on the 17th.

For example, our core platform centers around four points: Open Government, Open Innovation, Open Culture, and People First. We could have a discussion that elaborates on these points, talk about how some of today's big issues can be framed in terms of these four points, or talk about issues that don't fall neatly into the core platform.

Of course, that's just an example. We can elaborate more tonight.

Nov. 23rd CryptoParty

Also: we have a cryptoparty on Nov. 23rd. We should spend a few minutes discussing topics and presenters.

Fundraising

We have a fundraiser scheduled for 12/28 and will send out a fundraising email. Besides calling folks, what other fundraising ideas can folks suggest?

Participants

  • volt (volt, high school student from Florida, also from Hyperboria)
  • ANONinMASS
  • Igel (Will in Arlington)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • davidd
  • Kendra (Kendra in Arlington)
  • jokeefe

Observers:

  • zby
  • firsttimehere_
  • ircerr

Summary

Meeting Minutes

21:01 < Igel> hi Kendra
21:01 < Kendra> Hi, Kendra in Arlington
21:02 < Igel> Will in Arlington 
21:02 < Igel> <ANONinMASS> Million Mask March Nov. 5th
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:03 < srevilak> I guess we're starting.  Please introduce yourselves (if so inclined)
21:04  * srevilak waves to firsttimehere_ 
21:04 < ircerr> ircerr, @efnet/#cjdns (re #projectmeshnet i'd guess)
21:05 < volt> volt, high school student from Florida, also from Hyperboria... (Igel invited me :D)
21:05 < Igel> probably should go here firsttimehere_ masspirates.org/wiki/October_31th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < srevilak> volt: welcome to #masspirates
21:06 < volt> Well thank you, good to be here...
21:06 < srevilak> Looks like events are first on the agenda (which Igel kindly posted)
21:06 < srevilak> 1. Million Mask March
21:07 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: care to take the floor?
21:09 < Kendra> Is there a link to the Million Mask March?
21:09 < srevilak> https://www.facebook.com/events/652912004719264/
21:10 < ANONinMASS> Sure!
21:10 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: is it 6am-9am, or 9am-midnight?
21:11 < ANONinMASS> I have been tirelessly preparing on the organization of the MMM being held at the steps of the State House startting at 9am going all day. 
21:12 < ANONinMASS> we want to touch on a lot of subjects that affect the population directly and indirectly.
21:13 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: just FYI - FB event shows me 6-9am, but I see correct time in flyer
21:13 < ANONinMASS> yes, I have yet to have Nick Macdonald (host) to fix it yet
21:13 < srevilak> NP, just making sure you were aware.
21:14 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: exciting stuff on the agenda?
21:14 < ANONinMASS> I would like to request a pirate member to discuss other options in government besides the red/blue gridlock we are in
21:16 < srevilak> Would anyone here like to talk at Million Mask?
21:16 < ANONinMASS> Yes, We have a speakers lined up for talks on surveillance, 4th amendment issues, police state, local government laws we can change,  the alphabet soup agencies and their security theater.
21:17 < ANONinMASS> still trying to get a member for MassCann or Norml to talk about hemp and marijuana
21:17 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: nice!
21:17 < jokeefe> hi
21:17 < ANONinMASS> ahoy 
21:18 < srevilak> hi jokeefe.  Discussing Million Mask March
21:18 < Igel> yar
21:18 < jokeefe> cool.  I am going to listen and not take the con.
21:18 < Igel> <ANONinMASS> Yes, We have a speakers lined up for talks on surveillance, 4th amendment issues, police state, local government laws we can change,  the alphabet soup agencies and their security theater.
21:18 < Igel> <ANONinMASS> still trying to get a member for MassCann or Norml to talk about hemp and marijuana
21:18 < ANONinMASS> still discussing details of march route wioth other organizers
21:19 < srevilak> ANONinMASS: will send a note to activists list, to see if we can find a pirate speaker for you
21:20 < ANONinMASS> with an obvious return to the state houser
21:20 < ANONinMASS> excellent. I know Lulu is going and said she might if anything else
21:20 < srevilak> anything else on Million Mask?
21:21 < jokeefe> I should be there, hopefully around lunch time.
21:21 < ANONinMASS> But obviously I would love to see a lot of the pirates show! I've done a butt load of flyering and putting up full page flyers around boston (2 of which are still hanging) so the promotion is pretty much done, Now its up to the people to make this big!
21:22 < jokeefe> will talk it up.
21:22 < ANONinMASS> thank you! i yield my time
21:23 < srevilak> On to 2. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting ?
21:23 < Kendra> What's the  date for that?
21:24 < srevilak> Nov. 6th, Wed., 6:30-8:30pm
21:24 < srevilak> jokeefe: what's the location?
21:24 < srevilak> never mind: found it http://www.meetup.com/desktop-linux-users-group/events/146103092/
21:25 < Igel> is this a BLU event?
21:26 < Igel> oh its over there.. in that area heh..
21:26 < srevilak> Igel: yes. Will Rico's Desktop linux users group
21:26 < Igel> hey thats by u? hey jokeefe ha, nice! (will there be pizza? heh)
21:27 < jokeefe> not sure if there will be pizza
21:27 < Igel> hehe srevilak .. may be thats just a bostonphp thing...the pizza.. heh. i was just kidding
21:27 < Igel> whoa
21:28 < Igel> Introducing the Pirate Party of Massachusetts
21:28 < Igel> are we talking about libreplanet? #2?
21:28 < srevilak> I may not make it.  Arlington is having a public meeting on Mass Ave Corridor project.
21:28 < srevilak> Igel: yes, #2
21:28 < srevilak> who else is going?
21:28 < Igel> ooh hoho... wicked!
21:29 < Kendra> I might make it. 
21:29 < jokeefe> cool
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: any words of note on your talk?
21:31 < jokeefe> still writing it
21:31 < Igel> hmmph
21:31 < srevilak> you've got time :)
21:32 < srevilak> ready to move on?
21:32 < srevilak> 3. Nov. 6th, Wed., Berkman Center Mesh Network Cryptoday, Cambridge/Somerville 
21:33 < srevilak> From what I gather, the Berkman folks are planning to spend the day playing with mesh networks
21:33 < srevilak> but it's during the day
21:34 < srevilak> Igel: any interest?
21:34 < Igel> yeah a ton... i bumped into kit about 2 weeks ago
21:34 < Kendra> Again, if time permits I might make it ove there.  So you have a link?
21:35 < jokeefe> might be able to drop by during lunch.  where will it be?
21:35 < Igel> we talked specifically mesh networking, and freifunk, and soluions
21:36 < srevilak> jokeefe: when Kit mentioned it, he didn't give time or location
21:36 < Kendra> We can him and email asking to send the link
21:36 < Igel> and i countered a few thinks which raise a brow regarding some laws and the current infrastructure in germany. (eu too)
21:36 < srevilak> Kendra: agreed.  We can follow up with Kit
21:36 < Igel> i want to yeah 
21:37 < Igel> so if he wants to point us all in teh right direction for the overal "day" thats in his mind....
21:37 < srevilak> open questions noted
21:37 < Igel> i read in the cambridge chronicle about a hackday... is this related?
21:39 < srevilak> Igel: Don't know.
21:39 < srevilak> I think the Berkman event is mostly for Berkman folks (rather than open to public)
21:40 < srevilak> Ready to move on?
21:40 < Igel> yessir
21:40  * Igel looking for the link
21:40 < Igel> ok ok 
21:40 < Igel> has to be diff
21:41 < srevilak> 4. Nov. 9th, Sat., Scorpion Bowl, Positronic Design, 903 Dwight St, Holyoke
21:41 < srevilak> I believe that Bluestreak and JCFiero are going.  Any others?
21:41 < jokeefe> Should be there
21:43 < Igel> sorry i have class 
21:44 < srevilak> jokeefe: do you know if there's a cover/cost for the event?
21:45 < jokeefe> don't know let me check
21:46 < jokeefe> Food and Drink Donations Welcome
21:47 < Kendra> I would need to carpool to that.  I wanted to mention that we have the option to have the holiday party at either Industry Labor out of the Blue Gallery on Dec 28.  The gallery says there cannot be loud bands.  Versus would like to host the party and asks for a cut of the door maybe 10-15%  and otherwise we can have music over there.   They also are applying for a 501c3 and can't endorse any political parties, so t
21:48 < srevilak> tradeoffs
21:48 < Kendra> It's business as usual.
21:49 < srevilak> Kendra: was your earlier sentence cut off?
21:50 < Kendra> i don't know, see the entire statement I just put up there. 
21:50 < davidd> http://lists.pirateweb.net/pipermail/pp.international.general/2013-October/014885.html
21:50 < srevilak> ok
21:51 < srevilak> hi davidd 
21:52 < jokeefe> good for them.  thanks davidd
21:52 < davidd> so help me, where is mn located in the US?
21:53 < davidd> what are the neighbouring states
21:53 < Kendra> It's Midwest region near minnesota
21:54 < Kendra> excuse me wisconsin
21:54 < davidd> was it part of the north during civil war?
21:55 < Kendra> If I had to guess it was, it is on the Canadain border. 
21:55 < srevilak> Minnesota is north (borders canada).  Not sure when they came into the union
21:55 < davidd> is it one of those empty states like north dakota?
21:56 < davidd> i think "spacious" is the pc word
21:56 < srevilak> davidd: http://www.infoplease.com/states.html
21:57 < srevilak> surrounded by wisconsin, iowa, and the dakotas
21:57 < Kendra> No it has big cities and is modern.  Minneapolis St. Paul is a pretty big area.  
21:59 < srevilak> web version of mnpp announcement: https://mnpirateparty.org/pirate-party-minnesota-vision-for-freedom-and-transparency/
21:59 < davidd> is there contact between masspirates and mnpirates?
21:59 < jokeefe> yes
22:00 < davidd> good
22:01 < davidd> well for the US i really feel closest to either mass or ohio
22:01 < davidd> i like the general mindset of those states
22:01 < srevilak> Ready to move on to Nov 17th in person meeting?
22:02 < davidd> ow excuse me i wasnt aware i was interrupting something
22:02 < davidd> carry on
22:02 < davidd> nn
22:03 < srevilak> davidd: I'm about to give you a seque to interrupt :)
22:03 < srevilak> Next IPM will be @ a pizzaria in Allston.  Goal is to talk platform + politics, rather than planning and logistics.
22:04 < srevilak> And hopefully to bring a new face or two.
22:04 < srevilak> Seems like we should have a short list of topics to discuss, so we don't spend the evening chatting about baseball
22:04 < srevilak> Topic suggestions?
22:05 < Kendra> Open source software, digital privacy advocacy, Consitutional Rights violations, Couter surveillance
22:06 < Kendra> counter
22:07 < srevilak> Kendra: would you want to talk about issues, or policies that we might form?
22:08 < jokeefe> suggest starting with http://www.piratenpartei.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/parteiprogramm-englisch.pdf as a draft.  go through and see what things we can approve off the bat, note where we have disagreement
22:09 < srevilak> I like that idea
22:09 < Kendra> I can talk about some of the party platforms. 
22:10 < jokeefe> Or UK PP Manifesto - http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/media/uploads/Manifesto2012.pdf
22:11 < srevilak> should we be writing our own manifesto?
22:11 < Igel> volt mentioned http://uspirates.org/values-and-name/
22:12 < Igel> is this relevant?
22:12 < jokeefe> like the values
22:13 < Kendra> Are we just talking about speaking at the next in person meeting or something more involved?
22:14 < srevilak> Kendra: just getting discussion topics for next in-person meeting
22:14 < Kendra> thanks
22:14 < srevilak> I noted resources in summary of http://masspirates.org/wiki/October_31th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
22:15  * Igel puts in calibre
22:15 < srevilak> calibre?
22:15 < Igel> oh, ah... the ebook manager (the pirati party pdf)
22:16 < srevilak> davidd: once upon a time, you sent a list of suggestions for doing dinner meetings/discussions.
22:16 < srevilak> Do you happen to have that list handy?
22:17 < davidd> uhm
22:18 < jokeefe> I think the suggestion was for it to not just be social.  pick a topic and discuss it
22:18 < davidd> can you name an example?
22:18 < jokeefe> also - http://piratetimes.net/organising-a-regular-meeting/
22:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: that's what I was looking for.  thx
22:19 < davidd> yes, most people already have a circle of friends they do drinks with, dont need another group of friends just for the sake of it
22:19 < jokeefe> faster than google… sometimes, srevilak
22:19 < srevilak> :)
22:19 < davidd> make it worth their while for coming
22:19 < srevilak> davidd: agreed
22:19 < srevilak> anything else on IPM?
22:20 < davidd> even more than debate topics, people like doing something like organising a campaign of some sorts
22:20 < srevilak> good idea
22:21 < srevilak> noting that time is 22:20, but I think we're nearly done
22:21 < srevilak> Nov. 23rd cryptoparty in Lowell
22:21 < srevilak> Planning notes: https://pad.riseup.net/p/nov23-crypto
22:23 < srevilak> shaping up to be a decent event
22:23 < davidd> 03:23 ovrhere
22:23 < davidd> nn 
22:23 < srevilak> nn?
22:23 < davidd> night night
22:23 < srevilak> ah!
22:24 < srevilak> On to fundraising?
22:24 < Igel> there was a speaker at dmc did the mooc -- i wanted to invite to the lowell cryptoparty 
22:25 < Igel> fclass
22:25 < srevilak> Igel: could you add to pad, and get in touch with the speaker?
22:25  * Igel look on cal.. yep on there now
22:26 < srevilak> (Although -- is mooc on topic for a cryptoparty?)
22:26 < Igel> nope
22:26 < Igel> but she does politics by internet classes
22:27 < srevilak> Igel: I may have misunderstood.  You meant invite to present, or invite to attend?
22:27 < Igel> and could be interested in basic PGP communications between her collegues, etc..
22:27 < Igel> sorry no for to ehhe...yes... to attend
22:28 < srevilak> oah, ok
22:28 < Igel> i think she mentioned shes in lowell -- just a thought.. 
22:28 < srevilak> Please invite.  The more the merrier
22:28 < Igel> ok hey 1 quick Q did you email kit? i had somthing in draft folder
22:29 < srevilak> Igel: haven't mailed Kit yet.  I'm mono-tasking :)
22:29 < Igel> fo'sho :D
22:30 < srevilak> So, back to fundraising
22:30 < srevilak> Kendra: from what you said earlier, looks like Out of Blue Gallery and no band, or Innovation Labs, and maybe not billed as a pirate event
22:30 < srevilak> is that right?
22:30 < jokeefe> or we rent it
22:31 < jokeefe> at Ilabs
22:31 < Kendra> I think that's pretty much the case.  I think they have a lease so they have to be careful. 
22:31 < srevilak> For a pirate party fundraiser, I'd think we'd want to use the pirate name, no?
22:33 < Kendra> I di not hear that we cannot promote it in our name, just taht versus cannot endorse a specific party.  it is not a super formal situation, just one of the signers of the lease has to be on the premises during the event. 
22:33 < srevilak> ah, got it
22:33 < Kendra> I think it will work out since we would likely do our own promotion.  Most people there are just renting a desk. 
22:35 < srevilak> Do other groups (aside from MAPP) every use Ilabs space for meetings/events?
22:35 < jokeefe> I have to head out unfortunately.  sugar high ending and was up late last night.  good night folks.  thanks!
22:35 < srevilak> nn, jokeefe 
22:35 < Kendra> I think they encourage use of the space, so they are flexible. 
22:36 < Kendra> i know they have a monthly gathering and there have been other music events there.  
22:37 < srevilak> Good.
22:38 < srevilak> This has some relation to mass campaign finance law.
22:38 < srevilak> If Ilab didn't let other groups use their space, then we'd have to rent
22:39 < Kendra> In that case giving a portion of the proceeds to VS or Industry might work.  Otherwise I don't know what to say.  I would assume that other renters could
22:40 < Kendra> host a party for a political purpose also. 
22:40 < srevilak> ok.  Will check OCPF opinions for anything relevant
22:40 < Kendra> I am sure it is spelled out somewhere in the fine print.  
22:41 < srevilak> anything else on fundraising?
22:42 < Kendra> Are we just raising money through an admission or are we using other strategies to ask for donations once people get there?  and sorry I gott go soon too. 
22:42 < srevilak> Kendra: I think we can do both.
22:43 < srevilak> Or, maybe simplify by having tiered admisions?
22:43 < srevilak> We're currently running a negative bank balance, so fundraising is becoming more important.
22:44 < Kendra> You always ask repeatedly.  It's annoying, but it has to be done.  you can put envelopes around the room during the event for donors. 
22:45 < srevilak> Public radio wisdom: the pitch really doesn't sink in until ~ the fifth time they hear it.  Repetition works
22:45 < Igel> yaar
22:46 < Kendra> Are we about done?
22:46 < Igel> thar be pillows to be rested on 
22:46 < srevilak> Kendra: I think so
22:46 < Kendra> All move to adjourn, 2nd?
22:46 < srevilak> Second
22:47 < Igel> yaar 
22:47 < Igel> :D
22:47 < Kendra> Good nite, sleep tight and nn