September 12th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Freedom Rally

  • Decide on setup plan
  • MeshNet site plan - going forward
  • Flyers ordered
  • FSF says they will join our table
  • Setup announcement on youtube channel

Day Against DRM

  • FSF setup some events on the 18th. Waiting for details

Party Conference

Set for 9/29

Planning pirate pad

Video Newsletter

Freedom Rally?

Statements

  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr, Tom Rodman / Milwaukee

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_12th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay,
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Freedom Rally
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Did you contact them about a table and the cost?
[9:05pm] jokeefe: I haven’t.
[9:05pm] jokeefe: I looked at sites and found some good spaces.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: between where we were last year and the park street station
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: 1350 is a bit much
[9:07pm] jokeefe: agreed.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Wanted to see what hours you were available.
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe I rub the guy the wrong way?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: I doubt it
[9:10pm] jokeefe: We have the option of setting up when we want, though we have to add and remove stuff.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: When should we setup?
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: I can get get you the equipment but I will not be able to stay
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: I have my disabled son this weekend
[9:13pm] jokeefe: No worries
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: I do have two popups though
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Do you want to drop the stuff off here?
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: At your place?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: If you can
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Sure, I can get it to you tomorrow morning but you will need to send me your address again.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Will send it to you.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus I have my screen
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: For a projection that is.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I am not sure we can use it, but drop it by and if we can we will
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: I also almost have things lined up to do videos again.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Good
[9:18pm] jokeefe: So you are busy both days?
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: It will be difficult for me with my son.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:20pm] jokeefe: thanks for your help
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: I am sorry I can't do more but we are better off not bring him yet, he is too young.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Been there
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Day Against DRM
[9:22pm] jokeefe: There seem to be some activities on the 18th.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Party Conference
[9:24pm] jokeefe: The schedule draft is:
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Schedule
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Time                            Event
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 9:00am-10:00am        Breakfast, Meet & Greet
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 10:00am-11:00am     
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 11:00am-noon           
[9:24pm] jokeefe: noon-1:00pm              Lunch
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 1:00pm-2:00pm         
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 2:00pm-3:00pm         
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 3:00pm-4:00pm          Lightning Talks
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 4:00pm-5:00pm         
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 5:00pm-6:00pm         
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like to stream the entire event if possible.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Steve is working on it
[9:25pm] jokeefe: We have three two hour blocks
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Great.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: how do you think we should organize it between platform, how tos, discussion
[9:26pm] jokeefe: what do you think?
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I would leave it to the speakers
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: We had a lot of speakers last year.
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Is that not the case this year?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: we don’t have that many this time so we have more time for discussion and planning
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: I see
[9:28pm] jokeefe: how about platform & discussion 10-noon, how to & other talks 1-3pm, more platform & discussion 4-6
[9:29pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, we should do an hour block for recaps. I would prefer you to do this part if possible.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: 10am - where to focus our efforts
[9:30pm] jokeefe: 11am - platform discussion brainstorming
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, a where we stand as a party, national party efforts, etc.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Where to focus our efforts should be at the end? I think.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: hmmmm
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: So that we go out with our call to actions right at the end.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Recap in the last hour?
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: In fact, we could call it "Call to action"
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: I would put the recap in with the summary at the start
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Brb
[9:34pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I tried to put my son to bed 3 times now....
[9:38pm] jokeefe: that is tough
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I hope this works.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: good luck
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Lol, no more baby drama for you?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: not until grandchildren, many years from now
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry for the interruption
[9:39pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: I think we can fill in some space if we call on what happened at the EU as well.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: true
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: How government there and here are locking down on our freedom and rights.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Do you have someone that we could have as an online guest speaker?
[9:41pm] jokeefe: I believe we will have a speaker on mesh nets
[9:42pm] jokeefe: and will have one on sex worker rights
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, great.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: plus we have time for lightning talks
[9:43pm] jokeefe: so two hours of talks
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: We should do a piece on crypto since we focused on it so much this year.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Good idea.
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe we can reach out to a few internet security companies so we can get sponsored. I know you do it too.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: I think we have people to cover it.
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: So maybe someone at your company would be interested to speak on the matter?
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, I just see it as an opportunity to have them support us one way or another. 
[9:46pm] jokeefe: not sure
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Pad that bank account
[9:46pm] jokeefe: we cannot take corporate money
[9:46pm] jokeefe: I am starting to fade. Still not completely over the cold. How about I put up a draft schedule tomorrow over the email list and we can discuss it there and make a final decision next meeting?
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Not corporate money, but yeah
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, I hope you feel better soon.
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to adjourn?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: All in favor?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: all in favor
[9:48pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night sir.
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: And aye
[9:48pm] jokeefe: good night to you too
[9:48pm] jokeefe: hope you get some sleep
[9:48pm]