September 18th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Citizens Rising
    1. Endorse?
    2. Who is going?
  2. Software Freedom Day Cryptoparty
    1. Blog post - done
    2. Email - in the last two, will send one out Friday morning
  3. Freedom Not Fear event - firm date/time? Suggest What the Fluff festival in Somerville
  4. Maker Faire 10/4 update - cryptoparty table idea posted
  5. Wikileaks 8th BRICnic/Birthday Party, 10/4
    1. Choose time, 1pm conflicts with Maker Faire if we get a table
  6. PirateCon 2015
    1. Survey - CiviCRM site up, working on the survey

Events Summary

Anyone planning to attend either the MIT key signing party or Citizens Rising?

  1. Sep 19, 5p-9p. Citizens Rising: A Republic Held Hostage And The Plan To Take It Back
  2. Sep. 20, 9a-5p. Software Freedom Day. Industry Lab 288 Norfolk Street, Cambridge, MA. We're doing a cryptoparty from 10:30 - noon.
  3. Sep. 26th. DMC in-person meeting. 4pm?
  4. Sep. 26-29, Freedom Not Fear wiki
  5. Sep. 27th. Jobs NOT Jails Coalition Meeting: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Freedom House 5 Crawford Street, Dorchester, MA 02121
  6. Oct. 4, 9am-6pm, MIT Maker Faire
  7. Oct. 4, Wikileaks birthday/BRICnic
  8. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • kendra (Kendra Moyer, currently in Somerville, MA)
  • davidd (David van Deijk, Eindhoven Netherlands)

Observers

  • bp
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Campaign Status. No update on Noe's campaign. No update on Joe's campaign.

Citizen's Rising. Kendra, Steve, and perhaps Jamie going. We take a vote to endorse. Motion passes with no objections.

Should be all set for Saturday's Cryptoparty.

Freedom not fear. Would make sense to use this event for candidate outreach. Union Square/Fluff fest would work well for Noe. For Joe, it would need to be an event in his district.

Possibly do something to support project secret identity: https://projectsecretidentity.org/.

Good event to stop at endorse this event and do some community outreach: Jobs NOT Jails Coalition Meeting: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Freedom House 5 Crawford Street, Dorchester, MA 02121.

Changes in mass campaign finance law require us to move to the depository system by Jan 1st. Steve will attend an OCPF training session on Nov 20th.

Minutes

 
20:58 < jokeefe> ahoy!
20:59 < srevilak> hi all
21:00 < Bluelustreak> Early results are "no" in Scotland. :-(
21:01 < jokeefe> it is early yet
21:01 < jokeefe> Agenda at
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_18th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < jokeefe> srevilak, did you get the sign up list from Sat.?
21:01 < jokeefe> ahoy all!
21:02 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes.  Have signups transcribed in a spreadsheet
21:02 < jokeefe> would you send it to me or upload it to mailchimp?
21:02 < Kendra> Hi All
21:02 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'll try uploading to mailchimp.  Should get
      familiar with it anyway
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Orkney, no
21:04 < jokeefe> but by how much?
21:04 < jokeefe> it is the final vote count that matters
21:04 < srevilak> according to guardian, they're just starting to get
      early results
21:05 < Bluelustreak> I am not optimistic
21:05 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you be able to do that tonight?  I want
      to get an email blast out for the morning
21:05 < srevilak> jokeefe: will try
21:05 < srevilak> jokeefe: if I fail, I'll send you the spreadsheet :)
21:05 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:06 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < jokeefe> agenda:
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_18th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:07 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, currently in Somerville, MA
21:08 < Bluelustreak> jokeefe did you get my emails about the badges
      and the sticky?
21:09 < jokeefe> yes, responded/ing
21:09 < Bluelustreak> OK: One:
21:09 < jokeefe> 1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
21:09 < Bluelustreak> make it so... Was hoping YOU could post the sticky
21:09 < Bluelustreak> My head is very thick
21:09 < jokeefe> Will do it, just not tonight
21:09 < Bluelustreak> past few days and still
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Before Sat is soon enough
21:09 < jokeefe> No update on Noe's campaign.
21:10 < Bluelustreak> and two the badges will come in the mail
21:10 < jokeefe> ok
21:10 < Bluelustreak> by noon, there will be ladies there, yes?
21:10 < srevilak> any update from Joe's campaign?
21:10 < jokeefe> Probably, Bluelustreak
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Since FR? nopw
21:10 < Bluelustreak> nope
21:10 < jokeefe> ok
21:10 < jokeefe> moving on
21:11 < Bluelustreak> Waiting for his badge art
21:11 < jokeefe> 2. Citizens Rising
21:11 < Bluelustreak> jokeefe, recoomend a sign maker?
21:11 < jokeefe> Who is going?
21:11 < srevilak> I'll be there, probably arriving around 6:30
21:12 < jokeefe> find three sign makers in your area and go with the
      most reasonablly priced
21:12 < Bluelustreak> Can you go, jokeefe?
21:12 < Kendra> I am going over.  At some point hopefully closer to 6pm.
21:12 < jokeefe> Hoping to go, but likely later
21:12 < jokeefe> Endorse?
21:12 < Bluelustreak> I think you need to make the case to Lessig why
      he should speak for us
21:12 < Kendra> Aye to endorsing.
21:12 < Bluelustreak> move to endorese
21:12 < Bluelustreak> 2nd
21:12 < srevilak> let aye to endorsing
21:13 < jokeefe> any not in favor?
21:14 < jokeefe> I have no objections personally
21:15 < Kendra> did I miss something about Lawrence Lessig and this event?
21:15 < Bluelustreak> jokeefe sent you an email about the signs pls check.
21:15 < jokeefe> will do so after the meeting
21:15 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:16 < jokeefe> 3. Software Freedom Day Cryptoparty - we are all set,
      yes?
21:16 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think we're all set
21:16 < Kendra> We should have enough to fill the time.
21:16 < jokeefe> good enough for me
21:16 < jokeefe> 4. Freedom Not Fear event
21:17 < Kendra> What are the plans so far?
21:17 < jokeefe> We have campaigns.  Flyering in downtown boston doesn't
      help those campaigns.  Suggest each of the campaigns flyer in their area
      with some aspect of the Freedom not Fear idea in what they give out.
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: I like the idea of doing it at fluff fest
21:18 < srevilak> Union square would probably be good outreach for Noe
21:19 < srevilak> do we need a new flyer?
21:19 < jokeefe> aye!
21:19 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, does that work for Joe's campaign?
      We must turn people out to help.  All we need are dates/times/locations.
21:21 < jokeefe> Basically, any objections to leaving it to the campaigns?
21:21 < srevilak> no objections
21:22 < Kendra> none here
21:22 < Kendra> I was wondering what the primary activity or focus of
      Freedom Not Fear is.  Is it a keynote speech and workshops?
21:22 < Bluelustreak> There has to be *something* going on in his district
      this fall. I will look into when I am feeling better.
21:23 < jokeefe> Whatever folks want.  Seem to be workshops
21:23 < srevilak> kendra: http://www.freedomnotfear.org/
21:23 < srevilak> Kendra: probably more activities in EU than in US
21:23 < jokeefe> Ok, so leave it to the campaigns with a big dose of
      get out the volunteers
21:25 < jokeefe> They don't have to be on the same day after all.
      Noelani's effort could be the 27th and Joes the 28th
21:25 < jokeefe> Sooner we know the better so we can get the word out.
21:26 < Kendra> Are we going to have some action we do or is this more
      about flyering?
21:26 < jokeefe> 10/4 Events
21:26 < jokeefe> waiting to hear if we have a table at the MIT MakerFaire
21:26 < srevilak> Kendra: more about campaign outreach, I think
21:27 < srevilak> jokeefe: any idea on when we might hear from the Maker
      Faire folks?
21:27 < Kendra> Good place to showcase those buttons.
21:27 < jokeefe> No, but I will send an email off tonight.
21:27 < jokeefe> tentative time for Wikileaks B-day/BRICnic is 1pm.
21:27 < srevilak> If we get a table, I think we'll wind up splitting
      our resources
21:27 < Bluelustreak> Keep knocking on Clay's door to edit those graphics
21:28 < jokeefe> will do, Bluelustreak
21:28 < davidd> David van Deijk, Eindhoven Netherlands
21:28 < davidd> hi guys
21:28 < Bluelustreak> All issue buttons need to have our info on them
      to direct traffic to our blog
21:28 < jokeefe> yes, srevilak, but it might bring more folks in
21:28 < srevilak> hello davidd
21:28 < jokeefe> hi davidd
21:28 < Kendra> hi davidd
21:29 < Bluelustreak> I am not a big fan of BRICnicing
21:29 < davidd> so i dont know if this is a good time
21:29 < Bluelustreak> It tends to draw ppl we already work with or
      already have their own gigs
21:29 < davidd> but i have a suggestion for an action
21:29 < Bluelustreak> What david d
21:29 < davidd> https://projectsecretidentity.org/
21:29 < davidd> it is based on  ^^
21:30 < Bluelustreak> Online anonymity ? FUCK YES
21:30 < davidd> basicly have a couple of signs with you and suggest
      people go on a picture holding a sign
21:30 < davidd> i expected you;d like it Bluestreak
21:31 < davidd> but it doesnt have to be at a comicon
21:31 < Bluelustreak> And submit it... where?
21:31 < davidd> it doesnt have to be those examples of signs, you can
      have different slogans
21:31 < Bluelustreak> NVM
21:31 < Bluelustreak> I see it
21:31 < davidd> doesnt really matter where? twitter? fb? the site ?
21:32 < Kendra> Just have a real secret identity.
21:32 < srevilak> Have your picture taken with our guy fawkes mask :)
21:32 < davidd> it can bring people over the threshold
21:32 < davidd> strike a conversation etc
21:32 < davidd> new member
21:32 < davidd> or new volunteer
21:32 < jokeefe> agreed
21:33 < davidd> thanks for listening
21:33 < davidd> we are working at such a thing in the netherlands too
21:34 < jokeefe> great!
21:34 < srevilak> with a couple of pictures, could make for a nice
      blog post
21:34 < davidd> i also think the guy fawkes mask is a great idea
21:34 < davidd> will suggest it overhere
21:35 < jokeefe> So 10/4, if we don't get a table at the maker faire,
      I think 1pm for the BRICnic sounds good.
21:35 < srevilak> Agree with 1pm for BRICnic
21:35 < jokeefe> if we do, 6pm is going to be a bit cold and dark.
21:36 < srevilak> I'm hoping that anoninmass can help turn a few
      people out
21:36 < jokeefe> agreed
21:36 < srevilak> BRICnic was the site of the Michael Brown Rally.
      Would be nice to tie two together somehow
21:37 < srevilak> Maybe would could ask Lolita and/or brother charles
      to help get the word out
21:37 < srevilak> could all be boiled down to an anti-oppression message
21:38 < jokeefe> good points
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Certainly secret identities tie in to protesting
      a spy center
21:38 < jokeefe> agreed
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Have ppl hold the signs there
21:38 < jokeefe> makes sense to invite those to organized the last rally
21:39 < jokeefe> any objections to 1pm and we do our best to be at both
      events if need be?
21:39 < Bluelustreak> If there is no table to "man" at the maker faire,
      I will take on making the signs for the BRICNIC
21:39 < Bluelustreak> No objections
21:39 < Kendra>  Good event to stop at endorse this event and do some
      community outreach: Jobs NOT Jails Coalition Meeting: Saturday, September
27, 2014 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.  Freedom House 5 Crawford Street, Dorchester,
      MA 02121
21:39 < Kendra> No objection here
21:40 < jokeefe> thanks, Kendra!
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Move to endorse
21:41 < jokeefe> ok, hearing no objections, 1pm it is
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Move to endorse JNJ
21:41 < Kendra> 2nd
21:41 < srevilak> aye to endorse JNJ
21:41 < Kendra> aya
21:41 < jokeefe> aye
21:42 < srevilak> timing works out.  Could attend JNJ, then head over
      to BRIC
21:42 < jokeefe> cool
21:42 < srevilak> timing works out.  Could attend JNJ, then head over
      to freedom not fear
21:43 < Kendra> Thanks for getting over there
21:43 < jokeefe> Last thing is PirateCon 2015 - haven't had a chance to
      play with the survey in CiviCRM yet
21:44 < srevilak> jokeefe: I have free time on Sunday to do some
      experimentation
21:44 < jokeefe> If you can that would help alot.
21:44 < srevilak> seems like hooking drupal webforms to civi might be
      what we need
21:45 < srevilak> Friend of mine told me about Civicrm meetups in
      the area.  Would like to attend a few
21:45 < jokeefe> lets keep in touch, I might have time to work on
      it Sunday.
21:45 < jokeefe> anything else on the agenda?
21:45 < srevilak> I have quick quartermaster report
21:45 < jokeefe> great!
21:46 < srevilak> We've changed our mailing address with OCPF.
      They'll now mail PO box
21:46 < srevilak> CHanges in Mass campaign finance law require us to
      move to the depository system on Jan 1st
21:46 < srevilak> Major difference: filing finance reports 2x month.
21:46 < srevilak> We do some of the filing, bank does some of the filing
21:47 < srevilak> I've signed up to attend an OCPF traning on Nov 20th
21:47 < srevilak> After the training, I'll try to get things lined up w/
      our bank
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Won't affect the campaigns, just the PAC right?
21:47 < jokeefe> yes
21:47 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: yes, just the PAC
21:47 < Bluelustreak> I may attend that with you Steve, if I may
21:47 < jokeefe> the campaigns will likely close down by 12/31/14
21:48 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: will send you a copy of notice from OCPF
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Thanks!
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Wow, what an efficiently run meeting
21:49 < jokeefe> Anything else?
21:49 < Bluelustreak> We are done, i think.
21:49 < Bluelustreak> You coudl answer my sign questions...
21:49 < Bluelustreak> :-D
21:50 < jokeefe> doing so
21:51 < Bluelustreak> PING! Got the OCPF notice, TY
21:51 < srevilak> If all is done, motion to adjourn?
21:51 < Kendra> 2nd
21:51 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:51 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:51 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
21:51 < jokeefe> aye
21:51 < Bluelustreak> aye
21:51 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:52 < Kendra> ayw
21:52 < Kendra> nite
21:52 < jokeefe> thank you srevilak
21:52 < jokeefe> motion passes