September 19th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Freedom Rally

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Party Conference

Set for 9/29

Planning pirate pad

Upcoming Events

  • 9/19, International Talk Like a Pirate Day
  • 9/23-30, Together Boston, Cambridge
  • Sept., Party Conference
  • 9/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 9/26, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Sep/Oct, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • Sep/Oct, Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location

Participants

  • jokeefe, James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • srevilak, Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • Pirate_Joe, Joseph Onoroski, Lowell

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr, Tom Rodman / Milwaukee
  • trisk

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_19th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:07pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:07pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Just one thing.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: I have availability this weekend to do a few videos.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like to do a few to prepare for the conference.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Sounds good to me
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Will add it to the end
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Review - Freedom Rally
[9:11pm] jokeefe: The mesh network worked well
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Awesome!
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Massmesh net is hoping to come back next year with a better network
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: How long did the setup take?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Will update the db with the sign ups
[9:13pm] jokeefe: The network took several hours
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Friday and Saturday morning
[9:14pm] jokeefe: With tweeks on Sunday morning
[9:14pm] jokeefe: The meshing software worked well.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Projects - Party Conference
[9:15pm] jokeefe: https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPConference2018
[9:15pm] jokeefe: The schedule is roughly:
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Schedule
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Time                            Event
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 9:00am-10:00am        Breakfast, Meet & Greet
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 10:00am-11:00am     
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 11:00am-noon           
[9:15pm] jokeefe: noon-1:00pm              Lunch
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 1:00pm-2:00pm         
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 2:00pm-3:00pm         
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 3:00pm-4:00pm          Lightning Talks
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 4:00pm-5:00pm         
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 5:00pm-6:00pm         
[9:16pm] jokeefe: The Discussion Topics we have so far are:
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Yearly review/where we stand as a party/what to focus on going forward
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Party Platform Additions
[9:16pm] jokeefe: How to Run for Local Office (jokeefe)
[9:16pm] jokeefe: How to Organize a Local Chapter
[9:16pm] jokeefe: How to Organize an Event
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Other ways to serve (JoeO)
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Sex worker rights (DesmondR) - 30 minutes
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Intro to MassMesh Network (igel?)
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparty howto (lunch?)
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Suggestions for what to place in the open spaces?
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:17pm] jokeefe: 10-11am: Yearly review/where we stand as a party
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe joined the chat room.
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Am I connected?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:18pm] srevilak: Pirate_Joe: yes
[9:18pm] jokeefe: 10-11am: Yearly review/where we stand as a party ?
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:18pm] srevilak: oh dear
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe joined the chat room.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: technical difficulties?
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, my laptop cord was cut and apparently my phone internet is shakey but I got wifi for these problems.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: glad you are back
[9:20pm] jokeefe: 10-11am: Yearly review/where we stand as a party ?
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: So I am sorry for the delay and interruptions.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: 11-12: Platform topics
[9:21pm] jokeefe: 1-2pm: Running for office / local organizing
[9:21pm] jokeefe: 2-3pm: More platform
[9:22pm] jokeefe: 4-5pm: Other ways to serve/Sex worker rights/Mass Mesh Net
[9:22pm] jokeefe: 5-6pm: what to focus on going forward?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: does that make sense as a schedule?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: can we consolidate some of these items?
[9:23pm] srevilak: That seems like a reasonable schedule
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Order ok?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: I am happy with it
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Maybe:
[9:24pm] srevilak: second, on the order
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Do we have an idea what platform we will be discussing?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 1-2pm: Platform continuation
[9:24pm] jokeefe: 2-3pm: Running for office / local organizing
[9:24pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:24pm] srevilak: I like that better
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe ?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Which platform topics to be discussed, ie meshnet, crypto, etc.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: FOIA, sex worker rights, economic development, worker rights
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, ty
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Perhaps move Sex worker rights to after lunch and put it as part of the platform
[9:29pm] jokeefe: presentation should go before discussion of the proposed platform item
[9:29pm] jokeefe: ok?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree
[9:29pm] srevilak: ok
[9:30pm] jokeefe: ok. That will shift things after lunch by a half an hour
[9:30pm] jokeefe: it will work
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: If we have a free block, I would like to see if I can get a guest speaker on tech in schools
[9:31pm] jokeefe: anything in particular?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: And how the state is developing schools in the nation.
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: It will take some convincing but I know a few people in the school system that are making some big changes
[9:32pm] jokeefe: i know of a possible speaker on school surveillance and student rights, but I don’t think that is what you are talking about.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: what big changes?
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Updating our old schools for a modern age.
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: The new multimillion schools.
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: *dollar
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: I dont have it locked down though.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: ok, if you can find a speaker we can find some time for them.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: we have the time for the Lightning Talks we can play with if need be
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I will let you know one way or the other in the next few days.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Do either of you have time to txt some volunteers this weekend? I have a list I can divide up and send to you
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: I will
[9:36pm] jokeefe: ok, will send it by tomorrow morning
[9:36pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:38pm] jokeefe: If you can put your names down for any of the tasks in https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPConference2018 that would be helpful
[9:38pm] jokeefe: srevilak: do you want to test the streaming this weekend?
[9:39pm] srevilak: this weekend may be challenging.  Going to yimbytown
[9:39pm] jokeefe: yimbytown?
[9:39pm] srevilak: YIMBY = yes in my backyard
[9:40pm] jokeefe: where will that be?
[9:40pm] srevilak: it's a conference for people who want to overcome exclusionary zoning
[9:40pm] srevilak: held at RCC
[9:40pm] srevilak: https://yimby.town/
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: I did. I will be available anytime after 7 on Friday
[9:41pm] jokeefe: sounds fun, srevilak. email me if you need any help testing streaming this week
[9:41pm] srevilak: ok
[9:42pm] jokeefe: any suggestions for how we could have people participate remotely?
[9:42pm] srevilak: jokeefe: do you mean panelists or audience
[9:42pm] jokeefe: members
[9:42pm] srevilak: IRC 
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Run the IRC in the background or announce questions?
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: We could also have YouTube streaming up and running
[9:45pm] jokeefe: requires a youtube account to comment, though. IRC doesn’t.
[9:46pm] srevilak: mumble actually works well for conference type things
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: We could probably run both, I hope.
[9:46pm] srevilak: but that's audio only
[9:46pm] jokeefe: true
[9:47pm] srevilak: Pirate_Joe: I'm planning to bring a video camera with an HDMI capture box (presents audio + video as USB serial stream)
[9:47pm] srevilak: If you have software to stream via youtube, we can plug my camera into your laptop
[9:47pm] srevilak: I haven't figured out how to make gstreamer work with youtube's streaming service
[9:48pm] srevilak: (youtube requires H.264, which is a PITA for linux users)
[9:48pm] srevilak: at least they required H.264 the last time I checked
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: Because its idiot proof so you probably over thought it.. I would be happy to show you.
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: I just need a good camera.
[9:49pm] srevilak: I will bring camera and capture box, and give you a USB output.  That work?
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: I can do it with any video imput
[9:49pm] srevilak: ok, sounds like we're settled
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes sir!
[9:49pm] srevilak: excellent
[9:49pm] jokeefe: I will bring an extra camera and two tripods. have tripod adapter for phone and could stream to youtube that way
[9:49pm] jokeefe: good
[9:50pm] jokeefe: We can test it at 9am on saturday
[9:50pm] jokeefe: yay!
[9:51pm] srevilak: I will have enough SD cards to record everything from the camera
[9:51pm] jokeefe: I will finish up announcements this week.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:51pm] srevilak: Hopefully my civi upgrade will go well
[9:51pm] srevilak: (will probably make it easier to send announcments)
[9:51pm] jokeefe: <crosses_fingers/>
[9:52pm] srevilak: We'll need a major version upgrade to get php7 compatibility, but the process looks straightforard
[9:52pm] jokeefe: yes, though was also thinking of craigs list/facebook/etc.
[9:52pm] srevilak: We'll need a major version upgrade to get php7 compatibility, but the process looks straightforward
[9:52pm] jokeefe: would be good to have the non-money sign up page working though 
[9:53pm] jokeefe: We are almost at time
[9:53pm] jokeefe: ok to move on to pirate news video recording?
[9:53pm] srevilak: no objections to moving on
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: I can start working on topics to do videos on tomorrow and Friday.  Leave Saturday and Sunday for recording
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe: Saturday/Sunday afternoons work best for me. when are you available?
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: Completely open do do a bunch since we have been quite for a bit.
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: All weekend. May have a a whole room available for recording too.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Ok. Let’s figure it out outside the chat.
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: We are at time
[9:59pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[9:59pm] srevilak: nothing here
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: I am behind in everything but I have the next few days to catch up.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Know the feeling
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: I also have some others looking to join from the Lowell area
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Cool.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn then?
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: So I am inviting them to the IRC
[10:00pm] srevilak: motion to adjourn
[10:00pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: All I
[10:00pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:01pm] srevilak: aye
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks Pirate_Joe
[10:01pm] srevilak: can post transcript
[10:01pm] jokeefe: Already did it
[10:01pm] srevilak: in that case, never mind 
[10:01pm] jokeefe: feel free to add a summary
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: I hope you both have a wonderful evening
[10:01pm] jokeefe: you as well
[10:01pm] jokeefe: may it be restful
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)