September 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Freedom Rally

Projects

Aaron James Campaign

Wikileaks Birthday

We are celebrating Wikileaks birthday on 10/4.

Where & when? Who will get the cake?

Rock Against the TPP - Boston

November Run for local office conference

The objective is to teach people to run for local office. Suggestions for speakers for:

  • running for representative town meeting
  • running for town-wide and city elections
  • what you can accomplish in local office.

Sign up sheet?

Upcoming Events

  1. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  2. 10/4, Wikileaks birthday party
  3. 10/19, 5pm, Last day to register to vote
  4. 10/22, BPL Cryptoparty
  5. 10/26, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  6. 11/8, Election Day
  7. 11/12, 12:30-5pm, Running for local office conference, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
  8. Dec?, Democracy/IT meeting
  9. Jan?, How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • wikirev
  • srevilak
  • Bluestreak
  • moses

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaai
  • Velveeta_chef

Summary

Freedom rally. Had a number of newsletter signups, and two voter registrations. Aaron gave a nice speech. Many Kudos to Jason for the setup/logistic work.

Aaron James campaign. Continuing to go door-to-door and set up media interviews.

Wikileaks birthday party. 10/4, which is a Tuesday. We'll do a stand-out in Kendall Square from 6:00-6:30 and then go to Asgard.

Rock against the TPP. Boston planning is progressing. Flyers will be available soon.

November Run for local office conference. Looking for panelists. Steve will do event signup form.

Minutes

 
21:02 < wikirev> I'm interested in starting a state party in Alabama.
        Emailed the national chair for info a couple of days ago but haven't
        heard back yet.  Just thought I'd pop in here and have a look.
21:02 < srevilak> hi wikirev
21:02 < wikirev> hi
21:02 < jokeefe> hmmm… will ask him to get back to you
21:03 < jokeefe> hi srevilak
21:03 < wikirev> I appreciate it!
21:04 < srevilak> wikirev: at the risk of jumping into the middle of a
        conversation, I'd check with your secretary of state's office, re: what
        it takes to start a PAC, a political party and/or a political designation
21:04 < srevilak> Then go ahead and get started on it
21:04  * srevilak isn't well acquainted with particulars of AL
21:05 < wikirev> Cool- that's exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks!
        Can you offer a source of info for the Pirate Party's specific guidelines-
        bylaws or something like that?
21:06 < jokeefe> I would keep it as loose as you can, but democratic
21:06 < srevilak> If it would help to see ours,
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Main_Page
21:06 < papegaai> Title: Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < srevilak> look under the "members" section
21:06 < jokeefe> we just copied the Swedish Pirate Party’s docs -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Articles_of_Agreement
21:06 < papegaai> Title: Articles of Agreement - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:07 < wikirev> Thanks to all! That will get me started for sure
21:07 < jokeefe> Got the code of conduct from 200 year
        old pirate codes of conduct  with mods of course -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
21:07 < papegaai> Title: Code of Conduct - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:08 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_20th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < papegaai> Title: September 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:08 < jokeefe> ids
21:08 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:08 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_20th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < papegaai> Title: September 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:09 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:09 < jokeefe> Review - Freedom Rally
21:09 < srevilak> 15 newsletter signups from Saturday (which I'll enter
        into civi)
21:10 < jokeefe> It seemed to go well.  On Sunday, I tried to hand out as
        many of the End the Drug War fliers, since they wouldn’t be a germane
        after 11/8
21:10 < Bluestreak> Finally
21:10 < Bluestreak> Ahoy
21:10 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluestreak
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: I wouldn't write those flyers off right away.
        Even if question 4 passes, it'll take a while before we get around to
        developing CMRs
21:11 < srevilak> (though, i should re-read the text of the flyer)
21:12 < jokeefe> True, but it does no good holding on to it considering
        the election is my thought
21:13 < jokeefe> now it is relevant
21:13 < jokeefe> I had to leave early, so I will check on the signups.
        I have two voter registrations to send in
21:14 < srevilak> excellent
21:14 < jokeefe> some others took forms
21:14 < jokeefe> other observations?
21:15 < srevilak> I was talking with Nick from PassMassAmendment.
        Would have been nice to have had some kind of petition to sign
21:16 < srevilak> Aaron gave a good speech
21:16 < srevilak> Overall, seemed like a good event to me
21:17 < jokeefe> Agreed.  Aaron’s speech is up at
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2016/09/18/aaron-james-masscann-freedom-rally-speech-video/
21:17 < papegaai> Title: Aaron James MassCANN Freedom Rally Speech Video |
        Massachusetts Pirate Party (at masspirates.org)
21:17 < Bluestreak> Jason did a great job, didn’t he?
21:17 < srevilak> absolutely!
21:17 < jokeefe> yes
21:17 < Bluestreak> Luckily Marina was there at the end to help him and
        his friend “Demon” pack up.
21:18 < Bluestreak> Wish I could have made it.
21:18 < jokeefe> cool
21:18 < jokeefe> Did you get all of the stuff or did Aaron get the
        banners, flyers and clipboards?
21:19 < Bluestreak> Um…
21:19 < Bluestreak> One sec.
21:21 < jokeefe> While you check - Projects - Aaron James Campaign
21:21 < Bluestreak> “Aaron got most of the literature and Pirate
        banners and other promotional stuff”
21:21 < jokeefe> Continuing to go door to door and setup media interviews
21:21 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluestreak
21:22 < wikirev> Thanks for letting me sitting in, guys.  I'll have
        to go in a minute.  I'm sorry to interrupt, but I lost my connection
        earlier. Would you mind reposting that info to help get us started down
        here in Alabama?
21:22 < srevilak>  wikirev: at the risk of jumping into the middle of a
        conversation, I'd check with  your secretary of state's office, re: what
        it takes to start a PAC, a political  party and/or a political designation
21:22 < srevilak> wikirev: at the risk of jumping into the middle of a
        conversation, I'd check with  your secretary of state's office, re: what
        it takes to start a PAC, a political  party and/or a political designation
21:22 < srevilak> wikirev: at the risk of jumping into the middle of a
        conversation, I'd check with  your secretary of state's office, re: what
        it takes to start a PAC, a political  party and/or a political designation
21:22 < srevilak> wikirev: at the risk of jumping into the middle of a
        conversation, I'd check with  your secretary of state's office, re: what
        it takes to start a PAC, a political  party and/or a political designation
21:22 < srevilak> oops :)
21:22 < jokeefe> sure. we just copied the Swedish Pirate Party’s docs -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Articles_of_Agreement
21:22 < papegaai> Title: Articles of Agreement - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:23 < jokeefe> Got the code of conduct from 200 year
        old pirate codes of conduct  with mods of course -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
21:23 < papegaai> Title: Code of Conduct - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:23 < wikirev> Thanks, and ahoy!
21:23 < srevilak> wikirev: IRC transcript will be up at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_20th,_2016_IRC_Meeting#Summary
        shortly after 10pm US/Eastern
21:23 < papegaai> Title: September 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:23 < jokeefe> email info(AT)masspirates.org if you have any questions
21:23 < wikirev> Thanks
21:24 < jokeefe> We are celebrating Wikileaks birthday on 10/4.  Where &
        what time?
21:24 < jokeefe> It is a weekday
21:25 < wikirev> Good luck to you crazy pirates :)  maybe see you
        next time
21:25 < jokeefe> night wikirev
21:25 < Bluestreak> What day of week?
21:26 < Bluestreak> is 10/4?
21:26 < Bluestreak> duh
21:26 < Bluestreak> not payinf attn
21:26 < Bluestreak> Tuesday 10/4
21:27 < Bluestreak> My house!
21:27 < Bluestreak> Then I don’t have to go anywhere! :-D
21:27 < jokeefe> :-)
21:28 < Bluestreak> If we are staying in Camberville, I like Asgard.
21:29 < jokeefe> srevilak?
21:29 < srevilak> Asgard is okay.  Though I did like the year where we
        had cake in Kendall Square
21:31 < jokeefe> The one at the British consolate
21:32 < srevilak> It was across the street from what's now the Microsoft
        building
21:32 < srevilak> near where hampshire street intersects main
21:32 < Bluestreak> Huh...
21:33 < Bluestreak> We could bring tables...
21:33 < jokeefe> I think that is where we met
21:33 < Bluestreak> Maybe we could get a permit? Put up the tent and
        the bunting?
21:34 < Bluestreak> Wear party hats and hand out flyers about the plight
        of JA?
21:35 < jokeefe> ahoy moses
21:36 < moses> ahoyy
21:36 < jokeefe> trying to plan Wikileaks birthday party
21:36 < moses> awsome, birthday orginizing is hard
21:36 < Bluestreak> Someone else would have to get the permit, but we
        would set up the party
21:37 < Bluestreak> We’ll bring cancles, too.
21:37 < jokeefe> We did Davis Sq. last year
21:37 < Bluestreak> Jamie can make buttons
21:37 < jokeefe> Got some attention, but it was during the day.
        Kendall Sq. is pretty dead after 6pm
21:38 < jokeefe> Boston is difficult to get into during rush hour
21:38 < Bluestreak> People have to work...
21:38 < jokeefe> true
21:38 < Bluestreak> So maybe just a nice sti down at Asgard!
21:39 < Bluestreak> Or… have something the w/e before in the daytime
21:39 < Bluestreak> ?
21:39 < Bluestreak> Sat the 2?
21:39 < jokeefe> That might work
21:39 < Bluestreak> Then we can do the permited thingy in Kendall sqaure.
21:40 < Bluestreak> Give out cake, buttons and flyers.
21:40 < jokeefe> could also do a standout from 6-6:30 in Central Sq. then
        go to Asgard
21:40 < jokeefe> on the 4ht that is
21:41 < srevilak> I like that idea
21:41 < Bluestreak> OK sure. Cake at Kendall or afters?
21:41 < jokeefe> would you put together a sign up form, srevilak?
21:42 < srevilak> will do
21:42 < jokeefe> at the end of the standout works
21:42 < Bluestreak> OK!
21:42 < Bluestreak> Signs?
21:42 < jokeefe> yes please
21:43 < Bluestreak> I think I will make a sandwich board.
21:43 < jokeefe> good
21:43 < jokeefe> will see if I can get signs made up.  either painted
        or silk screened
21:43 < jokeefe> Rock Against the TPP - Boston is proceeding
21:44 < jokeefe> flyers soon. please spread word
21:45 < jokeefe> and sign up before the tickets run out
21:45 < Bluestreak> link?
21:45 < Bluestreak> It’s going to be a Spontaneous Celebrations, yes?
21:45 < jokeefe> https://www.rockagainstthetpp.org/boston-ma/
21:45 < papegaai> Title: Boston, MA - Rock Against the TPP! (at
        www.rockagainstthetpp.org)
21:46 < jokeefe> or text ACTION to 617-981-6450.
21:47 < jokeefe> emailed about it and posted on blog
21:47 < jokeefe> November Run for local office conference
21:47 < jokeefe> Suggestions for speakers for:
21:47 < jokeefe>     running for representative town meeting
21:47 < jokeefe>     running for town-wide and city elections
21:47 < jokeefe>     what you can accomplish in local office?
21:47 < Bluestreak> mmm “Error page”
21:48 < Bluestreak> OK worked now
21:49 < jokeefe> good
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'm happy to talk about rep. town meeting,
        or what you can accomplish in local office
21:49 < Bluestreak> ALERT! Ticket is neeeded for enrty but
21:50 < Bluestreak> DOES NOT GUARANTEE IT
21:50 < Bluestreak> Arrive early.
21:50 < jokeefe> 250 seats
21:50 < Bluestreak> Jason thinks he is ready to run for office.
21:50 < jokeefe> good
21:50 < srevilak> Bluestreak: that's great
21:50 < jokeefe> will reach out to greens and others about the spealing
        on panels
21:51 < Bluestreak> He’s pretty fed up trying to jump through all the
        hoops and still getting fired.
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks Jasom!
21:51 < jokeefe> Jason!
21:51 < Bluestreak> I’ll tell him you said so
21:51 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you be able to put up a sign up sheet?
21:52 < srevilak> Sign up sheet for what?
21:52 < jokeefe> how to run for office conference
21:52 < srevilak> okay -- just making sure
21:52 < srevilak> I can put together a signup sheet
21:54 < jokeefe> thanks - might be good to the list talks and ask them
        to say which topics they are interested in
21:55 < jokeefe> anything else to discuss?
21:56 < srevilak> jokeefe: follow up question -- signup sheet to gather
        panelists, or signup sheet for attendees?
21:56 < jokeefe> attendees
21:56 < jokeefe> we can use email for panelists
21:57 < jokeefe> unless you think a sign up sheet for panelists makes
        sense
21:57 < srevilak> panelist signup is probably overkill.  Attendee signup
        is reasonable though.
21:58 < srevilak> agreed - we can use email for panelists
21:58 < Bluestreak> Agreed
21:58 < jokeefe> thanks for asking
21:58 < jokeefe> anything else?
21:58 < srevilak> nothing here
21:59 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:59 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:59 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:59 < srevilak> aye
21:59 < jokeefe> aye
21:59  * srevilak will post transcript
21:59 < jokeefe> thanks