September 25th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
  2. Boston Software Freedom Day
  3. Citizens Rising

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Sep. 26th. DMC in-person meeting. 4pm?
  2. Fluff Fest/Freedom not Fear/Flyering
    1. Sep. 26-29, Freedom Not Fear wiki
    2. Need a blog post
  3. Sep. 27th. Jobs NOT Jails Coalition Meeting: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Freedom House 5 Crawford Street, Dorchester, MA 02121
  4. Oct. 4, 9am-6pm, MIT Maker Faire Lucia and Jason doing set up.
    1. cryptoparty table idea posted. Who will present? And what?
  5. Wikileaks 8th Birthday Party, 10/4. Suggested: Celebrate during and after Maker faire

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero))
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • ANONinMASS
  • kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal

Events Summary

  1. Sep. 26th. DMC in-person meeting. 4pm?
  2. Sep. 26-29, Freedom Not Fear wiki
  3. Sep. 27th. Jobs NOT Jails Coalition Meeting: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Freedom House 5 Crawford Street, Dorchester, MA 02121
  4. Oct. 4, 9am-6pm, MIT Maker Faire
  5. Oct. 4, Wikileaks birthday/BRICnic
  6. Nov. 5, Million Mask March
  7. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Summary

Campaign status updates. Noe campaigning at fluff fest on Saturday. Fluff fest runs from 3-7pm. Campain meeting Sunday morning at 10am. For Joe, have some pins designed, but no events planned.

Software Freedom Day Cryptoparty went reasonably well. Steve did packet sniffing; Noe did PGP and Mailvelope; Kendra did Jitsi. Around 35 people attending.

Citizens Rising. Kresge was about 50-75% full! Pretty good crowd and all of the civic-minded groups were there in force. Unfortunately, no new contacts from the event.

Oct 4th. We agree to focus our efforts on Maker Faire, and postpone bricnic. We'll have a wikileaks party after Maker Faire, perhaps at ASGARD in Cambridge. srevilak will set up civicrm event for Asgard wikileaks party.

Million mask march. Potential event for 11/5/2014.

Minutes

 
21:00 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_25th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:01 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Somerville, MA
21:03 < jokeefe> Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
21:03 < Bluelustreak> After you Noe
21:03 < noe> Candidate:  still alive!
21:03 < jokeefe> yay!
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Breathing is good.
21:03 < ANONinMASS> ahoy
21:04 < jokeefe> busy Saturday at Fluff Fest, campaign meeting on Sunday
21:04 < noe> Erm, I am going on vacation from 10/1-10/8, but will do
        some stuff including a campaign meeting at 10am my place on Sunday.
21:04 < jokeefe> ahoy ANONinMASS
21:04 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy!
21:04 < noe> ahoy!
21:04 < noe> jokeefe:  we should decide on a time for Saturday?
21:04 < jokeefe> aye
21:04 < Bluelustreak> Well, we will tell ppl about you at MIT
21:05 < srevilak> noe: jokeefe I believe fluff fest starts at 3pm.
        Maybe campaign at 4pm?
21:05 < srevilak> Or 3pm :)
21:05 < jokeefe> 3-7pm
21:07 < jokeefe> I am game for when you want noe/srevilak, will need to
        drive kid at 5pm for a bit
21:07 < jokeefe> can talk offline
21:07 < jokeefe> What is the update with Joe, Bluelustreak
21:07 < Bluelustreak> FB PM, VM Email... nuthin
21:08 < noe> (If you need to drive, earlier is better, so we can say
        3-4:30?)
21:08 < Bluelustreak> I have a lovely pin designed for him but no events
        planned. There is a fair this Sat
21:08 < srevilak> noe: 3-4:30 works for me
21:08 < Bluelustreak> But I have forsworn working this weekend
21:09 < jokeefe> thanks for the update, Bluelustreak
21:09 < Bluelustreak> He went to the forum
21:09 < Bluelustreak> But has not reported to me how it went. I was
        unable to go :-(
21:09 < jokeefe> good he could go
21:09 < Bluelustreak> He could just make a video in his room and that
        would be something.
21:10 < noe> True!
21:10 < noe> Ahoy
21:10 < Kendra> hi
21:10 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:10 < Bluelustreak> He was pretty disappointed that I couldn't make it.
21:10 < jokeefe> Quick update on Boston Software Freedom Day / Citizens
        Rising?
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy!
21:10 < srevilak> jokeefe: we had a nice 90-minute segment
21:10 < srevilak> I demonstrated packet sniffing
21:11 < srevilak> Noe did PGP and Mailvelope
21:11 < srevilak> Kendra did Jitsi
21:11 < Bluelustreak> Thank you both.
21:11 < srevilak> About 35 people attending
21:11 < srevilak> I wore MAPP T-shirt; Will introduced Noe as a pirate
        candidate
21:12 < Kendra> seems like there are more people coming out tothings
21:12 < Bluelustreak> Excellent
21:12 < jokeefe> cool!  good reaction?
21:12 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think so.  Noe, Kendra - how would you
        rate it?
21:13 < noe> I think so!  I re-met a few people.  I'd give it a B, but
        only because the space was a bit small for the number of people attending
21:13 < Kendra> Good turn out and a more broad audience,  more women
        and peopel of color.
21:13 < jokeefe> very cool
21:13 < noe> Some people got weirded out by the close quarters and had
        to either leave or take breaks.
21:13 < ANONinMASS> I'm available to help where ever you need me on
        Saturday
21:14 < jokeefe> thank you
21:14 < Bluelustreak> Yay! Thanks Bry!
21:14 < Bluelustreak> Facebook a good way to coordinate? Or by text?
21:15 < Bluelustreak> for you, ANONinMASS
21:15 < ANONinMASS> Text me. I do not have FB messenger on my phone..
21:15 < jokeefe> going to jump to 10/4 planning
21:15 < noe> Citizens Rising:  I think Kresge was about 50-75% full!
        So, a pretty good crowd and all of the civic-minded groups were there
        in force.
21:15 < jokeefe> We have the table at the MIT Mini Maker Faire
21:15 < jokeefe> thank you, noe.
21:16 < jokeefe> how was the crowd reaction?
21:17 < srevilak> jokeefe: crowd seemed receptive to the speakers
21:17 < noe> Generally, I felt the speakers were preaching to the choir!
        I did make some connections and hand out my card, but I haven't had any
        pings back yet.
21:17 < srevilak> noe: agreed, there was a certain amount of preaching
        to choir
21:17 < jokeefe> did you get any names we can look up?
21:18 < srevilak> No names, but one good quote
21:18 < noe> For our own signal boosting:  nope.
21:18 < srevilak> "I don't care who does the electing, as long as I get
        to do the nominating". Boss Tweed
21:19 < jokeefe> especially if only one candidate gets nominated
21:19 < jokeefe> any other observations?
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Check y'all's texts for Bryan's number.
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Anyone approach Lessig?
21:19 < noe> But there are groups doing interesting things that we
        probably know about:  NH Rebellion, PassMassAmendment, etc...
21:20 < noe> I did not get a chance to approach Larry.  :(
21:20 < Kendra> Tooo mnany people around him to get close .
21:20 < Bluelustreak> I wish I could have been there.
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Cuz I'm pushy.
21:20 < Bluelustreak> I am not giving up on this idea I have of getting
        him to speak at PC2015
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Reformulating
21:21 < jokeefe> ++
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Kendra question?
21:21 < Bluelustreak> When are you here until?
21:21 < Kendra> wednesday
21:22 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: you might try contacting
        info@rootstrikers.org
21:22 < Bluelustreak> OK call me later.
21:22 < noe> Also, on the subject of groups:  15 Now New England will need
        to canvas for the vote in November for 10th Suffolk's ballot initiative.
21:22 < Bluelustreak> OK I will look into that!
21:22 < Bluelustreak> Could you rephrase that Noe?
21:23 < jokeefe> thanks, noe
21:23 < Bluelustreak> You need who to do what now?
21:23 < srevilak> noe: can we do some canvassing on Saturday (or
        incorporate that into campaigning?)
21:23 < noe> We don't need to do anything, but if you know people who
        live in that district, feel free to poke them and spread the word.
21:24 < srevilak> we should discuss plans for 10/4 - Bricnic & Maker Faire
21:24 < jokeefe> lets talk offline, srevilak / noe
21:24 < noe> We can mention it!  I do endorse 15 Now, even though they
        were unsuccessful in our area, and we can talk about it.
21:24 < jokeefe> agreed
21:24 < noe> BRICnic!
21:25 < jokeefe> 10/4 - we have the maker faire from 9-6pm
21:25 < noe> Big thank yous to both Jason and Lucia.
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Jason and I will be doing set up
21:25 < srevilak> sounds like first question is division of labor
21:25 < jokeefe> need people who can teach security/tech privacy
21:26 < Bluelustreak> I have my unused Tor updated presentation
21:26 < srevilak> jokeefe: I can do Maker faire (and forego bricnic)
21:26 < jokeefe> yay!
21:26 < Bluelustreak> I should make slides
21:26 < jokeefe> that is the thing.  I don't know if we can cover both.
21:26 < Bluelustreak> Well the thing about Bricnic is...
21:26 < jokeefe> ANONinMASS, what do you think?
21:26 < srevilak> maker faire is just tabling, correct?
21:27 < Bluelustreak> Jamie and I were talking with Alex today and we
        all feel that it's not coming together.
21:27 < jokeefe> aye, but we gotta show people so it is a handson
        cryptoparty
21:27 < Bluelustreak> No there is way more to Maker Faire
21:27 < Kendra> make buttons
21:27 < srevilak> jokeefe: in terms of reaching new people, Maker Faire
        may be a better opportunity
21:27 < ANONinMASS> I can help with whatever you need captain
21:27 < jokeefe> agreed
21:27 < Bluelustreak> We could also have a cryptoparty how-to
21:28 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: maker faire is a table, yes?
21:28 < Bluelustreak> FYI our spot is outside
21:28 < Bluelustreak> in the quad
21:28 < noe> It sounds like people want to refocus and concentrate on
        maker faire
21:28 < noe> I think that is not a bad idea.
21:28 < noe> (as i will be out of state)
21:28 < jokeefe> what about having a wikileaks birthday after maker
        faire and then put effort into the million mask march on 11/5?
21:28 < Bluelustreak> They provide us with one table and a tent
21:28 < Bluelustreak> two chairs. We will bring another table and
        more charis
21:29 < Kendra> just do buttons and flyers
21:29 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think wikileaks after Maker faire sounds
        more manageable
21:29 < noe> agreed
21:29 < Bluelustreak> They said I could give out cupcakes if they are
        stor bought and I have the store's liabilty waiver
21:29 < srevilak> If we focus on Maker faire, I can commit to a 9-6p
        AMA about cryptography
21:29 < Bluelustreak> I will call Whole Foods
21:30 < Bluelustreak> AMA?
21:30 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: AMA = ask me anything
21:30 < jokeefe> sounds like a plan.  where to have the birthday party?
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Asguard
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Agard
21:31 < Bluelustreak> it's so cool in there.
21:31 < jokeefe> ooooh, haven't been there.
21:31 < Bluelustreak> That's not too far is it?
21:32 < jokeefe> not far.
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Walking distance, I am sure.
21:32 < noe> Asgard in Central Square?
21:32 < jokeefe> yes
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Closer to MIT end but yeah
21:32 < noe> Its near Tosci's
21:32 < Bluelustreak> ASGARD
21:32 < Bluelustreak> spelling counts
21:33 < Bluelustreak>
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asgard-Irish-Pub-Restaurant/182749148419838
21:33 < noe> so, have we decided that we will focus on maker faire?
21:34 < noe> or should we vote on that?
21:34 < noe> Bye Bye BRICnic?
21:34 < Bluelustreak> Motion to focus on maker faire
21:34 < jokeefe> Any objections to postponing the bricnic?
21:34 < Bluelustreak> DMC update just came in...
21:35 < Bluelustreak> When you are ready.
21:35 < noe> I second the motion.
21:35 < jokeefe> all in favor of postponing the bricnic?
21:36 < Bluelustreak> aye
21:36 < ANONinMASS>  aye
21:36 < srevilak> jokeefe: agree to postpone bricnic
21:36 < jokeefe> aye
21:36 < noe> aye!
21:36 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:36 < Bluelustreak> Thanks for shifting gears so easily, Bry!
21:37 < jokeefe> abstentions?
21:37 < Bluelustreak> May I update y'all about DMC?
21:37 < jokeefe> ok moving on
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Suren just messaged me.
21:38 < Bluelustreak> There is no meeting tomorrow.
21:38 < jokeefe> thanks for the update
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Moving E5 was super time-consuming so DMC is
        on hold.
21:38 < Kendra> aye to postpone
21:38 < Bluelustreak> So one less thing on our docket each week, for now.
21:38 < jokeefe> wikileaks birthday - motion to have at asgard - here
        is the menu http://www.classicirish.com/asgard-menu.php
21:39 < Bluelustreak> 2nd
21:39 < Bluelustreak> :-D
21:39 < Bluelustreak> It's like a castle inside.
21:40 < jokeefe> srevilak, could use civicrm to take reservations, yes?
21:40 < noe> all in favor of having wikileaks birthday at asgard?
21:41 < ANONinMASS> aye
21:41 < jokeefe> aye
21:41 < srevilak> aye
21:41 < noe> aye
21:41 < Kendra> aye
21:41 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, we could set up a civicrm event
21:41 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:41 < jokeefe> or abstentions?
21:41 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:42 < srevilak> jokeefe: will work on civicrm event this weekend
21:42 < srevilak> jokeefe: also, check your @riseup.net email for status
        on PirateCon 2015 survey
21:43 < jokeefe> I will get the post out about Fluff fest tonight,
        probably, and an email about 10/4 events Monday morning
21:43 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak, will do so.
21:43 < Kendra> gotta go, nite all
21:43 < jokeefe> noe, will finish updates to flyer design
21:43 < jokeefe> tonight
21:44 < noe> jokeefe:  you are awesome
21:44 < srevilak> jokeefe: time permitting, can give a brief civi demo
        on Sun.  If appropriate
21:44 < jokeefe> Think we covered everything on the agenda.
21:44 < jokeefe> ANONinMASS, have you heard any plans for the 11/5
        million mask march?
21:44 < Bluelustreak> Thank you so much!
21:44 < jokeefe> that would be fine, srevilak, we can talk Sat. too.
21:45 < jokeefe> missed one thing
21:45 < jokeefe> Would anyone be able to go to the Sep. 27th. Jobs NOT
        Jails Coalition Meeting?
21:45 < ANONinMASS> I have not, I headed last years in Boston, and will
        most likely take the reigns for the event again. I will talk to some of
        the Anons in the community here and see what they are doing. I know some
        are going to DC
21:46 < noe> What time is that meeting again?
21:46 < Bluelustreak> I will help you Bry.
21:46 < jokeefe> thanks, ANONinMASS.  Would like to support and get the
        word out
21:46 < jokeefe> Sunday?
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Let's stay in touch.
21:47 < ANONinMASS> I would love to help where ever you need me
21:47 < jokeefe> thank you.  When I see you on Sat., I can show you
        about email filters. :-)
21:47 < Bluelustreak> ++
21:48 < Bluelustreak> So gald you came tonight Bry
21:48 < Bluelustreak> glad, too
21:48 < ANONinMASS> Me too, sorry about not being around lately.!
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Life happens
21:48 < jokeefe> no worries, life gets hectic
21:49 < jokeefe> thanks for attending
21:49 < ANONinMASS> no prob!!
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'm 50/50 for being able to attend JNJ
        coalition meeting.  Depends on whether I'm meeting with Suren that morning
        (to talk Drupal)
21:50 < jokeefe> ok, thanks
21:50 < noe> I really want to go, but my schedule is crazy.
21:51 < Bluelustreak> I can't
21:51 < jokeefe> In other news: Bluelustreak and I met with some other
        folks who are focusing on creating a coalition to craft legislation
        to deal with police profiling, surveillance, war toys and the like.
        Good meeting.  Looking to find others who are willing to help.
21:51 < Bluelustreak> Comprimise
21:51 < Bluelustreak> Yes, lovely to see Alex as always
21:52 < Bluelustreak> I like Ben very much was already following him on
        Twitter... apparently
21:52 < jokeefe> We will be meeting weekly.  Will keep folks updated.
        Hope to have legislation we can propose and support in the next month
        or so.
21:52 < Bluelustreak> We need a constituional atty
21:53 < Bluelustreak> I spoke to my mother, a retired criminal and family
        law atty
21:53 < jokeefe> yes, if you know of a lawyer who is willing to help
        craft the bill's/ordinance's language, that would help
21:53 < Bluelustreak> She also suggested we troll the Berkman center
21:53 < noe> should we troll the ACLU?
21:53 < noe> i know there is a Mass office, but I don't know where
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Who wants to go trolling the next open house
        with me?
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Noe? Berkman center?
21:54 < jokeefe> we know them and others are reaching out to them.
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Also, Kit might be able to suggest someone
21:54 < noe> would do, as long as i'm in state
21:54 < Bluelustreak> I will email him
21:54 < Bluelustreak> I will check the schedule fer the next one.
21:55 < Bluelustreak> I understand you need a vacation. thats cool
21:55 < Bluelustreak> James was gone for weeks!
21:55 < srevilak> if we're finished, I motion to adjourn
21:55 < Bluelustreak> Real life is important too!
21:55 < jokeefe> any other updates?
21:55 < noe> i second
21:55 < Bluelustreak> I figure out how to edit buttons!
21:55 < jokeefe> but but we still have 5 minutes ;-)
21:56 < Bluelustreak> All by myself!
21:56 < jokeefe> yay!
21:56 < noe> all in favor?
21:56 < jokeefe> you go!
21:56 < jokeefe> noe 2nds
21:56 < Kendra> aye
21:56 < noe> aye
21:56 < Bluelustreak> I will never give out another issue button that
        does not have our contact info on it somewhere
21:56 < jokeefe> aye
21:56 < Bluelustreak> feh
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Absatin
21:56 < Bluelustreak> (kidding)
21:56 < jokeefe> folks can still talk
21:57 < jokeefe> gonna need something to keep me up while I write stuff.
21:57 < Bluelustreak> Check your texts!
21:57 < Kendra> nite
21:57 < Bluelustreak> I sent y'all Bryan's # for Sat
21:57 < noe> i'm heading to bed.  nite all!
21:57 < jokeefe> okley dokley
21:57 < Bluelustreak> in case you don't have it
21:57 < jokeefe> nigh noe
21:57 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluelustreak
21:57 < Bluelustreak> What are you writing? Mebbe I can help
21:58 < jokeefe> emails, blog post about Sat., updates to Noe's flyer
21:58  * srevilak will post transcript