September 26th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Freedom Rally

Planning doc: https://piratenpad.de/p/FreedomRally2017

Decisions/Endorsements

  • Monthly publications

Projects

Digital Right of Repair

Hearing was today. Now we need to get legislators to support it. Details. Time to start making calls to volunteers and then to members.

Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year. Additionally, it would be good to have candidate trainings in Western Mass. (Holyoke?), Worcester, Boston-area.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Fundraiser

Other To Dos

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Squee: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester

Observers

  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • igel
  • papegaai
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Freedom Rally Review

What worked:

  • The educational outreach resounded. It was a good way to interest people and very helpful.
  • The line: "We want you to have privacy and the government not to" was effective at getting people's attention

Things to improve:

  • people really still have no idea who we are, though they really liked what we had to say when they took a moment to listen. If we are going to gain momentum, then it's important that we get people to know we are here for them.
  • we need two people to do the live streaming: one to keep watch on the live stream and one to talk with people on camera
  • we need more frequent events
  • we need to do a better about encouraging to people to volunteer and we should do more advanced training
  • we need to work on the layout of the booth and signage
  • generator was noisy and we couldn't really put distance between it and our booth. backup batteries could work well if we have enough of them and remember to charge them nightly
  • we should do a mock setup at your house or something to figure out the layout ahead of time

We should also ask other pirate parties for advice.

Monthly publications

  • We could post 10 minute videos on a regular schedule. Topics would be pirate takes on news, information sessions and interviews.
  • We should swap out who the hosts on a regular schedule so we can keep the perspective very fresh
  • After a monthly news feed is established, then we can do other videos on other topics such as protecting your privacy
  • We can do a contest among our volunteers, asking them for the name and they get to be on the first show!
  • We will announce it on the email list, then lets refine it and put a survey out to members for topics
  • Name ideas:
    • Pirate News Now
    • Cannon blasts
    • Broadsides
    • Boarding Party

Digital Right of Repair Bills

Discussed holding a public event in support of these bills. We could invite people to bring dead phones to build a "device graveyard" and have a mock funeral procession, stopping at different device stores, say Apple and others. Headstones would be decorated with facts about e-waste. We could stage it on the common and make a video.

Minutes

 


[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_26th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] papegaai: Title: September 26th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:01pm] Squee: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:02pm] Malt: Sam
[9:02pm] Malt: Whoops
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Review - Freedom Rally
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Sorry, anything to add to the agenda?
[9:03pm] Squee: Yes
[9:04pm] Squee: Monthly Publications
[9:04pm] jokeefe: added
[9:05pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand-crafted IRC client)
[9:06pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: What did we do right at Freedom Rally? What could we improve?
[9:07pm] Squee: We did very well connecting with people at the rally. I had an amazing response and connection with people when I was doing things live.
[9:07pm] Squee: But the camera view was bad....
[9:07pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Have you had a chance to edit the videos?
[9:09pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:09pm] Squee: I have not, issues with my main comp's powersource
[9:09pm] jokeefe: No worries
[9:09pm] Squee: My laptop does not have the processing power to handle video editing.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: your observations of Freedom Rally, Malt?
[9:10pm] Squee: It's more just having the time to fix it. I have 4 computers in my lab waiting for me to have a look at them.
[9:10pm] Squee: sry
[9:10pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:11pm] Squee: The other challenge I noted is that people really still have no idea who we are, though they really liked what we had to say when they took a moment to listen.
[9:11pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:12pm] Squee: Malt, good/bad for the rally?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I think we need two people to do the live streaming: one to keep watch on the live stream and one to talk with people on camera
[9:13pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:13pm] Squee: I don't think Malt's internet is working. If I get one of the pc's done I'll send it to him. <3
[9:13pm] Squee: After mine of course
[9:14pm] jokeefe:
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Decisions: Monthly publications
[9:14pm] jokeefe: what did you have in mind, Squee
[9:14pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:15pm] Squee: Before we move on...
[9:15pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:15pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:15pm] Squee: What are your thoughts Captin on the rally?
[9:15pm] Malt: Good rally
[9:15pm] Malt: Sorry
[9:16pm] Malt: The educational outreach resounded, I thought
[9:16pm] jokeefe: It was a good way to interest people and very helpful.
[9:16pm] Squee: I agree, though just letting people know who we are and what we do for them was important as well.
[9:17pm] Squee: If we are going to gain momentum, then it's important that we get people to know we are here for them.
[9:17pm] Malt: And that we have frquent events
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I appreciate everyone who came out to help. I think we need to do a better about encouraging to people to volunteer and we should do more advanced training.
[9:18pm] Squee: Best one liner ever to explain who we are by Jamie
[9:18pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:19pm] jokeefe: more frequent events would be good
[9:19pm] jokeefe: I think we need to work on the layout of the booth and signage
[9:20pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand-crafted IRC client)
[9:21pm] Squee: Yes, that was quite a challenge, esp since our screen didn't work
[9:21pm] jokeefe: I think backup batteries could work well if we have enough of them
[9:21pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Considering where we were, we couldn’t put the generater far away like the booth across from us
[9:23pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:23pm] Squee: I was also thinking you could take the projector screen (on loan) for the crypto parties
[9:24pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:24pm] Malt: It was a big crowd to do close work in
[9:26pm] Squee: Anything we could improve >8-(
[9:27pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:27pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:27pm] Squee: I give up, lol
[9:27pm] jokeefe: having a projector and screen where they aren’t helps
[9:28pm] Squee: Yeah, the screen didn't work out, but maybe we can work something out for next year.
[9:28pm] Squee: Do a mock setup at your house or something to figure out the layout.
[9:29pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:29pm] Squee: or my house
[9:29pm] jokeefe: the projector is the thing that requires the most power.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: we should also ask other pirate parties what they do
[9:29pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:30pm] Squee: If we did the battery packs they would be difficult to move in and out but much nicer in terms of effect
[9:30pm] jokeefe: I saw a PPDE booth picture, but i cannot find it now
[9:32pm] jokeefe: certainly need to remember to recharge them nightly
[9:33pm] jokeefe: ready to move on to Monthly publications?
[9:33pm] Squee: Si
[9:33pm] Malt: Sure
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Squee, what did you have in mind?
[9:34pm] Squee: I would like to push the Youtube channel through for this publications
[9:35pm] Squee: Duel hosts, current issues
[9:35pm] Squee: But being videos, we should keep the air time limited to 10 minutes or less
[9:36pm] jokeefe: pick a topic we can talk about in 10 minutes?
[9:36pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: http://www.kiwiirc.com/ - A hand-crafted IRC client)
[9:36pm] Squee: Well, more like a new channel with quick blasts of current events.
[9:36pm] Squee: news
[9:37pm] Squee: Current events that people need to know about
[9:37pm] Squee: I would let Malt come up with the titles, he has a knack for it.  Like weed news
[9:37pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:37pm] Malt: Would be neat to interview other progressive groups
[9:38pm] Squee: Also, we should swap out who the hosts on a regular schedule so we can keep the perspective very fresh
[9:38pm] Squee: One week, Malt and me, then Aaron and Jamie, etc
[9:39pm] jokeefe: I think the idea is good, but would prefer to keep it on the existing channel
[9:40pm] Squee: After a monthly news feed is established, then we can do other vids on things like Cryto blasts or something like that
[9:40pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:40pm] Squee: lolz, my bad. I meant for it to be on the current channel
[9:40pm] jokeefe: like Malt’s idea on projects, could ask people to submit ideas, then ask them to make the videos
[9:40pm] jokeefe: oh ok
[9:41pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:41pm] Squee: You can make playlists Jamie for different topics; News, Crypo, flying monkeys; etc
[9:42pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:43pm] Squee: I think news should start first and our first topic should be the weed bill though, since most of our newest followers would see that as a plus.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: I will bring it up to the cryptoparty list to see who wants to help
[9:43pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Newsbits?
[9:44pm] Squee: Pirate News Now?
[9:44pm] Squee: Cannon blasts?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: those are better
[9:45pm] Squee: hmmm
[9:45pm] Squee: Eye on the government?
[9:45pm] Squee: Today in your government?
[9:45pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:46pm] jokeefe: might not be only government we talk about
[9:46pm] Squee: True
[9:46pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:46pm] Squee: Lets do a contest amoung our volunteers then, asking them for the name and they get to be on the first show!
[9:47pm] Squee: After it's put to a vote of course
[9:47pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:48pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:49pm] Squee: I would like to also be able to do interviews, possible with in office politicians about where they stand on different issues.
[9:49pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:49pm] Malt: Broadsides
[9:50pm] jokeefe:
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Boarding Party?
[9:50pm] Squee: I like both of those a lot
[9:50pm] jokeefe: please announce it on the email list and then lets refine it and put a survey out
[9:50pm] jokeefe: in the next email
[9:51pm] Malt: Sorry I been in and out today
[9:51pm] Malt: I will work on worc library event
[9:51pm] Squee: Yes, if we can get additional names, then we could use them in future publications
[9:51pm] Malt: A run for office/ make trouble in the midterms deal
[9:51pm] jokeefe: agree
[9:52pm] jokeefe: thanks, Malt
[9:52pm] Squee: agree
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Projects - Digital Right of Repair - hearing today, urging people to call state rep/senate
[9:54pm] Malt: I had an idea for a public event on that
[9:54pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:54pm] jokeefe: what’s the idea?
[9:54pm] Malt: Invite people to bring dead phones to build a "device graveyard"
[9:54pm] Malt: Rally in front of apple stores?
[9:55pm] Malt: Headstones decorated with facts about e waste
[9:55pm] jokeefe: good points
[9:56pm] Malt: October appropriate
[9:56pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:56pm] Malt: We could stage it on the common and make a video
[9:57pm] Malt: Hold a whole mock funeral
[9:57pm] Squee: We could wear skull maskes too!
[9:57pm] Squee: With pirate hats!
[9:57pm] jokeefe: mock funeral would be good.
[9:57pm] Malt: Yessssssss
[9:57pm] Malt: Does the common have October festivities?
[9:58pm] Malt: Could we crash one?
[9:58pm] jokeefe: scheduled?
[9:58pm] jokeefe: not sure, would need to check
[9:59pm] jokeefe: e-waste funeral might get other groups interested
[9:59pm] Malt: Yes, it's a huge conservation issue
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Better start picking dates as October is filling up
[10:00pm] Malt: Yeah 
[10:00pm] Malt: I got hella weddings!
[10:00pm] Malt: Does Boston have a satanic temple?
[10:00pm] jokeefe: wouldn’t know
[10:00pm] Squee: ?
[10:00pm] Squee: y?
[10:01pm] jokeefe: Anyway. We are at time. focus on 2018 planning next time?
[10:01pm] Squee: Agreed
[10:01pm] Malt: Sure!
[10:01pm] Malt: Satanic black masses, atmospheric
[10:02pm] Squee: I second
[10:02pm] jokeefe: A generic funeral procession carries the right atmosphere
[10:03pm] jokeefe: shall adjourn?
[10:03pm] Squee: Aye
[10:03pm] Malt: Night!
[10:03pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:03pm] Squee: Good night everyone!
[10:03pm] jokeefe: good night all
[10:04pm]