September 2nd, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Free the Moderna Vaccine protest

Decisions/Endorsements

Party Conference

There were 11 submissions for our conference survey. I sent the results to the activists email list.

9 would prefer to meet remotely, 5 outsides with masks and social distancing and 3 inside with masks and social distancing.

7 wanted the conference to be one day, 5 over Sat/Sun, 3 over a week. Over two weeks or a month got 1 vote each.

Focus:

  • 9: Focus on deciding on a party platform
  • 9: How to workshops: protecting your privacy, file sharing, organizing, running for office, etc.
  • 8: presentations or groups discussions

Top topic choices were:

8 votes:

  • A pirate approach to education
  • Running campaigns

7 votes:

  • Building third-party coalitions
  • Ensuring we all have privacy
  • Fostering Free Software
  • Proposing local legislation
  • Pirate strategy
  • Surveillance and countersurveillance

6 votes:

  • Corporate power
  • Decentralized auditing of governments and corporations
  • Income inequality
  • Municipal organizing
  • Open government
  • Universal Basic Income, Job Guarantee and other approaches

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

5 in attendance. Set a list of objectives for the month.

Next one set for for 9/26, 11am-1pm

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Surveillance Mapping Event
    • Come up with a how to video
      • Paper
      • iPhone
      • Android
    • Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th
    • Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th
  • Party Conference - Fall
  • 2021 Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Bills

Federal

  • EARN IT Act
  • PATRIOT Act renewal

State

  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do


Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 8/29, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
  • 9/12, Boston Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • 10/17, Worcester Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • Fall, Party Conference

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • BobC (Bob Crowther, Hatfield)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey

Summary

Free the Moderna Vaccine protest. Well attended. Last for around an hour. See https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx2c_9B8YzXl_Ed4-a0y1646RuAcLOKme for video. The organizers are planning future events.

No Pirate news recording this week.

Party Conference. Remote conference was the predominant choice. One day event most popoular. Focus on deciding a party platform and presentations/group discussions. General feeling is to hold the conference after the election. Will do survey for dates and speakers. General feeling is for two days rather than one, even if the two days are shorter.

Joe and jokeefe post some articles about protests in Kenosha

Tech meeting. Went well. Next meeting set for Sep 26th.

Ranked Choice Voting. jokeefe reaching out to Yes on 2, to see if we can help.

Minutes

 
21:02 <@jokeefe>
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_2nd,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:02 <@jokeefe> ids
21:02 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:03 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:03 < BobC> Bob Crowther, Hatfield
21:03 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:03 < Malt> I'm crabby
21:03 < Malt> That's all
21:04 < Joe> brb
21:04 < Malt> Huh
21:04 <@jokeefe> hope your day improves, Malt
21:04 < Malt> It's 9pm
21:05 <@jokeefe> night then
21:05 <@jokeefe> Free the Moderna Vaccine protest
21:05 < srevilak> How'd it go?
21:05 <@jokeefe> Well attended. Only lasted an bour.
21:05 <@jokeefe> hour
21:05 < srevilak> (bour = 'bout an hour)
21:06 <@jokeefe> lol. Posted a bunch of videos at
       https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx2c_9B8YzXl_Ed4-a0y1646RuAcLOKme
21:06 <@jokeefe> which was interesting since I got roped into holding
       the banner the entire time in one hand and recording with my phone/camera
       in the other
21:07 <@jokeefe> lot of good speakers. great energy.  planning future
       actions.
21:08 <@jokeefe> welcome back
21:08 < Joe> Ty
21:08 <@jokeefe> Will post the videos this week on the blog.
21:09 < Joe> Awesome, thank you for that
21:09 < Joe> I know you have been busy
21:09 <@jokeefe> thankfully unexpected work holiday.
21:10 < Joe> In light of Labor Day, may we cancel next Sunday's vlog?
21:10 <@jokeefe> I am fine with that. I have 12 hours of driving this
       long weekend, so that would be nice.
21:11 < srevilak> No objections to skipping sunday
21:12 <@jokeefe> It is a plan then.
21:12 <@jokeefe> Can include that in the blog post about the protest
       videos
21:12 <@jokeefe> Party Conference
21:12 <@jokeefe> ahoy Malt
21:13 < Malt> Hi
21:13 <@jokeefe> we are canceling the vlog this weekend due to the
       long weekend
21:13 <@jokeefe> I emailed the results of the Party conference survey
       and a summary in the meeting wiki post
21:14 <@jokeefe> Remote conference was the overwhelming choice
21:15 <@jokeefe> Not much support for a two week/one month conference
21:16 < Malt> That makes sense
21:18 <@jokeefe> Workshops and focusing on deciding on a party platform
       got 9 votes of support
21:18 <@jokeefe> presentations or groups discussions got 8.
21:19 <@jokeefe> so all of the above! :-)
21:19 < srevilak> Sounds good
21:19 < BobC> agreed
21:21 < Malt> What do y'all want to p
21:21 < Malt> Cover
21:21 < Malt> ?
21:21 <@jokeefe> My thought is to have it after the November election
21:21 <@jokeefe> and encourage a platform discussion in the time in before
21:21 < srevilak> Regarding list of topics, I was entrigued by "a pirate
       approach to education"
21:22 < srevilak> agree: after election
21:22 < BobC> we could use the time to put it together
21:22 < BobC> agreed
21:22 < BobC> srevilak, also, I was curious what that was?
21:22 < srevilak> Me too
21:23 < Joe> Well, we are advanced in general (not including me) when
       it comes to tech, correct?
21:23 <@jokeefe> I integrated past topic suggestions into the survey
       and that was suggested.
21:23 < srevilak> ok
21:24 <@jokeefe> I suspect “how to we improve public education to push
       pirate values and learning important to pirates, especially liberation
       of the individual”
21:25 < Joe> Esp with the pandemic, turning to a tech solution for so
       many would be more beneficial for all. So integrating more tech/online
       class rooms as well as ensuring law, money and freedoms are taught.
21:25 <@jokeefe> so tech certainly, but also cooperative learning driven
       by students rather than the administration
21:28 <@jokeefe> Looking at dates, weekend of 11/7-8, 11/14-15, 11/21-22,
12/5-6, 12/12-13 look like possibiiities
21:28 <@jokeefe> could put up a survey to pick the date and ask for
       speakers
21:29 < Joe> I am trying to get one for the education part.
21:30 < Joe> Would be better if we could do 11/14 or 15
21:30 < srevilak> I'm partial to 11/14-15.    It's a bit away from
       Thanksgiving
21:30 < BobC> jokeefe, re: survey, that sounds good to me
21:30 <@jokeefe> True
21:30 < BobC> srevilak, I also am, because it's a bit after the election,
       and a survey could be informative
21:30 < Joe> Though I agree, survey would be the way to go
21:30 <@jokeefe> Any other dates to add?
21:31 <@jokeefe> And is two day conference workable?
21:31 <@jokeefe> Spreading things out could be good rather than craming
       it all into a 10am-6pm time window
21:32 < srevilak> I'm fine with two days
21:32 < Malt> Two days should be fine
21:32 < BobC> also fine with two days
21:32 < Malt> I don't know how much well cover
21:33 < Joe> Media people have been arrested from Portland
21:33 < Joe>
       https://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-police-arrest-3-journalists-during-violent-protests/
21:33 <@jokeefe> Discussions will be interesting. Could do them as
       different breakout groups at the same time to keep the numbers in
       each down.
21:34 <@jokeefe> Yeah, judge okayed it.
21:34 < Malt> It's all going to shit
21:34 < BobC> jokeefe, what does historical participation look like
       for attendees?
21:35 <@jokeefe> 10-30
21:35 <@jokeefe> Also this:
       https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/police-federal-agents-arrest-seattle-based-riot-kitchen-crew-that-stopped-in-kenosha-to-serve-free-food/
21:36 < Joe> omg, really?
21:37 <@jokeefe> apparently
21:37 < Malt> Disgusting
21:37 < Malt> Riot kitchen did nothing wrong
21:38 <@jokeefe> yeah
21:38 < BobC> Malt, nope, and this is more of the same (like when they
       dumped out milk at earlier protests)
21:39 < Malt> It's so just stupid
21:39 <@jokeefe> or dumped out water stores people put in the desert in
       the west
21:40 <@jokeefe> criminalizing care of others
21:41 < Joe> or reporting of....
21:41 <@jokeefe> who needs a free press
21:41 < BobC> jokeefe, that's a good way to put it
21:42 <@jokeefe> anyother dates to add to the survey or are the ones I
       listed comprehensive enough?
21:43 < Joe> Sounds good to me
21:44 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) meeting went well.
21:45 <@jokeefe> good attendence and have a list of tasks to do
21:46 <@jokeefe> Next one set for 9/26, IIRC.
21:47 < srevilak> Yes, 9/26 11am
21:47 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:48 <@jokeefe> Reaching out to the Yes on 2 people for how we can help.
21:48 <@jokeefe> I have no further updates.
21:49 < Joe> motion to adjourn
21:49 < srevilak> second
21:49 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:49 < BobC> aye
21:49 < Joe> aye
21:49 < srevilak> aye
21:50 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:50 <@jokeefe> aye
21:50 <@jokeefe> thank you, srevilak
21:50 < Joe> gn all