September 5th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Events
    1. No war in Syria 9/7
    2. Berkman Institute Open House, 9/9. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/wiki/Berkman_Center_Fall_2013_Open_House
    3. Freedom Rally, September 14 & 15 - Need organizers, announcement for volunteers. Volunteer signup at http://masspirates.wufoo.com/forms/q7x3a1/
    4. Constitution Day Speakout, September 17, Boston
    5. Boston Software Freedom Day, Sat., Sept. 21st, 9:30am - 5:30pm
    6. CryptoParty, Sat., Sept. 28th, ?
    7. Digital Media Conference, Cambridge, Oct. 25-27
    8. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Nov 6th, evening, Jamie speaking on the "Dangers of the Surveillance State
    9. Scorpion Bowl, Positronic Design, 903 Dwight St, Holyoke MA. Nov 9th
    10. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Dec 4th, evening, Steve speaking
  2. Endorsements
  3. Task list: Tasks http://piratenpad.de/SKwdoMqk26

Participants

  • davidd
  • Igel
  • srevilak
  • zby
  • kendra
  • js0000
  • black_van
  • Bluestreak

Summary

Meeting Minutes

19:32 [Users #masspirates]
19:32 [ davidd] [ Igel] [ srevilak] [ zby] 
21:03  * srevilak waves to everyone
21:03 < srevilak> hi everyong
21:04 < Kendra> Hi Everyone
21:05 < srevilak> hi kendra
21:05 < srevilak> so far, all quiet on the horizon
21:05 < Kendra> Hi Steve, did he send the agenda yesterday
21:05 < srevilak> I don't recall seeing one.
21:06 < srevilak> Started an agenda here: http://masspirates.org/wiki/September_5th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < Kendra> Thanks.  I have been looking at a few articles by this guy Bruce Schnier that are calling for internet engineers to reclaim the inet.  Pretty interesting stuff if anyone wants to take a look:  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/05/government-betrayed-internet-nsa-spying  and  https://www.schneier.com/essay-435.html  
21:10 < srevilak> Kendra: thanks for pointeres.  Schnier is what you could call a cryptography heavyweight
21:12 < srevilak> hey black_van 
21:12 < black_van> hey everyone
21:12 < srevilak> quiet so far.  Jamie won't be attending, and Lucia will be late
21:13 < srevilak> skeletal agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/September_5th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
21:13 < black_van> kk
21:13 < srevilak> Freedom Rally scheduling is an important topic
21:13 < srevilak> but we may want to wait for Lucia
21:13 < srevilak> hi Joe 
21:13 < Kendra> Hi Black van.  Steve, My next question was if you were familiar with Schnier's writing.  I think we have to move past hand wringing and start rethinking how to deal with broken encryption and with making those who hand information over and disregard the 4th Amendment accountable.   I am not exactly sure of who to complain to under the circumstance, as they all seem to be in bed together.  Who polices the NSA?   
21:13 < Kendra> Hi Joe
21:14 < Joe> Hello everyone
21:14 < srevilak> Kendra: I don't think anyone polices the NSA
21:14 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:14 < black_van> congress is supposed to
21:14 < Bluestreak> Sorry I'm late
21:14 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Arlington
21:14 < srevilak> black_van: yes, but congress has not been well-informed on these issues
21:14 < black_van> agreed
21:14 < black_van> nsa is also lying to them
21:15 < srevilak> Hey Bluestreak.  We're just making small talk
21:15 < Bluestreak> You moderating, Steve?
21:15 < Joe> Joseph Guertin, Bellingham
21:15 < srevilak> My attempt at skeletal agenda: http://masspirates.org/wiki/September_5th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
21:15 < Bluestreak> You rock thanks so much
21:15 < black_van> Sevan, Brighton MA
21:15 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:15 < Bluestreak> I have an event to add one sec
21:16 < Kendra> We have a lot of upcoming dates.  It should be busy right into winter time. 
21:16 < Bluestreak> Yay!
21:17 < Bluestreak> The law firm jason works with is haveing a free event
21:17 < Bluestreak> nibbles and wine
21:17 < Bluestreak> and beer n stuff
21:17 < Bluestreak> free with food
21:17 < Bluestreak> Oh and 1st amnd stuff (that's also important!)
21:18 < Bluestreak> http://www.princelobel.com/news-events-416.html read this pls
21:18 < Bluestreak> Jason and I are going, and we would like other Pirates to join us.
21:19 < Bluestreak> eve of 9/19
21:19 < Kendra> Is this invitation only?  Do people need to RSVP?
21:19 < srevilak> Also: what's the location
21:19 < Bluestreak> It's free, but you need to register.
21:19 < Bluestreak> Also each person can bring 3 guests
21:20 < Bluestreak> They just wnat to know how much food to order
21:20 < Bluestreak> Everyone here will be interested in wired journalism
21:20 < Kendra> I want to tell the people I work with at Versus News about it.  Is that OK?
21:20 < Bluestreak> Good place to talk about wikileaks, Barret Brown and Project PM...
21:20 < Bluestreak> Yes, pls
21:21 < Bluestreak> I hope you will be there, too K
21:21 < Bluestreak> I was telling Jason that on the phone
21:21 < srevilak> In terms of agenda, I think that Freedom Rally logistics was an important topic
21:22 < Bluestreak> yes but...
21:22 < Bluestreak> one sec
21:22 < Bluestreak> who will be marching Sat
21:22 < Bluestreak> Garret K is takin gthe lead on another Syria rally
21:22 < srevilak> I'll be there on Sat
21:22 < Bluestreak> I want to encourage ppl to get out there
21:22 < srevilak> Will garret be speaking again?
21:23 < Bluestreak> I will ask him to, but he took the inititiatve last week
21:23 < Bluestreak> (which is awesome)
21:23 < Kendra> I will go to as many of these as I can make time for. 
21:23 < Bluestreak> Anyone else want to speak?
21:23 < Bluestreak> Glad to hear it K
21:23 < Bluestreak> Jason and AJ and I should be there
21:24 < srevilak> Do we need pirate banner?
21:24 < Bluestreak> He is not at IRC because he is with his mother.
21:24 < Bluestreak> I have the big one
21:24 < Bluestreak> banner
21:24 < Bluestreak> but Jamie has the pipes
21:24 < Bluestreak> If you are coming Steve you could swing by and get them?
21:24 < Kendra> Where is the rally starting on Saturday?
21:24 < srevilak> I'll talk to Jamie: re pipes
21:25 < srevilak> Kendra: park street  1pm IIRC
21:25 < Bluestreak> Park St I think. lemme see if Garret is on FB
21:27 < srevilak> Announcement for Sat: http://act-ma.org/pipermail/act-ma_act-ma.org/2013/007192.html
21:27 < srevilak> Rally at Park St. Station (Tremont & Park Sts.), 1:00 PM 
21:28 < Bluestreak> Same FB event page only updated
21:29 < Bluestreak> get there as early as 10 am if you like but yeah, not until 1 pm
21:29 < Bluestreak> https://www.facebook.com/events/1417584815119642/ Speakersdont start until 1
21:30 < Bluestreak> OK moving on..?
21:30 < Bluestreak> Freedom Rally
21:30 < black_van> http://i.imgur.com/GWw4JwD.png
21:30 < Bluestreak> LOL
21:30 < Bluestreak> OK we need warm bodies at the table.
21:31 < Bluestreak> two day event
21:31 < Bluestreak> Jason and I are taking the lead and Garret has signed on for all day both days.
21:31 < Bluestreak> But two six hours days is rought. we need support
21:31 < Bluestreak> Jamie said he would help on Sunday, but if his wife is still unwell, I don't want to press him
21:32 < srevilak> Bluestreak: do we have pad, etc to sign up for times?
21:32 < Bluestreak> So... who can help table and when
21:32 < Bluestreak> yes one sec
21:32 < Bluestreak> http://masspirates.org/blog/2013/08/23/sign-up-to-spread-the-mpp-message-at-freedom-rally-914-915-2/ please us the form in this post
21:32 < Kendra> SO six hours each day?  If you guys take Saturday I can come give some relief as needed (1-2hours)and take a bigger chunk of Sunday.
21:33 < Bluestreak> Oh, Joan said she would help, too, but IDK if she signed on or not.
21:33 < Kendra> Is it 10-6 or so?
21:33 < Bluestreak> 12 to six iirc
21:34 < black_van> I might be able to come but I don't know when yet
21:34 < black_van> please try to get some people to sign up for the campus coordinator program
21:34 < black_van> we have two people so far that have shown interest
21:34 < Bluestreak> I sure hope you can make it Sevan, even just for an hour
21:34 < black_van> i'll do my best
21:34 < Bluestreak> Names black_van ?
21:34 < Igel> Aye
21:34 < black_van> idk, i'd have to go through my email. 
21:35 < Bluestreak> Sat 12-*8* Sun 12-6
21:35 < srevilak> I'll join for a few hours; need to coordindate schedules with my partner
21:35 < Bluestreak> If you could let me know later that would be great
21:35 < Bluestreak> Bring your partner! :-D
21:35 < Bluestreak> Whee!
21:35 < srevilak> Bluestreak: yes :)
21:35 < Bluestreak> Bringing Julie?
21:35 < Kendra> I can probably do 12-4 or 5 Sunday.  Might help some on Saturday, we'll see. 
21:36 < srevilak> Bluestreak: I'll try
21:36 < Bluestreak> Yay!
21:36 < srevilak> Aside from who's coming when, what other logistics do we need to work out?
21:36 < srevilak> (flyers, .... etc)
21:36 < Bluestreak> I am still waiting for instructions from Tom
21:36 < Bluestreak> He says they are forthcoming soon
21:36 < Kendra> Are we doing the same set up with the  table and the little tent?
21:36 < srevilak> Tom?  Event organizer?
21:36 < Bluestreak> I am just going to assume we need to be there with our gear at 10 at least
21:37 < srevilak> Ok.  What gear do we need to bring? :)
21:37 < Bluestreak> Tom is vendor coodinator
21:37 < srevilak> ah, thx
21:37 < Bluestreak> Lots od bottled water. Last year I asked ppl for a donation for water.
21:38 < Bluestreak> Lots of dry mouth.
21:38 < Kendra> Are y'all going full Pirate costumes again?
21:38 < Bluestreak> We would like ppl to dress up if possible
21:38 < Bluestreak> I have a couple of hats. One might work for you, Kendra
21:39 < Bluestreak> Jamie had some T shirts shipped here so we can bring them
21:39 < Kendra> Getting close to Halloween, any excuse to dress up allowed for the next 2 months.
21:39 < Bluestreak> LOL
21:39 < Bluestreak> Bring a chair!
21:39 < Bluestreak> bring a camp chair if you want to sit!
21:39 < srevilak> So, costumes, water, chair.  Voter reg forms.  Sign-up sheets?
21:40 < Bluestreak> I have the flyers
21:40 < Bluestreak> And a clipboard
21:40 < Bluestreak> but srevilak could you get me some voter registration forms?
21:40 < Bluestreak> I have none
21:40 < srevilak> can do
21:40 < Kendra> MPP Brochures and if we can get them the Restore the 4th cards we got at the one march
21:40 < Bluestreak> When are you getting there srevilak ?
21:41 < srevilak> On 14th -- not sure yet
21:41 < srevilak> If I'm not there at the beginning, will find a way to get voter reg forms there
21:42 < Bluestreak> Good enough for me!
21:42 < Bluestreak> OK so after IRC be sure to SIGN THE FORM http://masspirates.org/blog/2013/08/23/sign-up-to-spread-the-mpp-message-at-freedom-rally-914-915-2/
21:42 < srevilak> will do
21:42 < Bluestreak> Very important
21:42 < Bluestreak> OK moving on?
21:42 < Bluestreak> Berkman institute. That is Kit Walsh's gig
21:43 < Bluestreak> he mentioned it at the cryptoparty then went ahaed and invited us all. I was planning on going. Anyone else?
21:43 < srevilak> I'll be there
21:43 < Kendra> What time is that happening?
21:43 < Bluestreak> Oh good!
21:43 < srevilak> 4pm monday.  Berkman center
21:44 < Bluestreak> http://map.harvard.edu/?ctrx=759001&ctry=2963500&level=9&layers=Campus%20Base%20and%20Buildings,Map%20Text MAP
21:44 < Bluestreak> Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall, Milstein West Rooms, 2nd Floor
21:45 < black_van> http://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/1ls4ss/am_i_the_only_one_who_remembers_that_we_were/
21:45 < Bluestreak> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/wiki/Berkman_Center_Fall_2013_Open_House#Select_Opportunities_to_Get_Involved_at_Berkman
21:45 < Bluestreak> You're on fire Sevan!
21:46 < Bluestreak> OK you are welcome and encouraged to go on the 9th to Kit's thingy.
21:46 < Bluestreak> Moving on
21:47 < Bluestreak> ...I know NOTHING about constitution day... anybody?
21:47 < Kendra> I plan to atend the Berkman thing, I'll let some journalists know it's happening.
21:47 < Bluestreak> It is a regular thing
21:47 < Bluestreak> every month
21:47 < Bluestreak> FYI
21:47 < Bluestreak> iirc
21:48 < Bluestreak> You can ask KIt
21:48 < Bluestreak> let me know if you need his email
21:48 < Bluestreak> anyone going to participate in the constitution day speak out?
21:49 < Kendra> Is it posted anywhere?  where is it happening?
21:50 < Bluestreak> srevilak put it n the agenda... What is it Steve?
21:50 < Bluestreak> I have no clue
21:50 < Bluestreak> We can skip it and come back
21:50 < srevilak> I carried forward events from last IRC agenda
21:50 < Bluestreak> Let's worry about it later
21:50 < srevilak> agreed
21:50 < Bluestreak> Software freedom day is a big event for us
21:51 < Bluestreak> I said Jason and I would table, but I haven't looked into it, sorry.
21:51 < Bluestreak> I am just starting to feel like myself again... August was rough.
21:51 < Igel> gnu 30th (relevant.. but im not a LICENSE or COPYING expert..heh.)
21:51 < srevilak> I'll have to leave shortly after my talk.  Friends getting married that afternoon
21:52 < Igel> 30th or 20th?...u kno
21:52 < Bluestreak> Mazel Tov
21:52 < Bluestreak> Um wa are talking about the 21st
21:52 < srevilak> GNU 30th is a different event
21:53 < Bluestreak> Igel http://softwarefreedomday.org/
21:53 < Igel> aye
21:54 < Bluestreak> and Igel, same event https://www.facebook.com/events/585547301483317/
21:54 < Igel> i think my buddy from twitter mentioned it
21:54 < Igel> omg hey you mailed me right
21:54 < Igel> im not good with names/ircnicks -- 
21:54 < Bluestreak> I am Lucia...
21:54 < Igel> i dont have the google+ or facebook accounts
21:55 < Igel> ok so != kendra
21:55 < Bluestreak> Here is the agenda for it Igel http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Boston_Software_Freedom_Day
21:55 < Igel> hrm :/
21:55 < Igel> nice 
21:55 < Bluestreak> srevilak can you talk alittle about your talk?
21:56 < srevilak> title is Protect Your Privacy in the Digital Age
21:56 < srevilak> So I'll be talking about protecting one's privacy :)
21:57 < srevilak> Likely involving links between corp and govt surveillance
21:57 < srevilak> how corps use the web to snoop on what you're doing
21:58 < srevilak> privacy enhancing technologies.
21:58 < srevilak> and risk mgmt
21:58 < Bluestreak> Will you be promoting our cryptoparties?
21:58 < Igel> yaaaar
21:58 < srevilak> Bluestreak: I'll try to work that in
21:58 < Bluestreak> ;-)
21:58 < black_van> k folks
21:58 < Igel> yeah
21:58 < black_van> got to go
21:59 < black_van> peace
21:59 < Bluestreak> night
21:59 < srevilak> Igel and I are working on logistics for Sep 28th Cryptoparty
21:59 < Bluestreak> Who will be able to make it out to SFD to support the quartermaster?
21:59 < Igel> hehee..
22:00 < Igel> there is a driving force to keep people away from privacy... i think srevilak and I are planning for a great 28th 
22:00 < Igel> planon on*
22:00 < Bluestreak> Come promote it at SFD the previous Sat
22:01 < Igel> srevilak: good idea eh?
22:01 < Bluestreak> Yes, and I need to talk to Kate about updating the flyers
22:01 < srevilak> Igel: indeed, I do hope so
22:01 < Bluestreak> You would like flyers to put up, right Igel ?
22:01 < Kendra> I will be at the SFD for a while.  It is interesting the intersections of journalisim, human rights and technology emerging.  I guess we should bring a few promotional materials to all of the events.  
22:02 < Bluestreak> Agreed
22:02 < srevilak> now 22:01.  Can we aim to wrap up by 22:30?
22:02 < Igel> Bluestreak: yes
22:02 < Bluestreak> Sure. Sorry I was late
22:02 < Igel> me too 
22:02 < Bluestreak> We have two libre planet software meetings coming up.
22:03 < Bluestreak> I know the Captain is speaking on the 6th... amirite?
22:03 < Bluestreak> Again, srevilak if you could clue us in, and post a lilnk to their agenda/wki... because idk know about this
22:04 < srevilak> Bluestreak: yes
22:04 < srevilak> Group is boston linux desktop users group
22:04 < srevilak> They do monthly meetings.  Will Rico organizes
22:04 < srevilak> Will try to add links
22:04 < Bluestreak> location?
22:05 < srevilak> http://www.meetup.com/desktop-linux-users-group/
22:05 < Bluestreak> Thank you
22:06 < Bluestreak> OK last thing
22:06 < Bluestreak> As part of our plan to move the party west we have an invitation to a ...
22:06 < Bluestreak> well more than a party
22:06 < Bluestreak> like a mini music festival
22:06 < Bluestreak>  but with plenty of quiet places to talk
22:07 < Bluestreak> hotbed of political discussion
22:07 < Igel> yeah blu srevilak coo
22:07 < Bluestreak> Scorpion bowl
22:07 < Bluestreak> Holyoke
22:07 < Bluestreak> Nov 9
22:07 < Bluestreak> its a  Sat
22:07 < Bluestreak>  we need to pack that with Pirates
22:07 < Bluestreak> We are welcome to hand out flyers
22:07 < Bluestreak> and cards
22:08 < srevilak> Bluestreak: have a link to event info?
22:08 < Bluestreak> OK no FB event page yet
22:08 < srevilak> will add to event list
22:08 < Bluestreak> But it will be at 903 Dwight St in Holyoke
22:09 < Bluestreak> TY
22:09 < Bluestreak> 903 Dwight St is Positronic Design
22:10 < Bluestreak> http://www.positronicdesign.com/
22:10  * Igel marks 21st...how to promote it at SFD? Bluestreak -- w/ the flyers?
22:10 < srevilak> scorpion bowl - it's a music festival?
22:11 < Bluestreak> It's a massive house party but
22:11 < Bluestreak> Dave has a night club in his basement
22:11 < Bluestreak> he usually has 3 bands
22:11 < Bluestreak> grilling and fire pit out side
22:11 < Igel> sounds like a stinger
22:11 < Bluestreak> he has one every six month
22:11 < Bluestreak> the fall one is called Scorpion Bow
22:11 < Bluestreak> BOWL
22:12 < Bluestreak> he is also a music promoter
22:12 < Bluestreak> he knows lots of artists etc 
22:12 < Igel> srevilak: bring the cow bell
22:12 < Igel> hehe
22:12 < srevilak> more cow bell
22:12 < Bluestreak> and he knows a lot of the Western Mass activist community
22:12 < Bluestreak> I want to hook his friends up with our friends
22:12 < Bluestreak> Move the party west
22:12 < Igel> i cant commit to a bender :/
22:12 < srevilak> Bluestreak: sounds like potentially good networking opportunity
22:13 < Igel> hell yes it does
22:13 < Bluestreak> You will really like Dave, I thinl
22:13 < Bluestreak> If ppl need a ride let the list know 
22:13 < Bluestreak> it's a good two hours out of Boston
22:13 < Bluestreak> but only 90 min from our house in REDACTED\
22:14  * Igel usually works 6 or 7 days a week :/
22:14 < Bluestreak> If we hit it en masse it will be worth the trip
22:14 < Bluestreak> starts at 5 pm goes to whenever
22:14 < Bluestreak> Ok last 2 thingd
22:14 < Igel> i cant commit but i marked the cal for the 9th
22:14 < Bluestreak> PLEASE
22:15 < Bluestreak> OK good Will
22:15 < Bluestreak> Keep it in mind its going to be fun
22:15 < Igel> (id rather keg stand than not kegstand)
22:15 < Igel> hehe 
22:15 < Bluestreak> LOL there will be kegs btw
22:15 < Bluestreak> OK PLEASE check the task list for things you can do.
22:15 < Igel> murrka
22:16 < Bluestreak> Try to do one thing a week...?
22:16 < Bluestreak> Steve you got the task list link?
22:16 < srevilak> http://piratenpad.de/SKwdoMqk26
22:16 < Bluestreak> And lastly... i emailed the only 2 ppl... TY Steve
22:16 < Bluestreak> looking for endorsements
22:16 < Bluestreak> with our agreed upon policy
22:16 < Bluestreak> I have not heard back
22:17 < Bluestreak> Any body have anything to add?
22:17 < Bluestreak> Anybody want to move to adjorn?
22:18 < srevilak> move to adjourn
22:18 < Kendra> No, I have to go though.  I move to adjourn.   Good night everyone
22:18 < Bluestreak> night
22:18 < Bluestreak> who can 2nd?
22:18  * srevilak seconds kendra's move
22:18 < Bluestreak> Igel 2nd?
22:19 < Joe> second
22:19 < Bluestreak> LOL
22:19 < Igel> yaaar
22:19 < Joe> third
22:19 < Bluestreak> all in favor?
22:19 < srevilak> aye
22:19 < Bluestreak> aye
22:19 < Joe> Aye
22:19 < Igel> aye
22:19 < Bluestreak> Good night folks
22:19 < Bluestreak> See you Sat
22:19 < srevilak> sounds like we're adjourned.  'night folks
22:19 < Joe> Goodnight
22:19 < Igel> * irpg activated *