September 5th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Freedom Rally Planning

Planning doc:


Planning for 2018 Elections

Other To Dos

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski Lowell


  • davidd
  • igel
  • hvxgr
  • Fatbag/Fatbag_
  • papegaai


The meeting focused on Freedom Rally Planning which is recorded in this pirate pad.

We need to make three flyers:

  • Cannabis rights (Malt)
  • Right of Repair (jokeefe)
  • Protect your phone. Project your privacy (jokeefe)

We will setup a schedule for discussing different topics and post it.

Will meet on Sunday 8-9pm on-line to go over phone security training:

We need to call volunteers and Boston-area supporters this weekend.



[8:59pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[8:59pm] Malt: nah
[8:59pm] Joe: Nay
[9:00pm] jokeefe: Agenda:,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:00pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:00pm] Joe: Other than the generator is in. 
[9:00pm] papegaai: Title: September 5th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
[9:00pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:00pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:00pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski Lowell
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Freedom Rally Planning
[9:02pm] jokeefe:
[9:03pm] Malt: What was the goal of the projector, again?
[9:03pm] Joe: Displaying Events/Information
[9:04pm] jokeefe: To be able to project a monitor on a screen
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be like?
[9:04pm] Malt: Right, but what are we projecting? Crypto information? Call-in scripts?
[9:04pm] Joe: We will need 3 full propane tanks. One per day for 9 hours est each
[9:05pm] Malt: how-to's?
[9:05pm] Joe: Crypto information would be good.
[9:05pm] jokeefe: as handouts, yes that would be vital
[9:06pm] Malt: I think having a spot for folks to charge their phones would be a useful time to approach them
[9:06pm] Malt: have a number they can call and a sample script about opposing the changes to the cannabis laws
[9:06pm] Malt: and DACA related, because, oh my g----d what a nightmare
[9:07pm] Joe: The generator is 4k watts, so it should be able to power everything.
[9:07pm] Malt: can we come by a handful of chargers? like 5?
[9:07pm] Malt: i don't think we'd be able to accomodate a larger crowd
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Would need a power strip
[9:08pm] Malt: I've got a spare
[9:08pm] Joe: I can bring a power strip
[9:09pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:10pm] jokeefe: What about a network?
[9:10pm] Joe: I think Matt said we could use his hotspot.
[9:10pm] Malt: So unless we want to have chairs and make it more of a lounge-type environment, I think we can probably assume people will want to stand by our table for 5-10 minutes?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Thanks, Malt.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Usually we put the table in the front and chairs in the back, but I think for this setup, we should put the table in the back or side and the chairs in front
[9:12pm] Malt: yeah, people are going to be handling flyers left and right
[9:13pm] Malt: i think making an oasis will be the kind of different that gets us attention
[9:13pm] Joe: We should hand out candies and waters.
[9:13pm] Joe: Halloween candies if possible
[9:14pm] Malt: we'll get a few folk who want to hang out and leech power but not call or listen to our message
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Yes, but they have to talk with us if they are there for a bit
[9:14pm] Joe: Yeah, but it happens
[9:14pm] jokeefe: We need a sign saying we are offering free charging
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Know where to get pirate themed candy?
[9:15pm] Joe: The internets?
[9:15pm] Malt: @jokeefe i think Arcade Snacks in auburn does bulk prices for candy coins
[9:16pm] Joe: We will need extra coolers too keep them from possibly melting.
[9:16pm] Malt: overall i think we should focus on a message of "do this" or "come here" rather than "join us" because doing these tasks (calling or texting) kind of assumes them into the group
[9:17pm] Malt: it's the foot in the door policy, people will do big tasks if they agree to do smaller tasks first. calling or texting is less of a shift than re-evaluating our own political labels, emotionally speaking
[9:17pm] Joe: Also, I would like to focus on matters that effect everyone that we are fighting on their behalf and why they should support us.
[9:17pm] Malt: yeah, this is something immediate and personal to the entire audience
[9:18pm] jokeefe: wise advice
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Malt, do they do custom coins?
[9:18pm] Malt: if they do, it'd be kind of short notice for the rally
[9:18pm] Malt: i can't say for sure or not
[9:18pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:20pm] jokeefe: So what signs to have up to entice people in? Free phone rechage? Be a security ninja?
[9:20pm] Joe: My vote is on security ninja
[9:21pm] Joe: People will see the chargers and know what to do
[9:21pm] Malt: I really think we should focus on the behind-the-scenes changes going on to the cannibus law
[9:21pm] Joe: Do we still need a projector screen?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Maybe, it can get pretty crowded on the path. Do we know where the table will be?
[9:21pm] Joe: I don't, sorry
[9:22pm] jokeefe: I think we need a projector/screen if we have many people to explain things to
[9:22pm] Malt: let's pick specific times during the weekend for specific activities
[9:22pm] jokeefe: If they can just look at a laptop, then we don’t
[9:22pm] Malt: like, security briefings every 2nd hour
[9:22pm] Joe: Even if we don't, having our message big behind us will help.
[9:23pm] Malt: or mass political call-ins on the even hours
[9:23pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:23pm] jokeefe: call ins would only work for friday?
[9:23pm] Malt: and distribute candy to participants, if there's candy
[9:23pm] Malt: there's a benefit to filling up voicemail boxes on the weekend
[9:24pm] Malt: we should pick 2-3 main areas and rotate between those
[9:24pm] Malt: like, phone security, cannibus law, and right to repair
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Sure, a schedule works, though if people want to know then, it is best to tell them.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Those are good points
[9:24pm] jokeefe: I like them
[9:25pm] Malt: i guess not like a formal schedule, but it'll get confusing to have to rapidly switch topics
[9:25pm] jokeefe: I can work on/get others to work on phone security and right of repair
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:25pm] Malt: being able to say "oh, we'll switch to phone security at 3" is helpful to the audience
[9:25pm] Joe: I like the schedule idea
[9:25pm] jokeefe: If someone else can work on cannabis law, that would be great
[9:25pm] Joe: Good to have a plan but not rely on it.
[9:26pm] Malt: I found some MASScann flyers we could borrow
[9:26pm] Joe: I should have some free time by Thursday, I was already planning on working on S1241
[9:26pm] jokeefe: good. would you scan them in?
[9:26pm] Malt:
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Having a schedule and being flexible works
[9:26pm] Joe: I can do a work up on the laws or at least start to.
[9:26pm] Malt: hmm, might be a bit dated
[9:27pm] jokeefe: kewl
[9:27pm] jokeefe: thanks, Joe
[9:27pm] Malt: for cannibus law I think what we'd need is a brief overview of the changes since the law was voted on, and a sample call script
[9:27pm] Malt: i think i can put that together?
[9:28pm] Joe: I can do the law changes if you want to do the call script and targets on who to call Malt
[9:28pm] Malt: sure!
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Feel free to put the text at
[9:29pm] Joe: k
[9:29pm] Malt: yyyes! good idea
[9:31pm] jokeefe: So do we have an idea of what the weather will be like / farmer’s almanac?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Wouldn’t want electronics to get wet
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Also, how big is the tent, Malt?
[9:31pm] Joe: True
[9:32pm] Joe: Just in case, I can bring tarps to protect the electronics as well.
[9:33pm] Malt: should be able to accommodate a few tables and a small group, I can set it up and take pictures soon, for a better idea
[9:33pm] Joe: I still have your table btw.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: oh great. thanks
[9:33pm] jokeefe: did steve take the banner or did you?
[9:34pm] Joe: Steve did
[9:34pm] jokeefe: ok, great
[9:35pm] jokeefe: I think we should have a review session for phone privacy before
[9:35pm] jokeefe: or on the day?
[9:36pm] Joe: Can we do it a week before?
[9:36pm] Malt: isn't there an upcoming cryptoparty?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: not scheduled
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Does Sunday work?
[9:37pm] Joe: For me it does
[9:38pm] Joe: Malt?
[9:41pm] Malt: nnnot sure
[9:41pm] Malt: would this be an in-person thing?
[9:41pm] jokeefe: does have to be
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Could do google hangout or something similar
[9:41pm] Malt: let me check with my wife
[9:41pm] Joe: We could do this over discord
[9:42pm] Joe: It's already set up
[9:43pm] Malt: nice!
[9:43pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:44pm] jokeefe: would you resend the link?
[9:45pm] Joe:
[9:45pm] papegaai: Title: Discord (at
[9:46pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:48pm] Joe: No problem
[9:50pm] jokeefe: What time?
[9:50pm] Joe: Anytime works for me. I should be free that day.
[9:50pm] Malt: 9 works
[9:51pm] Malt: 8 if we wanted to be earlier
[9:51pm] Joe: Same time as everything else makes sense
[9:51pm] Joe: Do you think we will have a lot of material to cover?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: 8-9pm?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Does discord allow you to record screen shares?
[9:52pm] Joe: I can stream it to a Youtube channel.
[9:53pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:53pm] Joe: Maybe we can connect before the meeting so I can get it all set up.
[9:53pm] jokeefe: sounds good. I am around most of the weekend
[9:54pm] Malt: yeah looks like I will be as well.
[9:54pm] Malt: There's a carnivorous plant show in worcester that weekend!
[9:55pm] Joe: Maybe I can stop by this weekend at some point, return a table and go over the setup with you.
[9:55pm] Joe: As well as get some Twitter access <3
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:55pm] Joe: That sounds fun Malt!
[9:56pm] jokeefe: both of your accounts have access to the twitter account via
[9:56pm] Joe: Yeah, I'm not familiar with it.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: just login with your twitter id
[9:56pm] Malt: i keep forgetting about that and the site
[9:57pm] jokeefe: also need to square away the fb page and g+ page
[9:57pm] Malt: i should stop posting political screeds on my personal facebook and START posting them on the WEBSITE
[9:57pm] jokeefe: as long as they are pirate related
[9:58pm] Joe: ^
[9:58pm] Malt: of course it's pirate related
[9:58pm] jokeefe: “-)
[9:58pm] jokeefe:
[9:58pm] Malt: everything is a privacy issue
[9:58pm] Joe: >8-(
[9:58pm] Malt: or internet!
[9:59pm] Malt: it's all anti-establishment, which is the key detail
[10:00pm] jokeefe: anti-monopoly too
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Any how, we are at time
[10:00pm] Malt: mmhm
[10:01pm] Malt: So, for tasks, I'm to get the list of cannibus control board names and numbers to call, and write a brief schpeil on what to say when we call
[10:01pm] Malt: and check the size of the tent
[10:01pm] Joe: Si
[10:01pm] Joe: Si
[10:01pm] jokeefe: And anything else that might be in
[10:02pm] jokeefe: We need to make calls this weekend
[10:02pm] jokeefe: if you haven’t logged into crew, please do
[10:03pm] jokeefe: Joe, we can go over it this weekend, if that works for you
[10:03pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn, 2nd?
[10:03pm] Malt: I keep losing the URL
[10:03pm] Joe: I second
[10:04pm] Joe: Sure, I don't get the tweetdeck
[10:04pm] jokeefe: I can show you this weekend
[10:04pm] jokeefe: which url, Malt?
[10:05pm] Malt: the crew url
[10:05pm] Malt: email and phone bank website
[10:05pm] jokeefe:
[10:05pm] papegaai: Title: User account | Mass Pirates Crew (at
[10:06pm] Malt: yes okay, thank you. what the hell password did i use
[10:06pm] Malt: that's always a fun game to play
[10:06pm] jokeefe: Email me if you need it reset
[10:06pm] jokeefe: all in favor of adjourning?
[10:07pm] Joe: Aye
[10:07pm] Malt: i just requested a reset
[10:07pm] Malt: aye
[10:07pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:07pm] jokeefe: thanks very much to you both
[10:07pm] jokeefe: have a wonderful night
[10:07pm] Malt: y'all as well!
[10:07pm] Joe: Thanks and good night!