September 6th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Freedom Rally tabling
  2. Finding a new treasurer
  3. CryptoParty in Boston & elsewhere
  4. Looking for college interns
  5. Revising materials
  6. Anything else folks want to bring up

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:


  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • mildbeard - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge


  • [bsod]
  • brandon
  • cmal
  • Mozart
  • ageis


1. Freedom Rally tabling

jokeefe will do setup, SplendidSpoon and mildbeard will be there. Need folks for the 1-2pm window.

2. Finding a new treasurer

Still looking.

3. CryptoParty in Boston & elsewhere

Progressing. Got some interest from OBIT. Looking for a place

4. Looking for college interns

jokeefe is writing up a notice. Should be for organizing folks and getting local chapters started.

5. Revising materials

Need to update our flier.

Meeting Minutes


[12:01] <@jokeefe> hi mildbeard [12:02] <@SplendidSpoon> Hai everybody! [12:02] <@jokeefe> hi SplendidSpoon [12:02] <@jokeefe> Branded looks like an interesting movie - [12:04] <@SplendidSpoon> cool [12:05] <@mildbeard> hi [12:07] <@jokeefe> so who can make Freedom Rally? [12:07] <@SplendidSpoon> ME! [12:08] <@SplendidSpoon> Wouldn't miss it for anything, I'll be there the whole day, except at 1 my friends feminist rap group is performing and they'd like me to dance with them [12:08] <@jokeefe> :-) [12:08] <@SplendidSpoon> I'll be in my nice pink pirate costume so it's kind of perfect if I can get that time off [12:08] <@jokeefe> I can setup, but then will be called off to do family things, might be able to do take down. [12:08] <@jokeefe> probably be there the first hour [12:08] <@jokeefe> too [12:08] <@SplendidSpoon> I'll be there for setup too bc I have lots of things [12:09] <@SplendidSpoon> Hmm just need to get someone to cover the 1-2 pm then [12:09] <@jokeefe> we'll get others. I think Sevan can help. [12:10] <@mildbeard> I will be there [12:11] <@jokeefe> great! [12:12] <@jokeefe> On Finding a new treasurer - our next campaign finance filing deadline is 10/29, so having someone on board before then would be great [12:15] <@SplendidSpoon> ah I feel like I'm going to end up having to do that [12:16] <@SplendidSpoon> Even though I'm not good at that sort of one else seems to want to [12:16] <@jokeefe> my be easier to get a 1st officer, sadly. Or I could do it and you could be Captain [12:17] <@jokeefe> s/my/may/g [12:17] <@SplendidSpoon> ah I don't wanna be captain [12:17] <@SplendidSpoon> What's the Pirate word for treasurer [12:17] <@jokeefe> quartermaster [12:17] <@SplendidSpoon> Hmmm that's a good word [12:18] <@SplendidSpoon> divvy up da booty [12:18] <@jokeefe> leave no quarter undeposited [12:18] <@SplendidSpoon> lol [12:18] <@SplendidSpoon> I just don't know if I want the responsibility arrggg [12:19] <@jokeefe> bookeeping & filing are electronic [12:19] <@SplendidSpoon> o rly? [12:19] <@SplendidSpoon> Not much paperwork? [12:19] <@mildbeard> guys I'm in a work emergency so sorry I'm not really participating. [12:20] <@SplendidSpoon> We have mad people in here and only 3 people taking anyway hehe [12:20] <@mildbeard> Hey Jamie did you hear more from Travis? [12:21] <@jokeefe> mildbeard - nope, havn't heard from him [12:21] <@mildbeard> My wife's not too happy about the couch idea. I will keep working on her. [12:21] <@jokeefe> SplendidSpoon, talk with Kit about the paperwork. Mostly data entry and getting the numbers right. [12:22] <@jokeefe> mildbeard, gotta talk with my wife too. [12:22] <@SplendidSpoon> Travis needs a place to crash? [12:22] <@jokeefe> think it over SplendidSpoon [12:22] <@jokeefe> yes [12:22] <@SplendidSpoon> Crap I need to move the f out so I can be useful like that [12:22] <@mildbeard> He said he's coming out here at end of month for several days. [12:23] <@SplendidSpoon> ah I can't move out by then [12:23] <@SplendidSpoon> Barrett Brown is coming to Boston in a few months and I may want to move in with him and his girl [12:24] <@SplendidSpoon> He might get a tv show doing interviews, or an online tv show [12:24] <@SplendidSpoon> and he wants to interview me about the Pirate Party when he does <3 [12:24] <@mildbeard> awesome [12:24] <@SplendidSpoon> lol I feel like I'm always trying to find ways to rep da pirates [12:25] <@jokeefe> nice [12:25] <@jokeefe> we should put up an interviews with you. [12:25] <@SplendidSpoon> like, any time I help other activists (like at Hope) I'm always making sure the Mass Pirates get some publicity too, you know? I feel like such a.....politician [12:25] <@SplendidSpoon> or something, PR firm more likely [12:25] <@jokeefe> lol [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> Gregg was thinking of starting a podcast which he'd also want to have Pirates on OF COURSE [12:26] <@jokeefe> they cannot support us if they don't know about us. [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> but these are all up in the air right now [12:26] <@jokeefe> we'll promote of course [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> I try to link Pirates to other better known online movements like the IDF now [12:26] <@jokeefe> IDF? [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> when I tell people, it seems to get good reactions [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> Intenet Defense Fund [12:26] <@jokeefe> ah [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> oh wait, IDL league [12:27] <@SplendidSpoon> whatever, you know what I'm talking about right? [12:27] <@jokeefe> oh right [12:27] <@jokeefe> they meeting locally or still just on-line [12:27] <@SplendidSpoon> still online I think [12:27] <@SplendidSpoon> also groups like Fight for the Future [12:27] <@SplendidSpoon> I say things like that, we agree with these groups but instead of just focusing on one bad bill at a time we incorporate these ideas into a cohesive political platform [12:28] <@SplendidSpoon> and people are like SWEET [12:28] <@SplendidSpoon> Every new coworker I find a way to tell them about us, most agree and would vote Pirate but they aren't really activists [12:28] <@SplendidSpoon> It's about reaching people like that for when the time comes so they remember us and what we stand for [12:29] <@jokeefe> if we can hook them up to volunteer or give $, that would be good. [12:30] <@jokeefe> So CryptoParty in Boston & elsewhere [12:30] <@jokeefe> things are moving along. some OBIT folks want to help. Looking for a place to host it. [12:32] <+feedbot> [Twitter] masspirates: TODAY - Support Bradley Manning, Sept. 6th, 3pm, Boston #OccupyBoston @occupy_boston - [12:32] <@jokeefe> Would be good to have someone talk about the non-tech side. not just how to encrypt things, but what non tech actions you can take to protect yourself. @ioerror talks about some of those at [12:32] <@jokeefe> though that link is down. [12:32] <@SplendidSpoon> Cool I will talk to D House today [12:34] <@jokeefe> thanks, he had some good insights. [12:34] <@jokeefe> though it would be good if we could record/publish them. [12:38] <@jokeefe> I think aiming for October would give us the time to get the word out [12:40] <@SplendidSpoon> That would be cool [12:41] <@SplendidSpoon> I'll tell him that it'd be cool if we could record/publish and maybe he'd make a presentation that was something he wouldn't mind being out there [12:41] <@jokeefe> thanks [12:42] <@jokeefe> Looking for college interns [12:43] <@jokeefe> I'll write up/crib something that we are looking for college interns. My thoughts would be to have them call folks and try to get local chapters organized (esp. in colleges). Perhaps we could have a Winter/Spring tour of the MA colleges/universities. [12:46] <@jokeefe> i'll send out a draft piece [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> We need a good in at MIT, they could start a Pirate Party club and probably do well [12:55] <@jokeefe> aye [12:56] <@jokeefe> UMass Boston could be good too [12:56] <@jokeefe> gotta go through the contact lists for .edu emails [12:57] <@jokeefe> the only other thing on the agenda is revising the flier. need fliers for Freedom Rally. [12:58] <@SplendidSpoon> Ah [12:58] <@SplendidSpoon> I'll be at the Manning rally btw [12:58] <@SplendidSpoon> today [12:58] <@SplendidSpoon> I'll try to take pics and tweet [12:59] <@jokeefe> cool! [12:59] <@jokeefe> do you have a fliers left over? [12:59] <@SplendidSpoon> I don't have very man [12:59] <@SplendidSpoon> many* [12:59] <@jokeefe> good, maybe we don't need a print run. [12:59] <@jokeefe> I pinged Jeanne [12:59] <@jokeefe> thogh [12:59] <@jokeefe> though [13:00] <@jokeefe> anything else folks want to bring up? [13:00] <@SplendidSpoon> We going to make a special one for Freedom Rally? [13:00] <@SplendidSpoon> Or it is not really necessary... [13:01] <@jokeefe> not sure. didn't need anything special last time. [13:01] <@SplendidSpoon> ok [13:02] <@jokeefe> that is all I have. [13:02] <@jokeefe> have fun at the Manning rally, SplendidSpoon ! [13:02] <@SplendidSpoon> I will :D