September 9th, 2020 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tabled Projects
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
Goals for Q3 2020:
- Organize meetups
- Revise platform
- Organize Fundraiser
- Organize candidate trainings
- Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
Work continues on streaming options.
Next one set for for 9/26, 11am-1pm
- Surveillance Mapping Event
- Come up with a how to video
- Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th
- Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th
- Come up with a how to video
- Party Conference
- Working on streaming options
- Posting survey. When should it be due by?
- 2021 Boston Pride Festival
- table booked
- setup signup sheet
- Need to purchase insurance
- Need volunteer sign up form
- Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
- Free the Moderna Vaccine
- Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
- Planning new event
- Yes on 1
- Post on our support for it
- Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
- Yes on 2
- Post reminder of our support for it
- jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
- Yard signs available.
- EARN IT Act
- PATRIOT Act renewal
- Legislature extended session
- Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
- Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill
Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion
Other To Do
- Application to PPI
- Post statement on Archive.org Suit
- Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
- Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
- Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round.
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
- 8/29, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
- 9/12, Boston Surveillance Mapping Outing
- 10/17, Worcester Surveillance Mapping Outing
- Fall, Party Conference
- jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
- srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
- Joe (Joseph Onoroski Lowell)
Video Newsletter. Next recording, Sunday 7pm.
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech). Looks like we're getting some viable options for streaming the conference.
Surveillance Mapping Event. Steve working on OSM web UI howto, and jokeefe is working on another. jokeefe will bring table and banner on Sat. Boston Common, 11:00-15:00.
Party Conference. jokeefe working on sign up forms. They'll be open for two weeks (until 9/25)
Campaigns. http://massrighttorepair.org/ seems to be the main advocate of Yes on 1 (right to repair). Will see if any pirates are currently working with the campaign.
Bills. Not much seems to be happening in the state legislature at the moment.
21:03 <@jokeefe> Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_9th,_2020_IRC_Meeting 21:03 <@jokeefe> ids 21:03 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA 21:03 <@jokeefe> Anything to add? 21:04 < srevilak> Don't think so 21:04 <@jokeefe> Projects 21:04 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast 21:05 < srevilak> 7pm sunday is fine for me 21:05 <@jokeefe> Does Sunday 7pm still work? 21:06 <@jokeefe> great. Hopefully, Joe can produce it, but if not the jitsi streaming will work 21:06 < srevilak> sounds good 21:06 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) 21:06 <@jokeefe> Looks like progress on the streaming front 21:07 < srevilak> Yes, I think we've got some options 21:07 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events 21:08 <@jokeefe> Surveillance Mapping Event 21:08 < srevilak> I have a howto in progress 21:08 < srevilak> :) 21:08 <@jokeefe> Wonderful 21:08 <@jokeefe> I’ll email a reminder and post again, hopefully with the supporting docs 21:09 <@jokeefe> Not sure about the videos, but will have it for the Worcester event 21:09 < srevilak> nice 21:10 <@jokeefe> I plan to bring a table and banner on Saturday. Along with print outs. 21:12 <@jokeefe> We have a few sign ups 21:12 < srevilak> I'll be able to come by for a few hours 21:12 <@jokeefe> great. any particular time? 21:12 < srevilak> Will be there for 11:00 21:12 <@jokeefe> thanks 21:13 < srevilak> May have to leave at 2:00, but will try to stay for the event 21:14 <@jokeefe> Party Conference 21:14 <@jokeefe> Haven’t had the chance to get the survey our, but will by tomorrow. 21:14 <@jokeefe> When should be the due date for submissions? 21:15 < srevilak> Two weeks? 21:16 <@jokeefe> sounds good. 9/25? 21:16 < srevilak> Sounds good 21:18 <@jokeefe> 9/25 it is 21:18 <@jokeefe> Campaigns 21:18 <@jokeefe> I put some updates at https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_9th,_2020_IRC_Meeting#Campaigns 21:19 < srevilak> I don't know who's behind the Yes on 1 campaign. Though they seem to have a presence on the north shore 21:21 <@jokeefe> http://massrighttorepair.org/ 21:21 <@jokeefe> I have seen yard signs in Concord 21:22 <@jokeefe> I will ask if any pirates is already involved in these efforts and wants to act a commumicatiom comtact 21:22 < srevilak> good choice 21:22 <@jokeefe> Bills 21:23 <@jokeefe> Not seeing progress on bills in the ma legislature. 21:24 <@jokeefe> Talk of bills for next session, after the elections 21:24 <@jokeefe> Submissions must be in by mid January 21:24 < srevilak> I hope that doesn't mean a whole lot of limbo 21:25 <@jokeefe> COVID Limbo seems to be the case 21:25 <@jokeefe> It is a convenient excuse 21:27 <@jokeefe> ahoy Joe 21:27 < srevilak> Hi Joe 21:27 <@jokeefe> discussing bills 21:28 < Joe> ahoy, sry for late 21:28 < Joe> currently mobile 21:28 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski Lowell 21:29 <@jokeefe> R4MA will likely propose similar bills to this session: police militarization, BRIC reform, asset forfeiture 21:29 <@jokeefe> thoughts on what we should propose? 21:30 < srevilak> BRIC reform and asset forfeiture are worthwhile 21:31 < Joe> asset forfeiture is the heaviest part of what they do though it will be the hardest to change. 21:32 <@jokeefe> lots of kids are getting school chromebooks. would be good to limit school surveillance 21:32 < Joe> police militarization is what happened to Germany during ww2 21:33 < Joe> strongly opposed 21:33 <@jokeefe> https://www.madmagazine.com/blog/2014/08/21/if-norman-rockwell-depicted-todays-america-the-militarization-of-officer-joe 21:34 <@jokeefe> that seems to be a perenial 21:35 <@jokeefe> that could be a discussion for the conference 21:38 <@jokeefe> Any update on computer donations? 21:38 < Joe> there is quite a bit to discuss, do you think we will get to it all? 21:39 <@jokeefe> If we can start the discussion at the conference and people are willing to continue it after, it should be ok 21:40 <@jokeefe> Conference should start the discussion. 21:40 < Joe> I still have 4 computers left but I have not had a chance to work on them yet 21:40 <@jokeefe> any idea what they need? 21:41 < Joe> I know of the one family I helped but I can ask where the others went 21:42 < Joe> user friendly systems 21:43 < Joe> i know the tablets we a big hit but I am sure they are happy to get anything 21:43 <@jokeefe> Good we helped 21:44 <@jokeefe> Well, you and Steve. Thanks 21:45 < Joe> They are supposed to give us a certificate for the donation. 21:46 < Joe> Though the person running thing is disabled so it can be a bit of a wait 21:46 <@jokeefe> No rush 21:46 < Joe> She does a lot too boot. 21:47 < Joe> Youtube is on for the normal time btw 21:47 <@jokeefe> We set the date for the conference date survey for 9/25 / 2 weeks from when we announce it. 21:47 <@jokeefe> good. thanks 21:48 <@jokeefe> Joe, will you join us Saturday in Boston? 21:48 < Joe> I am gone from 9/26 - 10/3 21:48 < Joe> I will be unable due to child care. 21:49 <@jokeefe> I mean this Saturday 21:49 <@jokeefe> Good to know. We will plan accordingly. 21:49 < Joe> but I can drop off an extra camera for use 21:50 < Joe> w/ stand 21:50 <@jokeefe> thanks 21:51 <@jokeefe> I don’t have anything else 21:52 < srevilak> Motion to adjourn, then? 21:52 < Joe> 2nd 21:52 <@jokeefe> 2nd 21:52 < srevilak> will post transcript 21:52 <@jokeefe> any opposed?