August 12th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Question 1

From Ballotpedia:

"Question 1 (2020) would require manufacturers that sell motor vehicles equipped with telematics systems to install a standardized open data platform beginning with model year 2022. Vehicle owners could then access telematics system data through a mobile device application and then give consent for independent repair facilities to access that data and send commands to the system for repair, maintenance, and diagnostic testing. Currently, the 2013 "right to repair law" exempts telematics systems from wireless accessibility by vehicle owners and independent repair facilities."

Suggest support.

There are only two ballot questions in 2020 and we already support the Question 2: RCV

S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act

bill text - Suggest oppose

FCC comment period for the “Censor the Internet” Executive Order

The FCC recently opened a comment period on Trump's “Censor the Internet” Executive Order, to gut Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and allow FCC chairman Ajit Pai to police online free speech. Comments can be posted at Docket RM-11862.

Draft and post statement and post for others to use in their filings?


Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings




  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Set for 8/29, 11am-1pm

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Surveillance Mapping Event
    • Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th
    • Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th
  • Party Conference - Fall
  • 2021 Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 8/13, noon-1pm, [Link to the live stream is EARN IT Act Call-a-thon, on-line]
  • 8/29, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
  • 9/12, Boston Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • 10/17, Worcester Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • Fall, Party Conference


  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlignton)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)


  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey


Unanimous support in favor of open access to vehicle telematics systems.

Unanimous opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.

Retaining section 230 protections. Support, 2-0-1 (Job abstains)

EARN IT act. Petition is up. jokeefe and Malt organizing a call-a-thon tomorrow.

Next pirate news recording. Sunday 7pm.

Pirate tech meeting. Next one schedule for Aug 29th

Survey form for next piratecon.

Computer donations. Wish foundation has suspended taking donations. Joe donated last group of hardware to a church group.


21:07 <@jokeefe> Agenda:,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:07 <@jokeefe> ids
21:07 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:07 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlignton
21:08 < Joe> Nothing for me
21:09 < srevilak> nothing to add
21:09 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:09 <@jokeefe> Question 1: Right to Repair
21:09 < srevilak> Motion support
21:09 < Joe> 3rd
21:10 <@jokeefe> All in favor?
21:10 < srevilak> aye
21:10 <@jokeefe> aye
21:10 < Joe> aye
21:10 <@jokeefe> Any opposed?
21:11 <@jokeefe> Motion to endorse passes
21:11 <@jokeefe> S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act
21:11 <@jokeefe> Seems like an oxymoron
21:12 < srevilak> Oppose, beyond ("if you can crack it, you can have it")
21:14 < Joe> I am also opposed. This goes against what we pirates stand
       for. Privacy and decency for all.
21:14 <@jokeefe> If you add a secret backdoor for gov. it won’t
       remain one for long, and even if it does, the NSA will use it for mass
21:15 <@jokeefe> I oppose as well. Any who don’t wish to oppose it?
21:15 < Joe> listening to the podcast right now. <3
21:15 < srevilak> motion to oppose
21:16 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:16 <@jokeefe> all in favor of opposing?
21:17 < srevilak> aye
21:17 < Joe> aye
21:17 <@jokeefe> aye
21:17 < srevilak> That is a unanimous vote and I so declare it
21:17 <@jokeefe> motion passes
21:17 <@jokeefe> FCC comment period for the “Censor the Internet”
       Executive Order
21:17 < srevilak> Motion to oppose
21:18 < Joe> link?
21:18 <@jokeefe>,DESC
21:18 <@jokeefe> that is the docket, but there isn’t any text.
21:18 <@jokeefe> 177 comments though
21:19 <@jokeefe> Fight for the future is urging people to comment.
21:20 <@jokeefe>
21:21 <@jokeefe> “The FCC asked the public Monday to weigh in on
       the request to review the liability shield, known as Section 230 of the
       Communications Decency Act. The request came from the Commerce Department,
       as directed by Trump under the executive order."
21:22 <@jokeefe> “Asking for input first means it will be at least 45
       days of gathering comments before the agency can even start the rulemaking
       process. Then, it will have to draft a proposal and take months to gather
       more public input before it can finalize and enact rules.”
21:23 <@jokeefe> 2nd srevilak’s motion to oppose
21:23 <@jokeefe> any more need of discussion?
21:24 < Joe> I still need to know more before I voice either way. I will
       trust both of your judgement on this matter.
21:24 < Joe> Abstain
21:24 < srevilak> So 2--0--1
21:25 <@jokeefe> Motion passes
21:25 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:25 <@jokeefe> Bills
21:26 <@jokeefe> EARN IT Act petition is up and Malt and I are scheduled
       for the call-a-thon tomorrow at noon.
21:27 <@jokeefe> Don’t have any other bill updates
21:27 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast - Sunday 7pm still good?
21:28 < Joe> Looks like it. I'll let you know if that changes.
21:28 < Joe> I have more help on the weekends at this point.
21:29 <@jokeefe> Glad to hear it.
21:29 < srevilak> will be there Sunday 7pm
21:29 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:30 <@jokeefe> Tech meeting set for 8/29. Setup registration
       link. emailed it out to the list. Post will be up in a few days. Will
       email anc list as well.
21:31 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:31 <@jokeefe> Finished a draft party conference survey.
21:32 <@jokeefe> Emailed it for review. Please look it over,
       tonight preferably as I want to get it out with the next email out
21:34 <@jokeefe> It is at
21:34 <@jokeefe> Does it look ok?
21:34 < srevilak> looks great
21:35 < Joe> ^
21:35 <@jokeefe> ok will put it out
21:36 <@jokeefe> will setup registration pages for the Surveillance
       Mapping Events
21:37 < srevilak> One suggestion: "How would you prefer to get to the
21:37 < srevilak> Perhaps add "Videoconference" (to accomodate not in
       person option)
21:37 <@jokeefe> ok
21:37 <@jokeefe> will do
21:38 <@jokeefe> Any update on computer donations?
21:39 < Joe> Yes, They stopped accepting donations at this time.
       Rerouting the tablets through a local church's nuns to help the homeless.
21:39 < Joe> Still working out the details of the drop though,
21:39 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:39 < srevilak> Joe: nice
21:40 <@jokeefe> That is all I have
21:40 < srevilak> Nothing to add here
21:40 < Joe> Same, motion to adjourn
21:40 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:40 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:40 < srevilak> aye
21:41 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:41 < Joe> aye
21:41 <@jokeefe> aye
21:41 <@jokeefe> thanks, srevilak.
21:41 <@jokeefe> good night all