August 23rd, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 10:35, 1 February 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Projects

Aaron James Campaign

  • 8/27, ?pm, Going door-to-door
  • 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville

Discussion of Ballot Measures

Surveillance camera map

There may be a focused effort on mapping the cameras in Somerville and Cambridge.

Freedom Rally

Freedom Rally will be 9/17-18. We will have a table. Volunteer signup form. Need to and email/call volunteers.

PirateCon Recording Status

  • Audio
  • Video

November Run for local office conference

At the Pirate Picnic we tentatively scheduled November 12th to be a Run for local office conference. The objective is to teach people to run for local office. There will be sessions on:

  • running for representative town meeting
  • running for town-wide and city elections
  • what you can accomplish in local office.

We will reach out to other groups and see if they are interested in participating.

It will run from noon-5pm. srevilak is checking on the availability of the Tent City Community Room.

Democracy center's room rates are here: http://democracycenter.org/book-a-room

Upcoming Events

  1. 8/27, 1-5pm, Boston Public Library Cryptoparty, Grove Hall Branch, 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester.
  2. 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville
  3. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  4. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally Table. Volunteer signup
  5. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  6. Democracy/IT meeting
  7. WMass Cryptoparty
  8. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer
  9. 11/12, noon-5pm, Run for local office conference

Participants

  • Bluestreak
  • igel
  • JTIII
  • srevilak
  • noe
  • moses

Observers

  • davidd
  • Velveeta_chef
  • pagegaai

Summary

Aaron James Campaign Update. Aaron was on the Young Jurks this past Saturday. More canvassing this Saturday. Another campaign event on 8/30 @ Somerville Armory (6p-9:30p)

Cryptoparty. Jamie and Ben are doing a cryptoparty at the BPL in Dorchester on Saturday.

Ballot Measures. https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_2016_ballot_measures. Plan to review the ballot questions during the week. We'll try to form a party position next week. A place to draft positions: http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx

CCTV mapping. FFTF might be interested in collaborating on what we've done with https://cctv.masspirates.org. Probably best for Jamie and JTIII to discuss collaboration parameters.

Pirate podcasts. Steve had to miss a week; FOIA for fun and Liberation will go up next weekend. Noe has video, but hasn't had the chance to do any editing.

Running for local office. Democracy center reserved for Nov 12, 12:30p - 5:00pm. Perhaps another one in springfield, and/or Amherst

Minutes

 
21:08 < noe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_23rd,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < papegaai> Title: August 23rd, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:08 < srevilak> thx
21:08 < igel> ello'
21:09 < noe> thx!
21:09 < noe> Aaron James Campaign update:  he was on the Young Jurks
        this past Saturday
21:09 < Bluestreak> Great picture!
21:09 < Bluestreak> Very sexy!
21:10 < noe> :D  Thanks Lucia
21:10 < srevilak> It was a good program.  Aaron was relaxed and very fluid
21:11 < noe> Aaron is making definite progress.  :D
21:12 < noe> The intent is that this Saturday he'd like to take a group
        out canvassing.
21:13 < noe> It would be awesome if we could get a better turnout for
        his campaign event next week Tuesday (8/30 6-9:30pm Somerville Armory)
21:13 < noe> If people know of outlets that may be interested in
        interviewing Aaron, feel free to mention them.
21:14 < igel> yeah def
21:14 < Bluestreak> There is a Crypto party Sat?
21:14 < noe> I think we have sent the regular round of emails, but
        phone calls may be easiest.  It's been difficult for the campaign to
        make phone calls during the work day so if there is anyone interested,
        please let me know.
21:14 < Bluestreak> Jason and I will be at the Tues night thing
21:15 < Bluestreak> I will… you have numbers?
21:15 < noe> We have more people listed as going on FB than before
21:15 < noe> So, I feel like there is an intent to go  . . .
21:16 < noe> I will be there, as will the rest of the committee
21:16 < Bluestreak> About Sat canvassing tho
21:16 < Bluestreak> There is a conflict?
21:16 < Bluestreak> The CP in Dorchester?
21:16 < noe> Yes, I think you're right.
21:16 < Bluestreak> It ends at 5
21:17 < Bluestreak> Ahoy!
21:17 < moses> ahoy
21:17 < moses> hi all
21:17 < igel> hi
21:17 < noe> The Crypto Party in Dorchester at the Public Library is
1-5pm, and canvassing is usually a 2pmish start.
21:17 < srevilak> hi moses
21:17 < noe> ahoy moses!
21:18 < srevilak> I believe that Jamie and Aaron are covering the
        cryptoparty
21:18 < srevilak> I believe that Jamie and Ben are covering the
        cryptoparty
21:18 < srevilak> (sorry, Ben, not Aaron)
21:19 < noe> Yes, I think you're right Steve.
21:19 < srevilak> Podcast of Saturday's Young Jurks:
        http://wemfradio.com/2016/08/20/young-jurks-8-20-16/
21:19 < papegaai> Title: WEMF Radio Radio Now! » Young Jurks presented
        by Canna Care Docs: 8.20.16 (at wemfradio.com)
21:19 < noe> good link!
21:20 < noe> We have a general discussion of ballot measures on the
        Agenda.
21:21 < noe> Here is the ballotpedia URL for all four questions:
        https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_2016_ballot_measures
21:21 < papegaai> Title: Massachusetts 2016 ballot measures - Ballotpedia
        (at ballotpedia.org)
21:22 < noe> Allowing Question 1 to pass will allow the Gaming Commission
        to issue one additional slots license.
21:23 < igel> nice i really liked that last mid-term elections i think
        it was.. you put it together right? really helped me/others out
21:23 < igel> err, not this site, but another one. may be it was by email?
21:24 < noe> Probably email!  I think there is a lot of interesting
        related content about these questions, mostly about who funded petition
        gathering and such, but yes.
21:25 < noe> Most of the related information on ballotpedia and other
        websites doesn't have that immediately available.
21:25 < Bluestreak> I move that we review the questions this week
21:25 < Bluestreak> then vote on the party postition next week
21:26 < noe> That sounds reasonable.  Does anyone else second?
21:26 < igel> for sure
21:26 < srevilak> second
21:26 < noe> So moved!
21:26 < Bluestreak> I also move that we (I) write a supporting blog post
        for our position
21:27 < noe> That is a great movement.  I second it heartily.
21:27 < Bluestreak> We can use a Pirate pad for everyone to put in their
        two cents
21:27 < srevilak> sounds fine to me
21:27 < igel> def need to review
21:27 < Bluestreak> I sent only two things to the list, the ballotopedia
        link
21:28 < Bluestreak> and the OCPF report
21:28 < Bluestreak> all the MSM articles on the questions have BIAS
21:28 < igel> shoot, i need to update my email to the list
21:28 < Bluestreak> Ew bias!
21:28 < moses> muhahaha
21:29 < noe> sooo much bias.
21:30 < Bluestreak> I advise you to consult many sources
21:30 < Bluestreak> I posted the John Oliver POV to the MPP FB page.
21:30 < noe> PiratePad for 2016 Ballot Questions:
        http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx
21:30 < papegaai> Title: PiratePad: r7PEC7Winx (at piratepad.net)
21:30 < Bluestreak> He does NOT touch on any problems in MA charter
        schools
21:30 < Bluestreak> TY Noe
21:31 < moses> I was also gonna suggest that
21:33 < srevilak> On to CCTV map?
21:34 < noe> Yes please
21:35 < noe> People are using Open Street Map to update
        https://cctv.masspirates.org/
21:35 < papegaai> Title: The CCTV map (extracted from OpenStreetMap)
        (at cctv.masspirates.org)
21:35 < srevilak> Jamie has been the lead on this effort
21:35 < noe> There are nearly 1,000 mapped in the Metro Boston area alone.
21:35 < srevilak> as far as I know, he's just using OSM's phone app to
        add camera locations (Infrastructure > Surveillance Camera)
21:36 < Bluestreak> We need him to teach us how to do what he does
21:36 < Bluestreak> It’s one thing to post about it...
21:36 < Bluestreak> It’s another to have a class.
21:36 < noe> That is a wonderful idea.
21:36 < Bluestreak> I will post that to the list
21:36 < srevilak> A dedicated phone app would be great (to automate
        the proess)
21:36 < Bluestreak> So he can mull it over.
21:37 < Bluestreak> sheesh is such a thing available?
21:37 < noe> He has done live demos in person, but an educational event
        would be cool.
21:37 < JTIII> Steve, I emailed you and James about this idea earlier
        today. I was thinking about floating this idea to my org (FFTF) for
        us to either promote the site, or even better, build a companion phone
        app to view and add aditional camera locations. Nothing set in stone,
        but I am discussing the idea with a few people at FFTF. Any interest
        in collaboration?
21:37 < srevilak> JTIII: sorry for not responding (had a meeting at
        town hall)
21:38 < srevilak> but I think there's definitely room for collaboration
21:38 < Bluestreak> How long do you think it would take to create such
        an app?
21:38 < JTIII> no worries! :)
21:38 < noe> I think that's a great idea!
21:38 < srevilak> Jamie has mapped hundreds of cameras, so he's probably
        the best one to comment on workflow/how to make the process easy
21:39 < JTIII> then there is my much more far fetched idea of turning
        it into an alternate reality game like Pokemon Go! (but that's another
        conversation, for another day :P)
21:39 < srevilak> Heh, instead of catch the poekmon, you run from the
        camera :)
21:39 < JTIII> I am not sure how long it would take. I would need to
        discuss it with our dev more, but there is some interest.
21:39 < Bluestreak> This is the joke we were making at MIT
21:40 < noe> CCTV No!
21:40 < Bluestreak> While everyone was playing Pokemon Go Jamie was
        mapping cameras
21:40 < Bluestreak> lol
21:40 < JTIII> We would definitely need some help here and there. It
        sounds like Jamie might be able to fill in some gaps we were seeing in
        the development.
21:41 < igel> can we identify cameras via their MAC address?
21:42 < srevilak> igel: to get mac, you'd need to be on the same subnet,
        no?
21:42 < igel> we could automate the discovery if thats possible.. with
        wifi.. pretty much.
21:42 < noe> i think the map is strictly geography right now.
21:43 < Bluestreak> Perhaps the proposed app is a subject for the next
        IT meeting?
21:43 < srevilak> here's the map: https://cctv.masspirates.org/
21:43 < igel> i dont believe so , if the cameras are IP cameras, then
        we should be able to see it
21:43 < papegaai> Title: The CCTV map (extracted from OpenStreetMap)
        (at cctv.masspirates.org)
21:43 < Bluestreak> Which is going to be when?
21:44 < JTIII> I would be happy to attend, and I can bring try to get
        out CTO to come as well.
21:44 < igel> may be there is a list. i think this is very possible
21:44 < JTIII> our*
21:44 < srevilak> I think that Jamie and JTIII should get together,
        and discuss parameters for collaboratoin
21:44 < srevilak> Next IT meeting has not been scheduled
21:44 < Bluestreak> Can we do that now?
21:45 < srevilak> Bluestreak: two of the main IT meeting attendees aren't
        here this evening
21:45 < Bluestreak> Gotcha
21:45 < noe> They will be at the CP, so maybe someone can ask them at
        that time?
21:45 < srevilak> I think this is something we can discuss over email
21:45 < srevilak> no?
21:45 < noe> yes!
21:46 < noe> that will be faster.
21:46 < noe> should we move on to talk about Freedom Rally?
21:46 < srevilak> I've there's a big promotion behind
        cctv.masspirates.org, we may want to put it behind deflect, or similar
        anti-DDOS service
21:46 < srevilak> but that's topic for later discussion
21:47 < srevilak> Sorry, as noe said, Freedom Rally
21:47 < noe> Reminder that it will be two days again 9/17-9/18
21:48 < noe> We have a table reserved and would love to see people during
        the day.
21:48 < srevilak> I put together volunteer signup form:
        https://masspirates.org/crew/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=17
21:48 < papegaai> Title: Table with us at the Freedom Rally | Mass
        Pirates Crew (at masspirates.org)
21:48 < noe> If people want to meet Aaron James, he'll be talking and
        doing some outreach.
21:48 < noe> Additionally, he intends to drop by the table, too.
21:49 < Bluestreak> Jason and James are going to do set up on Friday night
21:49 < noe> Thanks for the volunteer form!
21:49 < Bluestreak> Jason should be there all day both days.
21:50 < JTIII> Just signed up to help out
21:50 < noe> Hooray!  Feel free to spread the link to others.  The more
        the merrier.
21:50 < srevilak> Thanks, JTIII
21:50 < JTIII> I can be available all day if need be
21:51 < Bluestreak> That would be awesome!
21:51 < JTIII> set up / break down, whatever is needed
21:51 < JTIII> I'll share it too
21:52 < noe> It should be a great event.
21:52 < noe> Moving to PirateCon recording status:  Audio from PirateCon
        has been posted regularly to the blog.
21:52 < noe> I still have video files, but haven't had time to edit
        or post.
21:53 < srevilak> I wasn't able to finish Maya's foia talk this weekend;
        it will go up next weekend
21:54 < srevilak> This summer has definitely been our best summer for
        views: https://archive.org/details/masspirates&tab=about
21:54 < papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Pirate Party : Free Audio :
        Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (at archive.org)
21:54 < Bluestreak> OK for setup and breakdown we will be in touch…
        can send me your email?
21:54 < noe> I think Maya's foia talk was brilliant, and I hope people
        will enjoy it.
21:55 < JTIII> You asking me <Bluestreak>>
21:55 < Bluestreak> yes pls
21:55 < Bluestreak> Email me you ph number
21:55 < Bluestreak> so J and J can text to coordinate
21:55 < Bluestreak> EMAIL REDACTED
21:56 < noe> We have one more item on the Agenda about a post elections
        conference geared towards getting people to run for office
21:56 < Bluestreak> Was that going to be a fund raiser?
21:56 < noe> Tentatively, its scheduled for 11/12.  We can make that a
        fundraiser, it may be a good idea.
21:56 < srevilak> Bluestreak: no; more skill share about running for
        local office
21:56 < Bluestreak> OK
21:57 < srevilak> We have democracy center reserved from 12:30 - 5pm on
        Nov 12th
21:57 < srevilak> Jamie was working on another event -- Springfield, IIRC
21:58 < srevilak> We had also discussed Amherst at one point, I think
21:58 < moses> yesss
21:58 < Bluestreak> Can we push that off to next week?
21:58 < moses> I belive that was me
21:58 < moses> actually, relevent bit insofar as it involves me, if i may?
21:58 < Bluestreak> The Spfld event that is
21:58 < Bluestreak> ok
21:59 < noe> Bluestreak:  I think we're nearly at time, so we can push
        that to next week.
21:59 < Bluestreak> Just meant since James isn’t here
21:59 < Bluestreak> that too
21:59 < noe> That's all the Agenda business, does anyone have pressing
        things they want to mention?
21:59 < srevilak> moses: if you have an update, please share (or if no
        update, that's okay too)
21:59 < Bluestreak> Remember!
22:00 < Bluestreak> The vote on the questions positions will be next week!
22:00 < Bluestreak> Please make your decisions and be here to vote!
22:00 < moses> yes
22:00 < noe> Feel free to add to the discussions on the PiratePad:
        http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx
22:00 < papegaai> Title: PiratePad: r7PEC7Winx (at piratepad.net)
22:01 < moses> just that I got a new job and I'm moving to the other
        side of the sate
22:01 < moses> state
22:01 < srevilak> Oh wow, congrats (I hope)
22:01 < Bluestreak> Which side?
22:01 < Bluestreak> East side?
22:01 < noe> congrats on the new job!  i am sorry about moving, because
        moving is usually terrible.
22:02 < moses> Martha's Vinyard
22:03 < srevilak> wow, when you said other side of the state, you weren't
        kidding :)
22:03 < Bluestreak> lol
22:03 < noe> O_o
22:03 < Bluestreak> Also very hard to reach
22:03 < moses> yuuuuuup.
22:04 < JTIII> Should I just email Jamie in our thread about the app
        <srevilak>?
22:04 < srevilak> JTIII: sounds good
22:04 < noe> (we are beyond time so if people want to disperse that
        is cool)
22:04 < noe> srevilak:  could you post the minutes?
22:04 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:04 < srevilak> noe: yes
22:04 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:04 < Bluestreak> aye