December 5th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 22:54, 6 December 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

This meeting was scheduled for 12/5/2016, but due to technical difficulties with IRC, it was held a day later at 12/6/2018.



Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control

Pirate pad


12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest

  • Flyer status
  • Next flyering dates
  • Sign Making Party

Video Newsletter


  • Emailed volunteers Tuesday
  • All supporters scheduled for Thursday. Anything special to add?

Regional Meetings

H.R.6729 - Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act of 2018


  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Computer Donations

On hold until next week -

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

  • 12/8, 2-4pm, Vigil Sign Making Party, Capital One Café community room in Copley Square, 799 Boylston Street, Boston.
  • 12/9, 1-3pm, Tech Meeting, Somerville
  • 12/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/16, Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers, Boston Police Headquarters, Boston
  • 12/17, Intl Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers, Boston
  • 12/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/26?, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Dec, Boston-area Chapter Meeting


  • igel[m]
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
  • Pirate_Joe


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr




[9:05pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Agenda:,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:05pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe joined the chat room.
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:07pm] jokeefe: just starting
[9:07pm] DesmondRavenstone: Something related to vigil … recommend we call for moratorium on arrests related to commercial sex
[9:07pm] Malt left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:07pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:08pm] Malt: Yeah calling for a denmark style solution might do good for Boston
[9:08pm] jokeefe: We can discuss it in the vigil section
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control
[9:09pm] jokeefe: looks like we haven’t updated the pirate pad. shall we defer to next meeting?
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: I never got a second to breath this week. Can we discuss it now?
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pirate_Joe do you have specific input?
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: I wonder if we empower individual autonomy, are we not in fact promoting a lower amount of individual control?
[9:11pm] Malt: I'm a little behind on the subject also
[9:11pm] jokeefe:
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: IE less of a police/military state and more of an democracy?
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree with what is being said in the statement. I am just looking for ways to word it.
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: Also less attempts at "social engineering" through bad laws.
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: I think we should openly encourage more folks (via activist list and FB) to contribute ideas
[9:14pm] jokeefe: make edits on the pad?
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: For myself, would like time to think up how to connect with harm reduction
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree @jokeefe
[9:15pm] jokeefe: So defer a week to edit the doc?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: I motion to table this until next week and put our ideas on the piratepad tonight while the topic is fresh.
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: second
[9:15pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:15pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: aye
[9:16pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:17pm] jokeefe: all opposition?
[9:17pm] jokeefe: any opposition?
[9:17pm] jokeefe: motion passes
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:18pm] jokeefe: 12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: I believe a kitten probably motioned to Malt's leg in opposition 
[9:18pm] jokeefe: We have flyers
[9:18pm] jokeefe:
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: And I have sign-making materials for 12/8 party
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Will send the expenditure info
[9:18pm] Malt: Sorry
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: 799 Boylston Street, Boston, 2-4pm
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Looking forward to it. I will bring the flyers
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Next flyering dates?
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: @jokeefe you mentioned electric candles … did you get a count?
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Sorry, no. Will check by tomorrow
[9:20pm] Malt: Something came up that day
[9:20pm] Malt:
[9:20pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK. I will also have slips of paper with names of sex workers lost to violence … and tape to put on police HQ door
[9:21pm] Malt: Niiiice
[9:21pm] jokeefe: should we record it?
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Now … I also thought of a concrete proposal to "rally around" -- calling for a moratorium on sex work related arrests
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: If we can get good recording setup, yes.
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: May I make a few comments?
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Fire away
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: First, I totally agree we should record it.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: But instead of taping anything to the building, can we bring a projector and watch the tape at the rally?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Project on to the building? I like it. 
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: I do not want to give the opposition anything they can use against us at a later date, even if it's something they could claim as defacement of a public building
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Projecting on the building itself works, lol
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Though it has a lot of glass
[9:24pm] jokeefe: We need a power source for the projector
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: Thing is, we could only project for so long … perhaps another alternative
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: Maybe cards stuck into and under the door(s)
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: A few battery packs should work, I doubt we want to entire thing to be about the projection
[9:24pm] Malt: Chalk the sidewalk?
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: Not "defacement" but something that police would notice when they open up
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Chalk on the sidewalk would be good
[9:25pm] jokeefe: I think I have a lot of that
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: That would take a lot of time, and if its cold we might not get volunteers
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: Here's my idea for the cards
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: The point is, I don't want there to be a reason for them to use as an excuse. If we are sociable and peaceful, then there is nothing they can do about it.
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll make them up; during vigil names are read aloud and folks stick them in between or under doors
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: In the morning, when HQ is opened, the cards are there
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: They can ignore and throw out, or word gets to higher-ups in police
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: if not taped, no defacement
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: Perhaps also a statement including call for moratorium
[9:27pm] jokeefe: My guess is they never close, so we could have people put cards in a box and then walk into the building and hand them the box.
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Last idea I had was to start a or something like it and try to get as many signatures as possible.
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: I like the box idea!
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: Esp if they are indeed open
[9:28pm] DesmondRavenstone: That would "bring it home"
[9:28pm] DesmondRavenstone: That would "bring it home" to them but still civil and constructive
[9:28pm] jokeefe: I think paper cards makes for better video than a site
[9:28pm] DesmondRavenstone: to follow is good, esp if calling for moratorium, directed to Commissioner
[9:29pm] Malt: The more physical the better
[9:29pm] DesmondRavenstone: Agreed
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Desmondravenstone, can you create one tonight and forward the link to jokeefe?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Why not do both?
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: If agreed to call for moratorium on arrests … is there a second?
[9:30pm] Malt: Aye
[9:30pm] jokeefe: The existing one hasn’t spread like wildfire, though
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: We could put the existing one on there then
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: All in favor?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: separate issues directed at different people
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: yes, and I think something bold like moratorium would catch a good deal of attention
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: By the way, BP HQ is always open
[9:32pm] jokeefe: good
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: So we take a box with the cards to the front desk
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: brb
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: Addressed to commissioner, but allow them to open and inspect
[9:32pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I’ll setup a piratepad for the press release.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: We can email it out on Monday and edit over the weekend.
[9:33pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll work on a draft for moratorium call, both for vigil and petition
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:34pm] Malt:
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Anyone able to make calls to Boston-area folks this weekend?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: or txt?
[9:35pm] Malt: I can make some emails
[9:36pm] Malt: What time on the 8th?
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: Have been posting on social media; my friend Rikki is tweeting and posting as well
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: 2pm until 4, at Capital One Café conference room, 799 Boylston Street
[9:36pm] jokeefe: If Rikki @masspirates, I will make sure we retweet it
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Think we just need to focus on turn out
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: I believe she does tag you folks
[9:37pm] jokeefe: If so, I have retweeted her
[9:38pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Anything else to cover on this topic?
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Sry, no
[9:39pm] igel[m]: yello'!
[9:39pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:40pm] DesmondRavenstone: Looks like we're good for now
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Moving on then … Video Newsletter - We will record on this Sunday: morning or evening
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Has to be Evening for me
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Malt, does that work?
[9:41pm] Malt: Not sure how my evening will be
[9:41pm] Malt: But I'll try
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Thanks. Joe, what time do you suggest?
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: 630 pm to gather, 7 pm to start recording.....hard stop at 8.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: works for me. Expect we will stop by 7:30pm at the latest
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: if we run out of material
[9:44pm] jokeefe: 15 minutes is a good length 
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: brb
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Email Newsletter: Will send the general one out tomorrow morning. Today was busy
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Don’t have any updates on anything else
[9:46pm] Malt: I'm set also
[9:47pm] jokeefe: If there is nothing else, shall we adjourn?
[9:48pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:48pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:48pm] igel[m]: aye
[9:48pm] DesmondRavenstone: aye
[9:48pm] igel[m]: till the weekend'
[9:49pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye, in favor
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry about that
[9:49pm] Malt: Night folk
[9:49pm] jokeefe: have a great night
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: baby duties
[9:49pm] jokeefe: they have priority
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: I was hoping for 3 x 10 min vids
[9:49pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: but could be less
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: ty sir
[9:49pm] jokeefe: if we can do that it would be good
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: have a good night