Difference between revisions of "July 29th, 2020 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(17 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 16: Line 16:
  
 
* Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed
 
* Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed
 
=== Boston Sex Worker Event ===
 
 
Tentative Red Umbrella day on July 25th or Aug 22nd.  JoeO send dates around for feedback.
 
 
=== Computer donations ===
 
 
* [https://pad.riseup.net/p/RulesForDonations Rules]
 
* [https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/computer-donations Sign up form]
 
  
 
=== Regional Meetings/Events ===
 
=== Regional Meetings/Events ===
 
All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.
 
  
 
Leader: jokeefe
 
Leader: jokeefe
  
* Boston (jokeefe)
+
* Surveillance Mapping Event
* Worcester (Malt)
+
** Boston (jokeefe)
* Lowell (Joe)
+
** Worcester (Malt)
* Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
+
* Sex Worker event?
 +
* 2021 Boston Pride Festival
 
** table booked
 
** table booked
 
** setup signup sheet
 
** setup signup sheet
Line 43: Line 33:
 
** Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
 
** Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
  
=== Bills ===
+
=== Computer donations ===
 +
 
 +
* [https://pad.riseup.net/p/RulesForDonations Rules]
 +
* [https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/computer-donations Sign up form]
  
No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
  
Right to Repair
+
=== Bills ===
* out of committee
 
* next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
 
* see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.
 
  
Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.
+
* Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
 +
* Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill
 +
* Don't have an update on EARN IT Act or PATRIOT Act renewal
  
 
=== Platform Discussion ===
 
=== Platform Discussion ===
Line 59: Line 50:
  
 
=== Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) ===
 
=== Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) ===
 +
 +
Sent out email asking for date suggestions.
  
 
=== Other To Do ===
 
=== Other To Do ===
Line 65: Line 58:
 
* Conference survey
 
* Conference survey
 
* Statement on [https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200604/01241444641/major-publishers-sue-internet-archives-digital-library-program-midst-pandemic.shtml Archive.org Suit]
 
* Statement on [https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200604/01241444641/major-publishers-sue-internet-archives-digital-library-program-midst-pandemic.shtml Archive.org Suit]
* Statement on Extending the Eviction Moratorium - done
+
* <strike>Statement on Extending the Eviction Moratorium</strike>
* Statement on Right to Repair bill - done
+
* <strike>Statement on Right to Repair bill</strike>
* Statement on RCV ballot initiative being on the ballot - done
+
* <strike>Statement on RCV ballot initiative being on the ballot</strike>
* [https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/TrumpPolice Condemnation of Use of Federal LEOs in Portland and elsewhere] - done
+
* <strike>[https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/TrumpPolice Condemnation of Use of Federal LEOs in Portland and elsewhere]</strike>
 
 
 
 
  
 
== Tabled Projects ==
 
== Tabled Projects ==
Line 98: Line 89:
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
 
+
* jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
 +
* srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
 +
* Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
 +
* Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)
  
 
=== Observers ===
 
=== Observers ===
Line 110: Line 104:
 
== Summary ==
 
== Summary ==
  
Federal LEOs in Portland (and elsewhere).  Draft https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/TrumpPolice.  Malt to fine tune.
+
Next Pirate News recording - Sunday 7pm.
  
Pirate News recordingSunday 7pm.
+
Regional MeetingsDesmond suggests focusing on the EARN IT act.  See
 +
* https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution for background. 
 +
* https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/text for text.
 +
* https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200701/11302244826/senate-waters-down-earn-it-last-minute-gives-civil-liberties-groups-no-time-to-point-out-many-remaining-problems.shtml for more background
 +
Perhaps a call-a-thon (contact your senator, urge them not to support)
 +
 
 +
jokeefe and srevilak will try to contact offices of Warren and Markey, to get a sense of their positions.
 +
 
 +
Surveillance Camera Mapping Event.  Tentative date - Sept 12th.  Maybe another on Oct 17th or 24th.
 +
 
 +
jokeefe working on survey for conference.
 +
 
 +
srevilak to pick up some computer donations this weekend.
  
 
== Minutes ==
 
== Minutes ==
  
 
   <nowiki>
 
   <nowiki>
 
+
21:07 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
 +
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_29th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
 +
21:07 <@jokeefe> ids
 +
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
 +
21:07 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
 +
21:08 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
 +
21:08 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
 +
21:09 < Joe> Unfortunately not at this time.
 +
21:10 <@jokeefe> Projects
 +
21:10 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
 +
21:10 <@jokeefe> Sunday 7pm still good?
 +
21:11 < Joe> This week is good but the 26th is not.
 +
21:11 <@jokeefe> 26th?
 +
21:12 < Joe> Sorry, the 9th is not
 +
21:12 < Joe> looking at the wrong month but I'm still correct in this
 +
      week good: next week bad
 +
21:12 <@jokeefe> thanks
 +
21:13 <@jokeefe> Time to buckle down with OBS then
 +
21:13 < srevilak> This Sunday 7pm is okay for me
 +
21:13 < Joe> I also have a few extra cameras we can use for the project
 +
      and just upload.
 +
21:13 < srevilak> OBS?
 +
21:13 < Joe> Screen capture for MAC
 +
21:13 < srevilak> ah
 +
21:14 < Joe> *and audio
 +
21:14 <@jokeefe> https://obsproject.com/
 +
21:15 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
 +
21:16 <@jokeefe> Talked with Desmond. He thought focusing on the EARN
 +
      IT Act would be the better choice.
 +
21:17 < Joe> Sounds good.
 +
21:18 < srevilak> Hi Malt
 +
21:18 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
 +
21:18 < Joe> Hey Malt
 +
21:18 <@jokeefe> ahoy Malt
 +
21:18 < Malt> Sorry I'm late
 +
21:18 < srevilak> no worries
 +
21:19 < Joe> ^
 +
21:19 <@jokeefe> ++
 +
21:20 <@jokeefe> EARN IT Act protest seems a better than the sex worker
 +
      protest
 +
21:20 < Malt> I'll be here this weekend for video newsletter
 +
21:20 < srevilak> excellent
 +
21:20 <@jokeefe> wonderful. still 7pm Sunday
 +
21:22 <@jokeefe> When should we hold it?
 +
21:22 < Malt> That's fine with me
 +
21:23 <@jokeefe> the EARN IT Act protest, that is
 +
21:24 < Malt> What were we planning?
 +
21:24 < srevilak> How far has the senate gotten with EARN IT act?
 +
21:24 < Malt> I don't see it in the notes
 +
21:24 <@jokeefe> It got out of committee
 +
21:24 < srevilak> Malt: jokeefe is thinking of a EARN IT act protest
 +
21:25 < srevilak>
 +
      https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution
 +
21:25 < srevilak> (though a few months old)
 +
21:25 < srevilak>
 +
      https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/text
 +
21:25 < srevilak> has been marked up a bit
 +
21:26 <@jokeefe> 07/20/2020 Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar
 +
      under General Orders. Calendar No. 491.
 +
21:26 <@jokeefe> Action By: Senate
 +
21:26 <@jokeefe> 07/20/2020 Committee on the Judiciary. Reported by
 +
      Senator Graham with an amendment in the nature of a substitute. Without
 +
      written report.
 +
21:26 <@jokeefe>
 +
      https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/all-actions
 +
21:27 <@jokeefe>
 +
      https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200701/11302244826/senate-waters-down-earn-it-last-minute-gives-civil-liberties-groups-no-time-to-point-out-many-remaining-problems.shtml
 +
21:28 < Malt> How can we reach folk to speak out about it? A digital
 +
      blackout?
 +
21:29 <@jokeefe> That could be one step.
 +
21:29 <@jokeefe> Getting Markey and Warren to vote against it is a goal,
 +
      but getitng them to put a hold on it is better
 +
21:30 < Malt> A regional call-athon
 +
21:30 < Malt> Which county can call and email the most
 +
21:30 <@jokeefe> First step is finding out where they stand
 +
21:31 <@jokeefe> Regional call-athon would be good
 +
21:31 <@jokeefe> very social distanced
 +
21:33 < Malt> We could do a live stream during the event
 +
21:33 <@jokeefe> That would be a good idea
 +
21:35 <@jokeefe> Other thoughts?
 +
21:36 < Malt> We could lay out what kind of changes the act would bring
 +
      about and document our experience trying to live up to that
 +
21:36 < Joe> I was going to abstain since I don't have time currently
 +
      to assist in the calling. I do support it though
 +
21:37 <@jokeefe> Malt, that would be good
 +
21:37 <@jokeefe> Understandable, Joe considering your schedule
 +
21:37 <@jokeefe> I can call one of the Senators and ask their position
 +
      on the EARN IT Act. Would any one be able to call the other?
 +
21:37 < srevilak> sure - do you want Markey or Warren?
 +
21:38 <@jokeefe> either
 +
21:38 < srevilak> Okay, I'll take Markey
 +
21:38 <@jokeefe> Warren it is.
 +
21:38 <@jokeefe> Thanks, srevilak
 +
21:40 <@jokeefe> 1) Find out their position
 +
21:40 <@jokeefe> 2) Set a date for the call in
 +
21:40 <@jokeefe> 3) Have the call in
 +
21:40 <@jokeefe> Go from there
 +
21:40 < Malt> Perfect
 +
21:40 < srevilak> sounds good
 +
21:42 <@jokeefe> What about the Surveillance Mapping Event. What dates
 +
      work?
 +
21:42 < srevilak> Weekends in Aug are generally open right now (for me)
 +
21:43 <@jokeefe> What about September?
 +
21:43 < srevilak> They're pretty open too
 +
21:44 <@jokeefe> Ok. Not seeing a date for MassCANN Freedom Rally
 +
21:44 < srevilak> They seem to be in a bit of turmoil right now
 +
21:44 <@jokeefe> yes
 +
21:44 < srevilak> (Super Happy Fun America and all that)
 +
21:45 < Malt> Lmao
 +
21:45 <@jokeefe> plus the pandemic
 +
21:46 < Malt> Not a good vibe for exhaling clouds
 +
21:47 <@jokeefe> Guess if it happened, then Sept 19th would be the date
 +
21:47 <@jokeefe> Sept 12th?
 +
21:47 < srevilak> sure
 +
21:48 <@jokeefe> Malt, do you have any idea when would work in October?
 +
21:49 < Malt> Not the 8th, that weekend is my wife's birthday
 +
21:49 <@jokeefe> ok, if not. we can set the date later
 +
21:50 <@jokeefe> 17th or 24th?
 +
21:51 < Malt> 17th sounds good
 +
21:51 <@jokeefe> great. thanks
 +
21:52 <@jokeefe> I’ll get the party conference survey done by this
 +
      weekend, then we start planning it
 +
21:53 <@jokeefe> Computer donations - any update?
 +
21:53 < Malt> Put a note in my calendar
 +
21:53 < srevilak> computer donations: planning to pick up some on
 +
      Sat morning
 +
21:54 <@jokeefe> thanks
 +
21:55 < Malt> Niiiiice
 +
21:56 <@jokeefe> Sent email asking for date suggestions for the Democracy
 +
      and Dogfood (Tech) meeting
 +
21:58 <@jokeefe> Hope to have it setup this week
 +
21:58 <@jokeefe> or next
 +
21:58 < Malt> Cool!
 +
21:59 <@jokeefe> That is all I have.
 +
21:59 <@jokeefe> And we are at time
 +
21:59 <@jokeefe> Shall we adjourn?
 +
22:00 < Malt> Ok
 +
22:00 < srevilak> second motion to adjourn
 +
22:00 < Joe> aye
 +
22:00 <@jokeefe> aye
 +
22:00 < srevilak> will post transcript
 +
22:00 < Malt> Aye
 +
22:00 <@jokeefe> thanks
 
</nowiki>
 
</nowiki>

Latest revision as of 22:01, 29 July 2020

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Surveillance Mapping Event
    • Boston (jokeefe)
    • Worcester (Malt)
  • Sex Worker event?
  • 2021 Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Computer donations


Bills

  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill
  • Don't have an update on EARN IT Act or PATRIOT Act renewal

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Sent out email asking for date suggestions.

Other To Do

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey

Summary

Next Pirate News recording - Sunday 7pm.

Regional Meetings. Desmond suggests focusing on the EARN IT act. See

Perhaps a call-a-thon (contact your senator, urge them not to support)

jokeefe and srevilak will try to contact offices of Warren and Markey, to get a sense of their positions.

Surveillance Camera Mapping Event. Tentative date - Sept 12th. Maybe another on Oct 17th or 24th.

jokeefe working on survey for conference.

srevilak to pick up some computer donations this weekend.

Minutes

 
21:07 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_29th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:07 <@jokeefe> ids
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:07 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:08 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:08 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:09 < Joe> Unfortunately not at this time.
21:10 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:10 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:10 <@jokeefe> Sunday 7pm still good?
21:11 < Joe> This week is good but the 26th is not.
21:11 <@jokeefe> 26th?
21:12 < Joe> Sorry, the 9th is not
21:12 < Joe> looking at the wrong month but I'm still correct in this
       week good: next week bad
21:12 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:13 <@jokeefe> Time to buckle down with OBS then
21:13 < srevilak> This Sunday 7pm is okay for me
21:13 < Joe> I also have a few extra cameras we can use for the project
       and just upload.
21:13 < srevilak> OBS?
21:13 < Joe> Screen capture for MAC
21:13 < srevilak> ah
21:14 < Joe> *and audio
21:14 <@jokeefe> https://obsproject.com/
21:15 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:16 <@jokeefe> Talked with Desmond. He thought focusing on the EARN
       IT Act would be the better choice.
21:17 < Joe> Sounds good.
21:18 < srevilak> Hi Malt
21:18 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:18 < Joe> Hey Malt
21:18 <@jokeefe> ahoy Malt
21:18 < Malt> Sorry I'm late
21:18 < srevilak> no worries
21:19 < Joe> ^
21:19 <@jokeefe> ++
21:20 <@jokeefe> EARN IT Act protest seems a better than the sex worker
       protest
21:20 < Malt> I'll be here this weekend for video newsletter
21:20 < srevilak> excellent
21:20 <@jokeefe> wonderful. still 7pm Sunday
21:22 <@jokeefe> When should we hold it?
21:22 < Malt> That's fine with me
21:23 <@jokeefe> the EARN IT Act protest, that is
21:24 < Malt> What were we planning?
21:24 < srevilak> How far has the senate gotten with EARN IT act?
21:24 < Malt> I don't see it in the notes
21:24 <@jokeefe> It got out of committee
21:24 < srevilak> Malt: jokeefe is thinking of a EARN IT act protest
21:25 < srevilak>
       https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution
21:25 < srevilak> (though a few months old)
21:25 < srevilak>
       https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/text
21:25 < srevilak> has been marked up a bit
21:26 <@jokeefe> 07/20/2020	Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar
       under General Orders. Calendar No. 491.
21:26 <@jokeefe> Action By: Senate
21:26 <@jokeefe> 07/20/2020	Committee on the Judiciary. Reported by
       Senator Graham with an amendment in the nature of a substitute. Without
       written report.
21:26 <@jokeefe>
       https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/all-actions
21:27 <@jokeefe>
       https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200701/11302244826/senate-waters-down-earn-it-last-minute-gives-civil-liberties-groups-no-time-to-point-out-many-remaining-problems.shtml
21:28 < Malt> How can we reach folk to speak out about it? A digital
       blackout?
21:29 <@jokeefe> That could be one step.
21:29 <@jokeefe> Getting Markey and Warren to vote against it is a goal,
       but getitng them to put a hold on it is better
21:30 < Malt> A regional call-athon
21:30 < Malt> Which county can call and email the most
21:30 <@jokeefe> First step is finding out where they stand
21:31 <@jokeefe> Regional call-athon would be good
21:31 <@jokeefe> very social distanced
21:33 < Malt> We could do a live stream during the event
21:33 <@jokeefe> That would be a good idea
21:35 <@jokeefe> Other thoughts?
21:36 < Malt> We could lay out what kind of changes the act would bring
       about and document our experience trying to live up to that
21:36 < Joe> I was going to abstain since I don't have time currently
       to assist in the calling. I do support it though
21:37 <@jokeefe> Malt, that would be good
21:37 <@jokeefe> Understandable, Joe considering your schedule
21:37 <@jokeefe> I can call one of the Senators and ask their position
       on the EARN IT Act. Would any one be able to call the other?
21:37 < srevilak> sure - do you want Markey or Warren?
21:38 <@jokeefe> either
21:38 < srevilak> Okay, I'll take Markey
21:38 <@jokeefe> Warren it is.
21:38 <@jokeefe> Thanks, srevilak
21:40 <@jokeefe> 1) Find out their position
21:40 <@jokeefe> 2) Set a date for the call in
21:40 <@jokeefe> 3) Have the call in
21:40 <@jokeefe> Go from there
21:40 < Malt> Perfect
21:40 < srevilak> sounds good
21:42 <@jokeefe> What about the Surveillance Mapping Event. What dates
       work?
21:42 < srevilak> Weekends in Aug are generally open right now (for me)
21:43 <@jokeefe> What about September?
21:43 < srevilak> They're pretty open too
21:44 <@jokeefe> Ok. Not seeing a date for MassCANN Freedom Rally
21:44 < srevilak> They seem to be in a bit of turmoil right now
21:44 <@jokeefe> yes
21:44 < srevilak> (Super Happy Fun America and all that)
21:45 < Malt> Lmao
21:45 <@jokeefe> plus the pandemic
21:46 < Malt> Not a good vibe for exhaling clouds
21:47 <@jokeefe> Guess if it happened, then Sept 19th would be the date
21:47 <@jokeefe> Sept 12th?
21:47 < srevilak> sure
21:48 <@jokeefe> Malt, do you have any idea when would work in October?
21:49 < Malt> Not the 8th, that weekend is my wife's birthday
21:49 <@jokeefe> ok, if not. we can set the date later
21:50 <@jokeefe> 17th or 24th?
21:51 < Malt> 17th sounds good
21:51 <@jokeefe> great. thanks
21:52 <@jokeefe> I’ll get the party conference survey done by this
       weekend, then we start planning it
21:53 <@jokeefe> Computer donations - any update?
21:53 < Malt> Put a note in my calendar
21:53 < srevilak> computer donations: planning to pick up some on
       Sat morning
21:54 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:55 < Malt> Niiiiice
21:56 <@jokeefe> Sent email asking for date suggestions for the Democracy
       and Dogfood (Tech) meeting
21:58 <@jokeefe> Hope to have it setup this week
21:58 <@jokeefe> or next
21:58 < Malt> Cool!
21:59 <@jokeefe> That is all I have.
21:59 <@jokeefe> And we are at time
21:59 <@jokeefe> Shall we adjourn?
22:00 < Malt> Ok
22:00 < srevilak> second motion to adjourn
22:00 < Joe> aye
22:00 <@jokeefe> aye
22:00 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:00 < Malt> Aye
22:00 <@jokeefe> thanks