June 17th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 20:38, 17 June 2020 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

  • Motion to untable Sex workers act

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Computer donations

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Lowell (Joe)
  • Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Creynolds87

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • hvxgr_
  • Deffy
  • mikey
  • MikaelaSuomalainen

Summary

Discussion of untabling plans for a Red Umbrella event. Will untable and speak with Desmond. Unanimous support.

Computer donations. Joe reports that the wish foundation has been happy with what we've dropped off. Joe plans to deliver more used computers on Friday.

Pirate News. Next recording Monday at 8pm (day/time change to accommodate Fathers day)

Joe would like to record a few short solo videos. Effort supported.

Discussion of attempts to sue the Internet Archive for lending books like a library. See https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200604/01241444641/major-publishers-sue-internet-archives-digital-library-program-midst-pandemic.shtml. Unanimous vote in condemnation.

Minutes

 
21:04 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_17th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:04 <@jokeefe> ids
21:04 <@jokeefe> and anything to add?
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 < Joe> I would like to move Boston Sex Worker Petition back to an
       active status
21:06 <@jokeefe> why?
21:06 < Joe> We mentioned that it would be wise to do a red umbrella
       event in the summer time. It would be good to start on the organizing
       if we want to stick to that goal.
21:06 < srevilak> hi Creynolds87
21:06 <@jokeefe> ahoy Creynolds87!
21:06 < Creynolds87> Ahoy there
21:06 < Joe> Ahoy CReynolds87
21:07 < Creynolds87> Sorry I'm late
21:07 <@jokeefe> just starting
21:08 <@jokeefe> are there any dates coming up?
21:08 <@jokeefe> for a red umbrella event?
21:08 < srevilak> No dates I'm aware of, aside from Sunday pirate news
21:10 < Joe> I wanted to untable in order to make this an active item.
       If I recall Desmond was leading this and thus we should reach out to
       him. If he can't do it then draw straws?
21:10 < Joe> Should not be too hard to reach out to other orgs and see
       if we can't make another small push.
21:10 <@jokeefe> It makes sense to untable it and talk with Desmond
21:10 < srevilak> aye
21:11 < Joe> Motion to untable Sex workers act then!
21:11 < srevilak> second
21:11 <@jokeefe> aye
21:11 < Joe> aye
21:11 < Creynolds87> Aye
21:12 <@jokeefe> any opposed
21:12 <@jokeefe> ?
21:12 < srevilak> Looks unanimous
21:12 <@jokeefe> aye
21:12 <@jokeefe> motion passes
21:13 <@jokeefe> Computer donations - we haven’t gotten donations in
       a few weeks. keep asking?
21:14 < Joe> I still have a few that need to go over.  I have not had
       as much time to drop them off these last few days.  I plan to head over
       there on Friday though.
21:14 < Joe> I'll check with them to see if the still want more of
       them but from what I can tell they have been very happy with what they
       have gotten,
21:15 <@jokeefe> glad to hear it
21:15 <@jokeefe> I can use that in the next email.
21:16 < Joe> I also donated diapers, which have been in much need
       these days.
21:16 <@jokeefe> I am sure
21:16 <@jokeefe> Sunday 7pm a good time to record the next Pirate News?
21:17 < Creynolds87> Sounds good to me
21:17 < srevilak> works for me
21:17 < Joe> Good for me too
21:17 < Joe> Except wait
21:17 < Joe> This sunday is father's day?
21:18 < Creynolds87> Oh that's right
21:18 <@jokeefe> yes
21:18 < Joe> Could we push the recording to Monday at 8?
21:18 <@jokeefe> I am available
21:18 < srevilak> I could do Monday 8pm
21:18 < Creynolds87> So am I
21:19 < Joe> I also wanted to see if this council was ok with me making
       short blasts
21:19 < srevilak> solo video?
21:20 < Joe> The thought would be 1 - 2 minute videos that are very
       click-baity in order to raise the subs.
21:20 < Joe> We now have 105 Subs, lost a few but then gained a few more.
21:21 < Joe> Our average watch time is 5 hours
21:21 <@jokeefe> I have no objections
21:21 < srevilak> I have no objections
21:21 < Creynolds87> That's good
21:21 < Creynolds87> No objections
21:23 < Joe> The facial recog got us a lot of area time, so some focus
       on the fundamentals of internet safety could not hurt.
21:23 <@jokeefe> Have fun storming the castle!
21:24 < Joe> lol
21:24 < Joe> Maybe a message to Anon, telling them we support them
21:24 < Joe> Ect.
21:26 <@jokeefe> Should we issue a statement on
       https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200604/01241444641/major-publishers-sue-internet-archives-digital-library-program-midst-pandemic.shtml
21:26 < Creynolds87> I think we should. Definitely a pirate issue
21:27 < Joe> Also as an update, I have spent some time getting more
       organized for the videos so that which we discuss here can be remembered
       and talked about during our main videos.
21:28 <@jokeefe> that makes sense
21:29 <@jokeefe> motion to oppose this attempt at censorship
21:29 < srevilak> second
21:30 < Creynolds87> Aye
21:30 <@jokeefe> aye
21:30 < Joe> aye
21:31 <@jokeefe> any opposed?
21:32 <@jokeefe> motion passes. I’ll put a pad up to work on the text
       and send to the email list
21:32 < Creynolds87> Sounds good
21:33 < Joe> I updated the wiki with both decisions but not the results
21:33 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:36 <@jokeefe> sorry that’s all it have. been a busy week
21:36 < srevilak> Motion to adjourn?
21:36 < Joe> 2nd
21:37 < Creynolds87> Aye
21:37 <@jokeefe> aye
21:37 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:37 < Joe> ty