June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:48, 1 February 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Welcome

  • PirateCon & Officer Elections
  • Things to add?

Aaron James Campaign

Cryptoparties

  • Western Mass. cryptoparty tentatively set for August. Awaiting a final date. Possibly in Shelburne Falls.
  • Possible cryptoparty at a Boston Public Library
  • Possible cryptoparty at a Somerville Public Library
  • Possible cryptoparty at a Middlesex Community College in September
  • Possible cryptoparty at a high school after August. Not Pirate Party event of course.
  • No word on Taunton cryptoparty

Also, may have some how to FOIA talks lined up. Muckrock interested in doing one for high school students and Maya Shaffer offered to give one to a more general audience.

Pirate Picnic

Planning to take the noon ferry. Might be useful to have folks arrive early to get a table. Schedule and tickets.

Freedom Rally

Freedom Rally is 9/17-18. Are we signed up? If not when must we?

Upcoming Events

  1. July, Democracy/IT meeting
  2. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  3. August, WMass Cryptoparty?
  4. 8/7, noon+ (11am ferry), Pirate Picnic, Georges Island
  5. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  6. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally
  7. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  8. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-noon, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Lulu (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Portable_Cheese
  • Velveeta_Chef
  • Moses
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaai

Summary

Piratecon. Around 18 attendees over the course of the day. Streaming went well; audio quality was decent. Since venue was so inexpensive, we may want to do another conference in November (post election). The second conference could focus on running for local elections. Should also do a fundraiser at some point.

Aaron James campaign. Working on outreach and getting more volunteers.

No June cryptoparty (Somerville)

On july 3rd, there's a rally in Great Barrington, in opposition to GE dumping PCBs in the Housatonic river. We vote to endorse the rally (5-0, no abstentions)

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < papegaai> Title: June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < Lulu> Lucia Fiero
21:04 < jokeefe> Anything anyone wants to add?
21:05 < jokeefe> Welcome all
21:05 < jokeefe> Review - PirateCon
21:05 < Moses> wait
21:05 < jokeefe> ok
21:05 < Moses> or just be like "hey everyone this protest is happening?"
21:05 < Moses> can I add an event? to the list?
21:05 < Moses> I don't know where that would be approriate
21:06 < jokeefe> sure
21:06 < jokeefe> we tend to discuss events we plan to run or be at
21:06 < jokeefe> srevilak, does Moses have a wiki account?
21:06 < Moses> working on it!
21:06 < srevilak> yes, and a blog account
21:07 < jokeefe> We add events to
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2016_Event_Calendar
21:07 < papegaai> Title: 2016 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:08 < Moses> wonderful!
21:08 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/Current_Event_Calendar
        redirects to it
21:08 < papegaai> Title: 2016 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:08 < Moses> thanks you!
21:08 < jokeefe> If it is our event, I bold it
21:08 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:08 < Kendra> Hi All, Kendra Moyer, in Boston at the moment
21:09 < jokeefe> what is the event, Moses
21:09 < jokeefe> ?
21:09 < jokeefe> Kendra - Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:09 < papegaai> Title: June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:11 < jokeefe> Review of PirateCon?
21:11 < Moses> it's a protest. I'll see about puttin git on the wiki
21:11 < jokeefe> Streaming went fairly well for our first time, thanks
        srevilak
21:12 < jokeefe> And the audio sounded good, thanks srevilak
21:12 < srevilak> thx.  Next year, goal is video too
21:12 < Lulu> How was the turn out?
21:12 < jokeefe> looking forward to it
21:13 < srevilak> Lulu: maybe 18 people over the course of the day?
        Plus a few tuning in remotely
21:13 < Lulu> Thanks.
21:14 < jokeefe> I think having it in Spring would increase turnout
21:15 < srevilak> On the bright side, less signature gathering in
        odd-numbered years
21:15 < jokeefe> Since the site was inexpensive, having a second one in
        November that actually makes decisions and debates ideas might work
21:16 < jokeefe> Agreed
21:16 < Moses> second
21:16 < srevilak> agreed (second conference in Nov, post election)
21:16 < jokeefe> A Nov. meeting could also focus on training for running
        for local office, etc
21:17 < Moses> AYE
21:17 < jokeefe> Perhaps have a fundraiser in the evening and make the
        conference free or would people be too tired by then?
21:17 < Lulu> You need better promotion. I am good at promotion, but I
        was sick, sorry. Happy to be in promotion if I continue to improve as
        I have been.
21:18 < Lulu> Jason is also good at promotion but he was busy taking
        care of me.
21:18 < jokeefe> We always could use more promotion
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'd do fundraiser/conference as different
        events
21:18 < Moses> I had an idea for that actually
21:18 < Moses> making little booklets
21:18 < Moses> essays, articles ect
21:18 < Lulu> Well, I pledge next year if my health is strong enough to
        really throw myself into the job.
21:18 < srevilak> Moses: kind of like zines?
21:19 < Lulu> Awesome Moses!
21:19 < jokeefe> Having a coordinated promotion plan would work
21:19 < jokeefe> Booklets are great, Moses
21:20 < Moses> I would be up to write like postion papers or genearl essay
21:20 < jokeefe> make available for free download or in paper for a
        donation or in bulk
21:20 < Lulu> “I'd do fundraiser/conference as different events”
        Agreed srevilak
21:20 < jokeefe> did you all see this -
        http://boingboing.net/2016/06/10/spains-podemos-party-publish.html
21:20 < papegaai> Title: Spains Podemos Party publishes its manifesto
        in Ikea Catalog form / Boing Boing (at boingboing.net)
21:20 < srevilak> Moses: that would be great
21:20 < jokeefe> different events sounds sensible
21:20 < Lulu> HAHAHAAHA! jokeefe
21:21 < jokeefe> We can ask for donations of course
21:21 < jokeefe> you hadn’t seen that one yet, Lulu?
21:21 < Lulu> Dude. Sick. Like you wouldn’t believe.
21:22 < jokeefe> I cannot imagine
21:23 < jokeefe> I like doing it as an IKEA catalog, though like an LL
        Bean catalog could be funny too
21:23 < Lulu> Very clever. Yes.
21:24 < jokeefe> Any how, Nov. meeting would focus on issues and local
        offices
21:24 < Moses> yes sounds good
21:24 < jokeefe> Have one thing instead of the many lunch meetings we
        had last year
21:25 < jokeefe> So please think on when would be good.
21:26 < jokeefe> Other observations on PirateCon?
21:27 < Lulu> Wait, Nov meeting? Did I miss something?
21:27 < jokeefe> That was my suggestion.  Or early Dec.
21:27 < jokeefe> After election
21:27 < srevilak> Lulu: look back in chat at ~ 21:15
21:28 < Lulu> Wow. Must be dozing off...
21:28 < Lulu> OK UTD
21:29 < jokeefe> I know I want to be ;-)
21:29 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign - campaign continues.  Working on
        outreach ideas and getting more volunteers
21:30 < jokeefe> Noe would speak to it better than I can at the moment
21:30 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties
21:30 < jokeefe> No June Somerville Cryptoparty
21:30 < jokeefe> in case you planned to attend
21:31 < jokeefe> July-September may be busy
21:31 < jokeefe> when it rains …
21:31 < Moses> where is he running?
21:31 < Lulu> 27th Middlesex
21:31 < jokeefe> 27th Middlesex - Somerville
21:32 < Lulu> Part of Somerville
21:32 < jokeefe> 2nd time we ran someone in that district
21:32 < Lulu> 2nd time Noe is working that beat.
21:32 < jokeefe> Only Pirates have ever challenged the incumbent in
        the general
21:32 < Lulu> #howweroll
21:33 < jokeefe> Moses, would you be able to make a WMass cryptoparty
        on a weekend?
21:34 < Moses> mmmm depends
21:34 < Moses> I'm something of a farmer
21:34 < Moses> so I have to make the farmers markets
21:35 < jokeefe> understandable
21:35 < jokeefe> Do you go to the NOFA (I think) gatherings?
21:35 < Lulu> Weekends is prime activism time.
21:36 < Moses> I didn't
21:36 < Moses> that's probobly true but there isn't much going on here.
21:37 < jokeefe> no worries.  I remember going to them when I was a Green.
        wondering if they would be good venues for Pirates
21:37 < Moses> I could research more?
21:37 < jokeefe> If you have the time, that would be great
21:38 < jokeefe> Would be good to flesh out your ideas on open
        agriculture, if I understood it right
21:38 < jokeefe> On other events, the Pirate Picnic isn 8/7
21:39 < Lulu> They would be great venues for Pirates as they are all
        about GMO transparency aren’t they?
21:39 < Lulu> Moses:
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/08/28/join-the-massachusetts-pirate-party-in-supporting-gmo-labelling-bill-h-3242/
21:39 < jokeefe> haven’t been in a while, so I wouldn’t know
21:39 < papegaai> Title: Join the Massachusetts Pirate Party in
        supporting GMO labelling bill H. 3242 | Massachusetts Pirate Party
        (at masspirates.org)
21:41 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally is 9/17-18.  Have they asked us to pay yet?
21:42 < jokeefe> What was the event you wanted to add Moses?
21:42 < Moses> it's a very specific issue to my area
21:43 < Lulu> OK shoot.
21:43 < Lulu> Oh, you mean the GMO thing?
21:43 < Moses> GE dumping PCBs in to the Housatonic River
21:43 < Lulu> OH!
21:43 < Lulu> Excellent.
21:44 < Lulu> You know my husaband and fellow Pirate remediates PCBs
        knows all the MA laws.
21:44 < jokeefe> Ties in well with the subsidy we are giving to GE to
        move their HQ here.  The didn’t pay to do the clean up?
21:44 < Lulu> Nope.
21:44 < Lulu> Fuckers.
21:44 < Moses> agreed
21:44 < Moses> https://www.facebook.com/events/1141429612581427/
21:44 < papegaai> Title: Mega March Against the Dumps (at
        www.facebook.com)
21:45 < Moses> They've been doing alot a letter writting
21:45 < Moses> which i have mixed feelings about
21:45 < Lulu> Ugh. This Sunday. Not I. Still weak.
21:46 < jokeefe> Do I have a 2nd for endorsing?
21:46 < Lulu> 2nd
21:46 < srevilak> second
21:47 < Lulu> JEEBUS!
21:47 < Lulu> They want to dump MORE?
21:47 < Lulu> I had no idea!
21:47 < Moses> thanks guys
21:47 < srevilak> I might be able to make a trip out on Sun.  Will figure
        out for sure tomorrow
21:48 < Moses> let me know
21:48 < jokeefe> is there a link with more info on what they are
        proposing?
21:48 < srevilak> hi Mobile_Cheese
21:49 < Lulu> “is there a link with more info on what they are
        proposing?” for me, too.
21:49 < jokeefe> If you go, srevilak, I can get you the banner.  I don’t
        think I will be able to do
21:49 < jokeefe> go
21:49 < Moses>
        http://theberkshireedge.com/ge-intent-on-dumping-on-the-berkshires-with-housatonic-river-cleanup/
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: ok
21:49 < papegaai> Title: GE plans to dump on the Berkshires with
        Housatonic River cleanup - The Berkshire Edge (at theberkshireedge.com)
21:50 < Lulu> What is the point of cleaning it up if they are going to
        redump it?
21:51 < Moses> Idek
21:51 < jokeefe> It will be contained really well this time.  Just trust
        them</sarcasm>
21:52 < jokeefe> $250 million to move it out.  Our subsidy to them is
        getting near that amount
21:52 < jokeefe> Any discussion?
21:52 < Moses> there are a few layers of this that are emesenly frustrting
21:52 < Lulu> Jason is out, or I would be asking him about this right
        now. I will consult with him afterwards. He prolly knows somwone involved
        in the current process.
21:52 < Lulu> Complicated stuff can be sent to the email list for
        further reading
21:53 < Moses> like Fish and Game stock the Housie because it's got
        great for fly fishing
21:53 < Moses> but we can't eat any of the fish
21:54 < jokeefe> “Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
        (MassDEP) estimates that about 75 per cent of the PCBs will remain in
        the river soil and sediments, with only about 25 percent actually dredged
        and removed”
21:55 < Moses> yayyyy.
21:56 < jokeefe> seeing no discussion.  all in favor of endorsing
        this rally?
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 < Lulu> See, they haven’t cleaned it up, and they have their
        hands in our pockets for operations in Boston.
21:56 < Kendra> aye
21:56 < Lulu> aye
21:57 < jokeefe> aye
21:57 < Moses> aye
21:57 < srevilak> I'm sure there will be more ge demonstrations in Boston.
        This will be a good item to bring up
21:57 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:58 < jokeefe> agreed, srevilak
21:59 < Kendra> When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten,
        and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money
21:59 < Kendra> It has been said
21:59 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:00 < srevilak> anything else (we're about at time)
22:00 < jokeefe> Moses, do you want to write a draft statement of
        endorsement to put up?
22:00 < jokeefe> We can put it on the blog and email it out
22:00 < jokeefe> yes, we are srevilak
22:00 < Moses> yes, positively.
22:00 < Kendra> motion to adjourn, once Moses replies
22:00 < jokeefe> We keep IRC meetings to an hour, Moses
22:00 < jokeefe> thanks Moses
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:00 < Moses> wonderful
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:01 < Moses> who do I send that to
22:01 < Lulu> aye
22:01 < Moses> aye
22:01 < Kendra> aye
22:01 < Lulu> um...
22:01 < srevilak> Moses: you can send statement to jamie and myself
        (or the activists list)
22:01 < Lulu> info@...?
22:01 < Moses> thank you!
22:01 < srevilak> info@ works too
22:01 < Lulu> me too! REDACTED
22:02 < jokeefe> thanks for mentioning that, srevilak
22:02 < Kendra> nite all, nice seeing everyone this weekend, keep up the good work and see you at HOPE.
22:02 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:02 < srevilak> jokeefe: will post minutes
22:02 < Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
22:02 < jokeefe> thank you
22:02 < Lulu> Night peeps.
22:02 < Lulu left the chat room.
22:02 < jokeefe> have a wonderfull night all.  See you next week, but not next Monday