May 1st, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. When to hand in sigs & other docs for Noelani & Joe to Elections Division - May 12th, 19th, or other? Has to be by May 27th
    1. Need press releases & quotes


  1. 2014 Campaign
    1. Press release announcing candidates separate from turning in signatures?
  2. 5/9 Fundraiser
    1. Poster & handbills
      1. 1-up flyer
      2. 4-up flyer
    2. Blog post - Up, but need another with flier info
    3. Email reminder - Friday morning & next week
    4. Logistics - pad
      1. Food?
  3. Events
    1. Saturday, May 3rd, MIT Bitcoin Expo, Will attending
    2. Tuesday, May 6th, International Day against DRM
      1. Need blog post
    3. May 9 & 10th, BSides Boston, James attending
    4. Friday, May 9th, Together x General Assembly present the 2nd HackTogether, Boston
    5. Sunday, May 18th, General Assembly/Together Boston Cryptoparty
    6. Saturday, May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
    7. Saturday, May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
    8. Thursday, June 5th, Reset the Net
  4. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Finance update
  5. Tech Issues
    1. js0000 obtained cartel certificate for Installed
    2. Wordpress needs a little work before we can force all traffic over https
    3. Srevilak working on CiviCRM
    4. BitPay
    5. voter reg. app on hold for a month


  1. May 9th. MAPP Fundraiser, 7-11pm, Democracy Center
  2. May 9-10, Security Bsides Boston, Calling for papers
  3. May 17th Together Boston Festival
  4. May 18th Together Boston Cryptoparty, General Assembly, Boston
  5. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  6. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
  7. June 5th, Reset the Net
  8. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date before May 9th


  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Joe (Joe Guertin, Bellingham, Ma)
  • Igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)


  • davidd
  • zby
  • ageis


Candidates. Noe has enough confirmed signatures. Awaiting confirmation count for Joe's signatures.

Plan to deliver paperwork to Secretary of State's office on May 22nd, as a group.

Fundraiser. Have to coordinate food this week. Lucia will work with our food volunteers.

Due to OCPF restrictions on contributions for folks under 18, we'll keep the student donation at $10.

Several people flyering this weekend.

Kendra suggests inviting groups like Move to Amend, Community Change Inc, Socialist Alternative, IWW and the rest

Steve will work on web forms (for donor data entry)

Meeting Minutes


[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda at,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:01pm] igel joined the chat room. [9:02pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville [9:02pm] noe: Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: Lucia Fiero [9:02pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA [9:03pm] Bluelustreak: Joe id pls [9:04pm] Joe: Joe Guertin, Bellingham, Ma [9:04pm] igel: William Fleurant, Arlington MA [9:04pm] jokeefe: 1. Decisions [9:04pm] jokeefe: When to hand in sigs & other docs for Noelani & Joe to Elections Division [9:05pm] jokeefe: May 12th seems too close to the fundraiser. [9:05pm] srevilak: Do they have to be turned in on a Monday? [9:05pm] jokeefe: BTW: May 20th seems to be the date Snowden got on a flight to HK [9:05pm] jokeefe: no, srevilak [9:05pm] shep joined the chat room. [9:05pm] jokeefe: Just by 27th, 5pm [9:05pm] noe: I'm okay with choosing a significant date. [9:06pm] jokeefe: hi shep [9:06pm] Bluelustreak: *looks at candidate checklist* [9:07pm] srevilak: I assume that some last minute thing will prevent us from turning in signatures on any given target date. As long as we leave ourselves time to formulate plan B [9:07pm] jokeefe: Any other suggestions for dates? [9:07pm] Bluelustreak: [9:07pm] noe: Steve is right. I guess the details is who is handing the stuff in? [9:08pm] Bluelustreak: I just need some time to recover from the fundraiser. [9:08pm] jokeefe: He probably left on either the 19th or the 18th. He arrived in HK on the 20th [9:08pm] Bluelustreak: Tuesdays are bad for me [9:08pm] Bluelustreak: 3:30 is AJ's soc skill class [9:09pm] Bluelustreak: I missed taking him to that this week because I passed out after standing in the cold with Joe. [9:09pm] jokeefe: I just won't want to wait too close to the 27th or too close to Friday [9:09pm] Bluelustreak: Of course! [9:09pm] Bluelustreak: I like the 14th! [9:09pm] Bluelustreak: But if you like the 20th... [9:10pm] jokeefe: we would need to send out the prelim press release yesterday [9:10pm] Bluelustreak: It's all too much for our small band! [9:10pm] jokeefe: aye, be be a busy crew [9:11pm] noe: so, someone should send the press release tomorrow or soon? [9:11pm] jokeefe: how about the 22nd? [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: I am working on promoting the fundraiser [9:11pm] noe: (I say, pick the 14th and if we get waylaid, we'll do the 20th) [9:11pm] noe: (or the 22nd) [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: We could still mention Snowden on the 14th [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: He must have done something of significance a year ago the 14th [9:12pm] jokeefe: Candidates have to be there, officers ideally and anyone else we can get to go [9:12pm] srevilak: I second noe: 14th with 20th as backup [9:12pm] jokeefe: we can mention snowden at anytime [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: I will be there, the kids will just have to understand [9:12pm] jokeefe: I say later if we want to get press and people out to it. [9:13pm] jokeefe: and not conflict with fundraiser [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: Who do you know in the press personally? [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: I know only ONE guy, but he is #2 at FOX 25 news [9:13pm] jokeefe: not many, but we have some people we can approach [9:13pm] srevilak: Silly question: where does paperwork have to be turned in? Since we have two candidates, is it in two towns? [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Prolly best we could hope from him is mention on the website [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Sec of State? [9:14pm] noe: I believe Lucia is right [9:15pm] Bluelustreak: srevilak [9:15pm] Bluelustreak: last item i believe [9:15pm] srevilak: I see. Submit to state elections division in boston [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: Yes last item under first paragraph oops [9:16pm] jokeefe: yes, state elections [9:16pm] jokeefe: how many for the 14th? [9:16pm] jokeefe: straw poll [9:16pm] Kendra joined the chat room. [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: 14th for me [9:16pm] jokeefe: ahoy Kendra! [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: Howdy, K! [9:17pm] Kendra: Hi Mass Pirates, Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI [9:17pm] noe: It's a Wednesday and I can take time off to get there during the day . . . I should be okay. [9:17pm] igel: Hey Kendra [9:17pm] jokeefe: any other folks for the 14th? [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: Joe? [9:18pm] srevilak: I'll have to pass on the 14th [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: Oh [9:18pm] jokeefe: Is that any weekday srevilak? [9:21pm] jokeefe: ok, then what about the 22nd? [9:21pm] srevilak: Unfortunately, yes. At least until May 16th. [9:21pm] srevilak: (Support rotation at work) [9:21pm] srevilak: COuld do 22nd [9:21pm] noe: Its a Thursday, and I could do that, too. [9:21pm] jokeefe: Joe, Bluestreak? [9:22pm] jokeefe: Bluelustreak? [9:22pm] Joe: sorry had to run downstairs [9:23pm] Joe: Not sure about the 14th, I can try to clear my appointments for that day [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: 22nd is fine leave no room for error [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: we must be 100% on point and prepared. [9:24pm] jokeefe: well we need to be that way anyway. [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: If we fail on the 22 we still have a few days left to limp in, someone less triumpantly [9:24pm] jokeefe: All it is is dropping off paperwork [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: Oh yeah? You do it then! [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: LOL [9:24pm] jokeefe: Everything can be done by next week. [9:25pm] Bluelustreak: Its so easy people! [9:25pm] shep left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 264 seconds) [9:25pm] jokeefe: Yeah, done it, twice. [9:25pm] Bluelustreak: Were you running a fundraiser? How did your wife feel about the time it took you? [9:25pm] Bluelustreak: [9:25pm] noe: LOL [9:26pm] jokeefe: Right, that is why moving it to the 22nd gives more time. [9:26pm] noe: Should we talk about the funraiser now? [9:26pm] jokeefe: we are half way into this. candidates what do you two want? [9:27pm] shep joined the chat room. [9:27pm] Bluelustreak: Joe 22nd work for you? [9:27pm] jokeefe: welcome back shep [9:27pm] Bluelustreak: noe, work for you? [9:27pm] Joe: It should work for me [9:27pm] noe: It should work for me, too. [9:28pm] jokeefe: Any objections to the 22nd? [9:28pm] noe: excited! [9:28pm] srevilak: okay with 22nd [9:28pm] Bluelustreak: Me too! [9:28pm] Bluelustreak: Open media boston [9:28pm] Bluelustreak: Young Jurks [9:28pm] jokeefe: seeing none from the interested parties - moving on to 5/9 Fundraiser [9:29pm] jokeefe: Put in requests for a poster. Will follow up after this meeting. Have srevilak's as well. [9:29pm] Bluelustreak: Sigh [9:30pm] Bluelustreak: We need these posters up yesterday [9:30pm] jokeefe: yes, that is true. [9:30pm] Bluelustreak: Folks who live in the urban areas should be in charge of this. [9:31pm] Bluelustreak: We don't have a final menu. [9:31pm] Bluelustreak: We don't have any preregs [9:31pm] noe: Zero preregs? [9:31pm] Bluelustreak: jokeefe? [9:32pm] srevilak: I've not seen any preregistrations [9:32pm] Bluelustreak: We can promote it heavliy to the activist community [9:32pm] Bluelustreak: like the activists' ball was [9:32pm] Bluelustreak: but many ppl will already have plans [9:32pm] Bluelustreak: And by we I mean me [9:33pm] Bluelustreak: Soc med and emails and calls are easy enough to do from suburbia [9:33pm] Bluelustreak: getting the posters up in the high traffic/likely response areas? Not so much. [9:33pm] jokeefe: We can get posters up over the weekend. [9:33pm] srevilak: I'll try to work on coordinating food. We have Bobbi, and one other volunteer [9:33pm] jokeefe: lets lock down food [9:34pm] Bluelustreak: I really need Jamie, Steve, Noe, Will to get the posters up THIS WEEKEND. [9:34pm] Bluelustreak: Yes. [9:34pm] Bluelustreak: Food. [9:34pm] Bluelustreak: Bobbi Nicciosa offered to cook vegan [9:34pm] Bluelustreak: I suck at vegan. [9:35pm] Bluelustreak: I have two crock pots. I will need to shop wed? thurs? [9:35pm] srevilak: other volunteer was Leilani Mroczkowski (Platzz).,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:35pm] jokeefe: Will focus on getting the word out [9:35pm] Kendra: Just put it out there, peopele will show up. And keep the food on the simple side to save your sanity. Maybe do a flyering on the orange and red lines and hop off at a couple of opportune spots, but don't kill yourselves. [9:35pm] noe: Thanks Kendra! [9:35pm] noe: I could do the red line over the weekend. [9:36pm] Bluelustreak: Well, I have to pressure you all just a little or we will have an empty hall [9:36pm] noe: Thinking of dropping by Bitcoin and Somerville Open Studios this weekend [9:36pm] noe: A little postering never hurt anyone. [9:36pm] srevilak: silly question: do we want to bill it as a fundraiser, or as a birthday party? [9:36pm] noe: Both? [9:36pm] noe: Either way, cake? [9:36pm] Bluelustreak: Yes. [9:36pm] igel: chea [9:36pm] Bluelustreak: Cheap supermarket sheet cake? [9:36pm] srevilak: Bluelustreak: works for me [9:37pm] Bluelustreak: And a little cake on the side for Jamie's missus. [9:37pm] Bluelustreak: Jason and I will supply that. [9:37pm] Bluelustreak: Something good, like from Whole Foods. [9:38pm] srevilak: I'll contact Bobbi and Leilani. Hopefully they have time to work with us, and I'll see what they can offer to bring. [9:38pm] jokeefe: birthday party [9:38pm] Bluelustreak: Oh! really? Thanks! [9:38pm] Bluelustreak: Have them reply to me, too. [9:38pm] srevilak: I'll say we can reimburse for food [9:39pm] srevilak: But it's tricky not knowing a head count. [9:39pm] Bluelustreak: I will have to cordinate shopping lists [9:39pm] Bluelustreak: I would assume we will get 50 [9:39pm] jokeefe: Yes, that was my guess as well. [9:39pm] Bluelustreak: and if we run out of food we can have chips and salsa as a back up. [9:39pm] shep left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [9:39pm] srevilak: Bluelustreak: perhaps easiest if you get in touch with Bobbi and Leilani? [9:39pm] Bluelustreak: Sure I will do that [9:40pm] srevilak: Bluelustreak: thx, much appreciated [9:40pm] Bluelustreak: I need Leilani's email, please forward [9:40pm] Kendra: Call/email all of the organizations we work with and tell them it's a partay (for a good cause and small fee). I can send some email invites out tomorrow to groups I know about. with the flyer attached. I will have some time. [9:40pm] Bluelustreak: I asked 3 ppl to mention our event on WEMF [9:40pm] Bluelustreak: so far Frank Capone has agreed [9:40pm] shep joined the chat room. [9:40pm] Bluelustreak: I will keep on that. [9:41pm] Bluelustreak: Kendra suggest some names of orgs if you can... email is fine [9:42pm] jokeefe: One change I suggest. Since the OCPF limits contributions to under 18 year olds to to $25/year, suggest we keep the donation at the door to $10 for under 18. [9:42pm] jokeefe: any objections? [9:42pm] Bluelustreak: No [9:42pm] Bluelustreak: Can you note that somewhere on the blog/pyrix/both? [9:43pm] srevilak: jokeefe: no objections [9:43pm] noe: jokeefe: no objections [9:43pm] jokeefe: anyone else? [9:43pm] Kendra: none here [9:44pm] jokeefe: ok, will update it [9:45pm] jokeefe: we can also flyer at BSides [9:45pm] Bluelustreak: Um when is that again? [9:46pm] jokeefe: 9th & 10th [9:46pm] igel: if you want to split up fliers at mit sat, ill be there [9:46pm] igel: or posting em up, etc.. [9:46pm] jokeefe: BTW: the FB event has 13 going 15 maybe [9:46pm] Bluelustreak: Oh you mean flyer on the 9th? [9:46pm] jokeefe: yes [9:46pm] srevilak: My Sat. schedule is up in the air. But I can go flyering on Sunday [9:46pm] jokeefe: heard from someone else that they have seven coming. [9:46pm] jokeefe: ok [9:46pm] Bluelustreak: We need da monies! [9:48pm] jokeefe: ok, so srevilak focusing on menu with help from Bluelustreak. I got postering with help from srevilak and others. Bluelustreak doing more outreach. [9:49pm] jokeefe: What lists to post to besides act-ma? [9:49pm] srevilak: Could ask zak to mention us at end DRM day on the 6th? [9:49pm] jokeefe: Also can call all the people on our list in Eastern Mass. [9:50pm] jokeefe: we can ask [9:50pm] noe: Phone call party!!! [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: not enuff time [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: But i will coordinate with you if you like noe [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: split the list [9:50pm] jokeefe: we got the list up, we can split it up. [9:50pm] jokeefe: keep it quick. just the details [9:51pm] Bluelustreak: I am calling becasue we woudl REALLY like you to join us at our birthday party [9:52pm] Bluelustreak: Your paid admission is your birthday gift to us. [9:52pm] Bluelustreak: WE APPRECIATE YOU! [9:53pm] noe: I think that is a good speech. I will copy it. [9:53pm] Kendra: I will invite groups like Move to Amend, Community Change Inc, Socialist Alternative, IWW and the rest. [9:53pm] jokeefe: thank you! [9:53pm] noe: Kendra, you are awesome. [9:53pm] Bluelustreak: Thanks Kendra [9:54pm] srevilak: will work on web forms, to take contributor info at the door [9:54pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:54pm] Bluelustreak: I am strating to think is isn't going to suck. [9:54pm] noe: and if it does, I'll still be there. [9:55pm] jokeefe: that makes it all the better! [9:55pm] Bluelustreak: Yay! We'll always have each other! Sniff! [9:56pm] noe: Wow, we're at five minutes of: time flies when we're planning stuff [9:56pm] noe: Are there any other things we need to do for the fundraiser by this weekend? [9:56pm] Bluelustreak: Promote [9:56pm] Bluelustreak: Promote promote promote [9:57pm] jokeefe: aye! [9:57pm] Bluelustreak: I have a pretty big commitment this Sat in Holyoke so I will be fairly bz this w/e [9:57pm] jokeefe: hand out fliers [9:58pm] jokeefe: [9:58pm] srevilak: To summarize: Lucia = food, steve = web forms, publicity = everyone? [9:58pm] Bluelustreak: I will, but idk how many of them are willing to leave the happy valley to join us. [9:58pm] Bluelustreak: There are people from all over MA, there though. Oh! [9:58pm] jokeefe: confused, thought you & lucia were going to coordinate food [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: Dave will totally let me address the crowd. [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: at the mike on the dance floor I am sure. I have some words put together for that already. [10:00pm] srevilak: jokeefe: given exchange at 21:39, I had impression that Bluelustreak was going to do food [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: Good time to bring up the dial up only problem in so many western towns! [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: I am [10:00pm] srevilak: jokeefe: apologies if I misinterpreted that [10:00pm] srevilak: Bluelustreak: thx again [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: I am food worker and coordinator [10:00pm] noe: Bluelustreak is every pirate, its all in her? [10:00pm] Kendra: Best Event Check list site I found. We can't do all of this in a week, but there are some good ideas and things to think about beforehand. [10:01pm] jokeefe: ok, great [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: Hand holding is appreciated [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: I will take a look at that. [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: Kendra! [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: Check your email a lot this week, OK? [10:02pm] Bluelustreak: Or I will call you. [10:02pm] jokeefe: thanks, Kendra [10:02pm] Bluelustreak: for hand holding... [10:02pm] Bluelustreak: (I wish Kendra was HERE) [10:02pm] jokeefe: Ok, anything folks want to cover since we are at time? [10:02pm] Bluelustreak: There was something... [10:02pm] Bluelustreak: one sec [10:03pm] jokeefe: we all do, Bluelustreak [10:03pm] Bluelustreak: After the event I want to consider challenging the campaign finance laws. [10:03pm] Bluelustreak: We need some kind of "affirmative action" [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: Smaller businesses get breaks [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: why not smaller parties? [10:04pm] noe: I like the way you think. [10:04pm] jokeefe: sure lets talk after it [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: Smaller businesses exempt form ACA [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: from [10:05pm] Bluelustreak: Ok something to think about. Jamie check your email, sent you one last thing [10:05pm] jokeefe: ok [10:05pm] • srevilak just invited IWW [10:05pm] Bluelustreak: YAY! [10:05pm] jokeefe: anything else? [10:05pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak [10:05pm] Bluelustreak: OK if I dont shower soon I am going to smack someone [10:05pm] Kendra: Thanks Steve [10:05pm] Bluelustreak: So I am off! [10:05pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn? [10:05pm] Bluelustreak: 2nd [10:05pm] noe: Second! [10:06pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [10:06pm] jokeefe: aye [10:06pm] Bluelustreak: aye [10:06pm] srevilak: aye [10:06pm] Kendra: Aye [10:06pm] Bluelustreak: gnight ppl! [10:06pm] Bluelustreak: <3 [10:06pm] Kendra: nite all [10:06pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:06pm] jokeefe: good night [10:06pm] Joe: goodnight [10:06pm] noe: night!