May 2nd, 2017 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Projects On Hold For the Moment
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
- Results of the PirateCon discussion
- Need to get Loomio up so people can discuss
- Add items that have no opposition?
- September meeting to adopt final platform for 2018 elections? Perhaps in Worcester? Worcester public library is open on weekends at the moment.
- Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks
Projects On Hold For the Moment
Local Surveillance Ordinances
Message board application
CCTV Camera Map
Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.
- 5/5, 5-7pm, LGBT-focused Cryptoparty, Make Shift Boston, 549 Columbus Ave, Boston
- 5/6-7, 9am-5:30pm, MassAlliance Grassroots Campaign Training, Greater Boston
- 5/9, Massachusetts Pirate Party 7th Anniversary
- 5/14-21, Together Boston, Cambridge
- 5/17, Chelsea Manning's Release Date
- 5/20, 10am-4pm, March Against Monsanto
- 5/21, noon-6pm, Together Boston Cryptoparty, Together Boston space, 614 Massachusetts Ave. #203, Central Sq., Cambridge
- 5/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
- 6/3, 5-7pm, LGBT-focused Cryptoparty, Make Shift Boston, 549 Columbus Ave, Boston
- 6/10, Boston Pride Parade, Boston
- 6/21, Edward Snowden's Birthday
- 6/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
See: 2017 calendar
- hvxgr (Tom Rodman, MKE)
- jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
- srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
- G (Garret, Lowell)
- admech (Matt Fealy, Boston)
Campaign workshops. Six people came to last week's workshop in Holyoke.
Conference. Turnout was better than last year. Stream was better. Next year, the first time slot should be "registration and socializing", to avoid delays caused by last minute setup issues.
If we can get enough volunteers, wouldn't hurt to re-think conference roles. For example, someone to do overall event coordination/production (aka, keeping an eye on things as a whole, and delegating work). An ideal volunteer list might include
- A/V tech, streaming
- site setup (chairs, tables, banners, non-tech)
- floater, to help where needed.
Our elections. Didn't have time to hold elections at the conference. Jamie suggests leaving nominations open for two weeks, then voting.
Planks. We brainstormed a bunch of ideas at PirateCon. Steve has written copy, hopes to transcribe by the end of the week. Would like to try loomio to rough out the platform, then meet in Sept (perhaps at Worcester public library) for more platform debate and adoption.
We should hold a fundraiser this year. Freedom rally is in September. We've discussed a Platform building conference in September. That makes September a busy month. Perhaps fundraise in October.
21:03 < jokeefe> agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_2nd,_2017_IRC_Meeting 21:03 < jokeefe> ids 21:03 < papegaai> Title: May 2nd, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA 21:04 < hvxgr> Tom Rodman, MKE 21:04 < admech> Matt Fealy, Boston 21:04 < G> Garret, Lowell 21:04 < jokeefe> Anything to add to the agenda? 21:05 < G> nah 21:05 < admech> no 21:06 < hvxgr> give or point me to a list of major sw tools you use (type of wiki, piratepad etc) ? 21:07 < srevilak> hvxgr: wordpress, mediawiki, piratepad, civicrm on drupal 21:07 < jokeefe> mediawiki, wordpress, piratenpad.de, CiviCRM, so far 21:07 < jokeefe> Review 21:07 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops 21:07 < hvxgr> jokeefe: Thx. 21:08 < jokeefe> The Holyoke event had six people no including srevilak and I 21:08 < jokeefe> Good conversation 21:09 < srevilak> especially considering the monsoon :) 21:09 < jokeefe> Need to simplify my talk at least 21:09 < jokeefe> Anything else to add, srevilak? 21:10 < srevilak> Nothing here. The space was pretty nice, if we ever have cause to use it again 21:10 < jokeefe> agreed 21:10 < jokeefe> Conference 21:10 < srevilak> And I appreciated owen providing dinner, aka donuts 21:11 < jokeefe> Yes, so did the teens we gave some of them too :-) 21:12 < jokeefe> Talks were good, turn out seemed better than last year and the stream was better 21:12 < srevilak> Re conference, 21:12 < srevilak> Next year, we might want to make the first slot "registration and socializing" 21:12 < jokeefe> yes 21:12 < jokeefe> agreed 21:13 < srevilak> that way people have time to wander in, and we have time to deal with last minute setup issues 21:13 < jokeefe> agreed 21:14 < admech> agreed (as one of the people who wandered in late) 21:15 < srevilak> The continual process of learning. Luckily, this is an easy improvement to make 21:15 < jokeefe> other suggestions? 21:16 < hvxgr> Were you able to upload the video or audio somewhere? 21:16 < srevilak> hvxgr: not yet 21:17 < hvxgr> k 21:17 < srevilak> currently copying video off SD cards. For audio, I expect to edit and post ~ 1 panel per week 21:17 < srevilak> will need volunteers to work on video editing 21:18 < srevilak> probably ~ 50GB of raw footage 21:18 < jokeefe> wow 21:18 < hvxgr> My podcatcher sw is following your pc feed -- listened to most of one already. 21:18 < hvxgr> wow 21:19 < srevilak> If we have the volunteers next year, it would be nice to have one person doing only event production 21:20 < jokeefe> or more 21:20 < srevilak> (aka, doing overall coordination) 21:21 < jokeefe> roles for next conference: 21:21 < jokeefe> registration 21:21 < jokeefe> greeting speakers 21:21 < jokeefe> merch 21:21 < jokeefe> streaming/recording (1 or more) 21:21 < jokeefe> MC 21:22 < jokeefe> Site setup (non-tech) 21:22 < srevilak> timekeeper 21:22 < jokeefe> Floater to fill gaps where needed 21:23 < jokeefe> admech / G - other suggestions? 21:24 < G> erm.... no i think you covered it 21:24 < admech> same 21:25 < jokeefe> Moving on to Projects then 21:25 < jokeefe> Our Elections 21:27 < jokeefe> We didn’t have turn to do a valid election, so suggest opening nominations another two weeks, then have a week for people to vote. 21:27 < srevilak> no objections 21:27 < G> sounds good 21:29 < jokeefe> ok, then 21:29 < jokeefe> Planks 21:30 < jokeefe> srevilak, have you had a chance to write up the notes from the discussion? 21:30 < srevilak> No, should be able to do so on Friday 21:30 < srevilak> (have town meeting tomorrow, pride orientation on Thu) 21:30 < jokeefe> Thanks for the reminder on that 21:32 * srevilak finishes duping SD cards. Only 42GB of raw footage :) 21:33 < jokeefe> :-) 21:33 < jokeefe> Do we have a tech meeting scheduled for this month? 21:33 < srevilak> Not yet 21:33 < hvxgr> which server? ( for 42GB? ) 21:34 < srevilak> hvxgr: I don't understand your question 21:34 < hvxgr> Is not storage expensive for virtual hosts? 21:34 < hvxgr> Sorry, no need to go way OT. 21:35 < srevilak> That's raw footage, which will need to be edited. Edited copy will likely end up on youtube and the internet archive 21:35 < hvxgr> archive.org 21:35 < srevilak> yes, archive.org 21:35 < hvxgr> k 21:37 < srevilak> jokeefe: re tech meeting, I'll see what my schedule looks like after town meeting is over 21:37 < srevilak> Hopefully we can do something toward the end of the month 21:37 < srevilak> (or I should say, hopefully I can do something ...) 21:38 < jokeefe> thanks. I’ll work on loomio so we can get working on it 21:38 < hvxgr> Will that tech mtg be on IRC? 21:38 < srevilak> We usually do them in person. Try to make them working sessions 21:39 < jokeefe> Could have monthly meetings to go over platform and also have discussion over loomio or some other on-line platform 21:40 < jokeefe> then have a September meeting to adopt final platform for 2018 elections. Perhaps in Worcester. Worcester public library is open on weekends at the moment. 21:41 < jokeefe> workable? 21:42 < srevilak> Sounds reasonable 21:46 < jokeefe> G? 21:46 < G> aye. sounds good 21:48 < jokeefe> Fundraising/Finances 21:48 < jokeefe> How are we after PirateCon? 21:48 < srevilak> One moment ... 21:49 < srevilak> current bottom line is $1049 21:50 < jokeefe> thanks 21:50 < srevilak> For the year, we've taken in $1135, and spent $1227 21:51 < srevilak> main expenses, were events (410), fundraising (322), and hosting (260) 21:52 < srevilak> Overall, not bad 21:52 < jokeefe> Would be good to have a fundraiser. When? 21:53 < srevilak> Before September platform conference, or after? 21:55 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally is September 21:55 < jokeefe> Perhaps October 21:56 < srevilak> October could work 21:58 < jokeefe> Well lets look for a place to host it 21:58 < srevilak> ok 22:00 < jokeefe> we are pretty much at time, then 22:00 < srevilak> motion to adjourn 22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd Out of meeting conversation 22:03 < jokeefe: all in favor of adjourning? 22:03 < admech: aye 22:03 < G: yup 22:03 < jokeefe: aye 22:03 < hvxgr: aye /thx all, will plan to be back next week.