May 30th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Campaigns Status

Aaron James Campaign

  • 6/14, Fundraiser, Arts at the Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville, Massachusetts 02143

PirateCon 2016

  • Date set at 6/25.
  • Speaker sign up & registration (pay/nonpay) forms and conference page are up.
  • Todo:
    • Get word out
      • Email act-ma and other lists
      • Call supporters
    • Lockdown audio and streaming setup (Meeting 6/5)
    • Flyers
    • Get speakers
    • Finalize schedule
    • Food
    • Plan post-conference activity

Boston Pride Parade

We are marching again this year on 6/11. Got marshals, need:

  • srevilak & jokeefe went to marshal training. Looks like they are staggering the times that groups need to have all their marchers.
  • Sign up form / Facebook event are done
  • jokeefe picked up some rainbow flags. Working on putting the party logo on them.
  • Pirate ship is functional

Upcoming Events

  1. 6/5, 1-3pm, IT/Democracy Meeting, noon-2pm, 111 Sunnyside Ave, Arlington
  2. 6/10, 6pm, Boston Dyke March, Parkman Bandstand, Boston Common, Boston
  3. 6/11, 10am-4pm, Boston Pride Parade, Boston
  4. 6/14, Fundraiser, Arts at the Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville, Massachusetts 02143
  5. 6/25, 10am-6pm, PirateCon 2016
  6. 6/29, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  7. July, WMass Cryptoparty?
  8. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  9. July-Aug Pirate Picnic
  10. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  11. Sep., Freedom Rally
  12. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville

Every Wed., Digital Fourth meeting, noon-1pm, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel

Summary

Aaron James signature handoff went well. We arrived during a rally to support people recovering from opoid addiction. Aaron got a chance to make contact with some people at the rally.

Aaron has a fundraiser on 6/14.

Piratecon schedule. We discuss speakers, schedule, and tech preparation.

Pride parade. jokeefe is working on flags. We'll have an "art day" on Tue June 7th, to work on parade stuff.

Steve talks about a FOIA-related blog post he's working on.

Minutes

 
21:06 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_30th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < srevilak> well, I suppose STFU could mean "scratch the fuzzy
        underbelly"
21:07 < jokeefe> lol
21:07 < srevilak> cat likes a good STFU every now and then
21:07 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:07 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI
21:07 < jokeefe> Review
21:08 < jokeefe> Aaron James signature handoff went well.
21:09 < srevilak> excellent.  I hear greens did one on Fri.  (They have
        two candidates running for state rep)
21:09 < jokeefe> We arrived during a rally for more support for people
        recovering from oxy/heroin adiction
21:09 < srevilak> did aaron get a chance to speak at the rally?
21:11 < jokeefe> No, didn’t feel right since they had a line up already,
        but he did meet people and got some contacts
21:11 < srevilak> that's good
21:11 < jokeefe> Posted some pictures
21:12 < srevilak> saw them, they looked great
21:13 < jokeefe> I didn’t get a chance to attend the Somerville
        Cryptoparty, unfortunately
21:16 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign has a fundraiser on the 14th
21:16 < srevilak> am working on (afordable) housing policy ideas
21:16 < jokeefe> cool
21:16 < jokeefe> thank you
21:18 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2016 - working on schedule
        https://calc.mayfirst.org/mi62xx5j80
21:18 < srevilak> Terra and Paul Paradise were both interested in doing
30 min, rather than 60 min
21:19 < jokeefe> The Dark Web as a panel?
21:19 < Kendra> If I wanted to speak on that ddos article is there an
        online application for speakers or something?
21:19 < Kendra> It kind of ties in to the dark web
21:20 < srevilak> That could be pretty interesting
21:20 < Kendra> What I actually wrote vs what I shared with you was a
        lot longer, but it was butchered
21:21 < Kendra> The APC got ddos'ed after speaking up after the Gamer
        Gate situation
21:21 < srevilak> interesting
21:21 < srevilak> didn't realize that
21:21 < jokeefe> APC?
21:21 < srevilak> APC = association for progressive communications
21:22 < Kendra> Association for Progressive Communications is an
        organization out of Montreal that has asked me to do some writing on
        tech activism
21:22 < srevilak> https://www.apc.org/
21:22 < jokeefe> thanks
21:22 < srevilak> Non-profit that wants everyone to have access to a
        free and open internet
21:23 < Kendra> they have a campaign call Take Back the Tech focused on
        education around violence against women (and everyone really) and human
        trafficking online
21:23 < Kendra> It think they are funded by the United Nations on
        some level
21:24 < jokeefe> wonder if anyone from the torist is local
21:24 < jokeefe> Adding DDos to the Dark Web discussion is appropriate
21:25 < Kendra> There have been a lot of attacks from both sides of
        the political spectrum, so there is a lot to discuss, and it is pretty
        interesting.
21:25  * srevilak annotates spreadsheet
21:25 < Kendra> I bought a ticket for June 20 to head that way for about
        a week, so I will be be in town
21:25 < srevilak> excellent
21:28 < jokeefe> Lets confirm the schedule this week.
21:28 < Kendra> More importantly that article is about deflect.ca
        which is service offered to progressive organizations that let't them
        put their websites behind a series of vps servers once a ddos starts,
        which filters out some of the malicious traffic
21:29 < jokeefe> Maya Shaffer is confirmed for 5pm on FOIA reporting
21:33 < srevilak> On tech side, hoping to have a little icecast server
        up for streaming tests
21:33 < jokeefe> b4 IT meeting?
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes
21:34 < jokeefe> great
21:35 < jokeefe> srevilak - would you contact John Minsion about Cannabis
        legalization?
21:35 < srevilak> sure, will do that tomorrow
21:36 < Kendra> I was going to mention that I know a few people who
        are licensed caregivers here and there are some interesting regulations
        being passed by the city around limiting the number of dispensaries and
        increasing taxes, of course
21:36 < srevilak> arlington has been having some interesting talks about
        dispensaries as well
21:37 < jokeefe> Kendra, would you ask if any of them would be willing
        to speak about their experiences?
21:38 < Kendra> My mother's friend is a caregiver and lawyer, so i will
        ask her, she might do a web cam, but no guarantees
21:38 < jokeefe> Might also be good to get the perspective of people
        who are purchasing medical cannabis
21:38 < Kendra> She is well versed on the legal side
21:39 < Kendra> It is basically hardly policed right now, but the laws
        are getting more stringent
21:39 < jokeefe> ok, in person would be better
21:39 < Kendra> Yeah, i doubt whe would come out there, though she did
        go to Wellsley
21:39 < Kendra> I'll ask
21:39 < jokeefe> thank you
21:41 < jokeefe> Boston Pride Parade
21:42 < jokeefe> working on flags
21:42 < srevilak> Do we need to schedule an `art' day?
21:44 < jokeefe> sure
21:45 < jokeefe> MTTh would be best for me
21:45 < jokeefe> :-)
21:46 < srevilak> T, Th are okay with me
21:47 < jokeefe> Earlier rather than later?
21:47 < srevilak> well, we have this week or next week.  Perhaps early
        next week?
21:49 < jokeefe> Tu next week?
21:49 < srevilak> June 7th?  Sure
21:50 < jokeefe> Suggestions where?
21:51 < jokeefe> I have a back yard
21:51 < jokeefe> can do it here
21:51 < srevilak> I nominate you :)
21:51 < jokeefe> lol
21:51 < jokeefe> I accept
21:52 < jokeefe> I better get the emails out
21:52 < jokeefe> other topics?
21:53 < srevilak> one FYI - I have a FOIA post pending.  I asked the ODNI
        for their classification guidelines and got ~ 100 pages of responsive
        documents
21:53 < srevilak> it's interesting stuff
21:53 < srevilak> Hope to get that done during the next week
21:54 < jokeefe> Cool, in paper or pdf?
21:54 < srevilak> then sent paper, but I have an OCR scanner
21:55 < jokeefe> great, are you posting through muckrock?
21:55 < srevilak> no, this is a request I submitted back in 2014
21:55 < srevilak> Just me
21:56 < jokeefe> Is your version newer than this one
        http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/intel/odni-cg.pdf ?
21:56 < jokeefe> would be interesting to see a diff, if soo
21:56 < jokeefe> so
21:57 < srevilak> no, that's the one I got.  Note that ODNI had to
        declassify it
21:57 < jokeefe> cool
21:57 < srevilak>
        https://www.dni.gov/index.php/about-this-site/foia/read-released-records
21:57 < srevilak> Look for documents released on 3/16/2016
21:57 < jokeefe> wonder if the redactions are the same
21:58 < jokeefe> should be
21:58 < srevilak> the fas version has the same release date (mar 16)
21:59 < srevilak> Also noteworthy is
21:59 < srevilak>
        https://www.dni.gov/index.php/intelligence-community/ic-policies-reports/intelligence-community-directives
22:00 < srevilak> I scanned my pdfs at a higher resolution; bigger files,
        but easier to read
22:00 < jokeefe> hmmm … ICD 702 - Technical Surveillance Countermeasures
22:00 < jokeefe> thanks
22:00 < jokeefe> anything else?
22:00 < srevilak> yeah, there's lots of neat stuff in there.
22:00 < srevilak> nothing else from me
22:01 < jokeefe> anything you want to add Kendra?
22:02 < Kendra> No, I am about to wind down for the night
22:02 < Kendra> motion to adjourn
22:02 < srevilak> second
22:02 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:02 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:02 < srevilak> all in favor
22:02 < jokeefe> aye
22:02 < srevilak> aye
22:02 < Kendra> aye
22:02 < Kendra> nite
22:02 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:02 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:02 < jokeefe> night
22:02 < jokeefe> thank you