November 16th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Decisions

  • H.2169 – An Act assuring municipal control of military equipment procurement by local law enforcement

Upcoming Events

Boston Anarchist Bookfair - Planning Pad

Campaigns Status

2016 Campaigns & Policies Update

Thoughts on 11/15 Meeting Notes?

Paris Attack Statement

With attempts to castigate encryption due to the Paris Attack, among other reasons, it would be good to have a statement up.

MAAPL form update (srevilak)

H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production Subsidy

Will have it up this week (jokeefe)

PirateCon 2015 Videos (jokeefe)

Ordered them in ease of processing / priority:

  1. Building 3rd party coalitions
  2. Lightning talks
  3. Keynote: How we won Net Neutrality
  4. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and you
  5. Rethinking the City
  6. Income Inequality

Newsletter (Kendra)

  • Design & Feedback
  • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
    • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
    • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
    • Decide on the print run (?)
  • Distribute

Tech

see for priorities

  • Bitcoin + Credit card gateway in CiviCRM (srevilak, js0000, Kendra)
  • Improve UI navigation of wiki & expose more wiki bits on blog (Noe, jokeefe)
  • Allow distributed organizing on CiviCRM (and pointers to get started) (Kendra, srevilak, Chris, jokeefe)
  • js0000 and jokeefe will work on building a tool to manage twitter:
  • Forum (or needed now that lists are publicized?)

Administrative

  • Media
    • Updated media list (noe)
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
  • Blog posts
    • Local/regional contacts (jokeefe) - Regional page up. Working on local pages.
  • Materials

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.

Helping with BINJ CCTV camera mapping project

Looking for someone to work on this.

Upcoming Events

  1. 11/21, 9am-5:30pm, Building Sustainable Security, Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall
  2. 11/21-22, 10am-6pm, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George Sherman Student Center, Boston University
  3. 11/25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, Somerville
  4. 12/6, 3-5pm, 2016 Campaign Planning Meeting, Pizzeria Regina, 353 Cambridge St, Allston
  5. Dec. IT Meeting?
  6. 12/30, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, west of the Alewife)
  • aquaticonions (Eli Haber, Lexington)
  • Kendra (Kendra In Highland Park MI)

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

We discuss whether to endorse H2169, An Act assuring municipal control of military equipment procurement by local law enforcement. Vote to endorse passes, 5-0.

Boston Anarchist Bookfair.

Minutes

 
20:57 < Bluestreak> ahoy
20:57 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:00 < jokeefe> ahoy aquaticonions
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_16th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < aquaticonions> ahoy
21:00 < aquaticonions> Eli Haber, Lexington
21:00 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, west of the Alewife
21:02 < jokeefe> Review & Decisions
21:02 < jokeefe> H.2169 – An Act assuring municipal control of military
        equipment procurement by local law enforcement
21:02 < jokeefe> https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H2169
21:03 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:04 < jokeefe> “Notwithstanding any general or special law to the
        contrary, no police or fire department in any city or town may apply
        to the United States Department of Homeland Security, the Department
        of Defense or the Department of Justice or any other body or agency
        to procure or accept as gifts any aircraft, including unmanned aerial
        vehicles, armored vehicles, bayonets, bombs, directed-energy weapons,
        grenade launchers,
21:04 < jokeefe> international mobile subscriber identity catchers,
        launch vehicles, mines, missiles, radioactive or nuclear weapons, rockets,
        silencers, torpedoes, toxicological agents, including chemical agents,
        biological agents, and associated equipment, or ultrasonic devices used
        for crowd dispersal without the prior authorization of the mayor and
        city council, in a city, or the board of selectmen, town meeting or
        other govern
21:04 < jokeefe> body, in a town."
21:05 < jokeefe> It is pretty short
21:05 < jokeefe> Comments?
21:05 < srevilak> I chuckled at the text of H2169.  Either Denise has
        a sense of humor, or her legal staff is quite thorough
21:05 < srevilak> No nuclear weapons for you, Weymouth!
21:05 < jokeefe> Think that came from elsewhere
21:07 < jokeefe> unmanned aerial vehicles, armored vehicles, international
        mobile subscriber identity catchers, ultrasonic devices used for crowd
        dispersal
21:08 < jokeefe> doesn’t ban automatic weapons, though
21:09 < jokeefe> any comments?
21:09 < Bluestreak> I don’t have a problem with police having automatic
        weapons.
21:10 < srevilak> I'm in favor of endorsing
21:11 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:11 < jokeefe> ok, then.  all in favor of endorsing?
21:11 < srevilak> aye
21:11 < aquaticonions> aye
21:12 < Bluestreak> aye
21:12 < Kendra> Hi All, Kendra In Highland Park MI
21:12 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:13 < jokeefe> voting on endorsing H.2169 – An Act assuring municipal
        control of military equipment procurement by local law enforcement
21:13 < jokeefe> https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H2169
21:13 < jokeefe> aye
21:13 < jokeefe> Any opposed, say nay
21:15 < Kendra> aye
21:15 < jokeefe> Motion passes
21:16 < jokeefe> Boston Anarchist Bookfair this weekend -
        https://piratenpad.de/p/BAB2015
21:16 < jokeefe> … to sort out details - we have a table
21:17 < jokeefe> srevilak, have you heard about the talk?
21:17 < srevilak> jokeefe: no, haven't heard anything yet
21:18 < Kendra> I am uploading what I have tonight before it turns into
        a novel, adding picture s right now.  I will put it on the wiki before
        the meeting is done
21:18 < Bluestreak> This is the newsletter?
21:19 < Bluestreak> That would be great to have for the bookfair!
21:19 < jokeefe> How many pages?
21:20 < Kendra> at the moment 20, but feel free to edit
21:20 < Kendra> 10 stapled, sorry,
21:20 < jokeefe> Is there a pdf of Halley’s zine?
21:21 < jokeefe> I have one that I can get photocopied if need be
21:21 < Kendra> Maybe email her and ask for a copy, I expect she will
        be attending that
21:21 < Kendra> If in town
21:24 < jokeefe> she will be, but for another group, IIRC.
21:25 < jokeefe> Well update the pad if you have anything to add
21:25 < jokeefe> Next up: Campaigns Status
21:25 < jokeefe> We had a good 2016 Campaigns & Policies Update
21:25 < jokeefe> meeting
21:25 < jokeefe> Notes at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_15th,_2015_Campaign_Planning_Meeting
21:26 < jokeefe> Meetings on the 6th and 19th
21:27 < jokeefe> Some good campaign issue ideas
21:27 < jokeefe> and task list
21:28 < jokeefe> If there are ask task you can help with, either add
        your name to wiki or email the list
21:29 < jokeefe> comments?
21:29 < Bluestreak> Looking ahead to regional...
21:29 < Bluestreak> Framingham might be a good place to meet
21:29 < Bluestreak> or Natick
21:29 < Bluestreak> I can think of a couple of good spaces.
21:30 < jokeefe> cool
21:30 < Bluestreak> I think it was Eli who was talking about a speaking
        event Lessig was doing on the 23rd
21:30 < Bluestreak> still think we should ask him to run.
21:31 < jokeefe> you can ask him now
21:31 < Bluestreak> if I can get my butt out to the thing
21:31 < jokeefe> what is the even aquaticonions
21:31 < jokeefe> ?
21:31 < aquaticonions> Yeah, there's something at Harvard he's doing. You
        need to RSVP, and I don't know if there's still space
21:31 < jokeefe> event
21:32 < Bluestreak> Oh you aren’t going, Eli?
21:32 < aquaticonions> I RSVPed, so I hopefully am
21:32 < Bluestreak> Awesome.
21:32 < aquaticonions> but I'll be getting back from another statethat
        same day
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks
21:32 < aquaticonions> So I'm not 100%
21:32 < Bluestreak> OK I hear you
21:32 < Bluestreak> Im not 100% either ;-)
21:33 < Bluestreak> so the 23rd is … monday?
21:33 < aquaticonions> yeah
21:34 < Bluestreak> IDK, I will try.
21:34 < Bluestreak> oh
21:34 < jokeefe> is there a link?
21:34 < Bluestreak> link to RSVP aquaticonions?
21:34 < Bluestreak> lol
21:35 < aquaticonions> getting it now
21:35 < jokeefe> thanks
21:35 < aquaticonions>
        http://www.evite.com/event/0273EWDLVEBMFMAWAEPFQ7O46L75LQ?utm_source=NA&utm_medium=sharable_invite&utm_campaign=send_sharable_link
21:36 < jokeefe> thanks
21:36 < jokeefe> Paris Attack Statement -
        https://piratenpad.de/p/ParisAttackStatement
21:37 < jokeefe> I put down some possible things to include.  LIke the
        Pirate Party Dormund’s image
21:37 < Bluestreak>
        http://www.wired.com/2015/11/paris-attacks-cia-director-john-brennan-what-he-gets-wrong-about-encryption-backdoors/
21:38 < srevilak> I started writing something about Paris, but it's more
        op-ed than position statement
21:38 < jokeefe> what were you going to cover?
21:39 < srevilak> So far, I have a  lot about mass shootings in the
        united states
21:39 < srevilak> Gun homicide rates in different countries
21:39 < srevilak> And the way we paint different shooters.
21:39 < Kendra> It is intersting to compare teh per capita rates around
        the world
21:40 < Kendra> Also interesting comparison between school shooting and
        mass murders and these recent tactics, obvious correlations
21:40 < srevilak> The unfinished parts will explore "what is terrorism",
        along with opinions on what we can, and cannot do about it
21:40 < Bluestreak> US mass shootings are alos terrorism
21:40 < srevilak> Then finally, I'll go into 9/11 and "connecting dots"
21:41 < Kendra> Same frustrations coming out in different ways
21:42 < Bluestreak> added to your pad jokeefe
21:42 < jokeefe> thanks
21:42 < Bluestreak> Gun control is so strict in Paris.
21:42 < srevilak> No objections to a more position-oriented statement
        though
21:43 < srevilak> I'm just warning y'all :)
21:43 < Bluestreak> Just write what strikes you most
21:43 < jokeefe> well the pad exists.  will post the link to the list
        and see what people add
21:43 < Bluestreak> Not happy about the refugee stance. So not afraid
        of Syrians
21:44 < Kendra> I think there is no point in having a platform if you
        do not have strong positions
21:44 < jokeefe> agreed
21:44 < Kendra> My mother just stopped ranting about this about half an
        hour ago, it's an emotional time
21:45 < Kendra> But I am about to upload this newsletter, so if we want
        to add that op ed let me know by Wednesday
21:45 < Bluestreak> Luckily my parents didn’t want to talk politics
21:45 < Bluestreak> when they last visited on Sunday
21:46 < jokeefe> MAAPL form update - how goes it srevilak?
21:48 < srevilak> goes okay.  Spent sunday evening reverse-engineering
        webform_civicrm's database interaction, and figuring out
21:48 < Bluestreak> Guys… I am barely awake...
21:48 < Bluestreak> I’m going to go a little early
21:48 < srevilak> how to incorporate several template pages into a
        CiviCRM page controller class
21:49 < Bluestreak> See y’all this weekend, I hope.
21:49 < srevilak> Heh, soon as I start talking tech, Bluestreak nods
        off :)
21:49 < Bluestreak> lol
21:49 < Bluestreak> night
21:50 < jokeefe> I will be working on the H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game
        Production Subsidy petition this week and will get it up
21:51 < aquaticonions> My house's wifi is dying a slow, painful death
        so I'm afraid I'll have to say goodbye too
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak
21:51 < jokeefe> That is all I have.  Anything else?
21:51 < aquaticonions> adios amigos
21:51 < jokeefe> take care
21:51 < Kendra> Newsletter is uploading to wiki in pdf form, I can sent
        the sla file as well.
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks
21:51 < Kendra> That's all I got
21:52 < jokeefe> Kendra, would you send out the version you saved it as?
21:52 < Kendra> Oh, are we trying to go the the HOPE conf next summer
21:52 < jokeefe> I am hoping to
21:54 < srevilak> I got logistics about the Surveillance Panel happening
        tomorrow night
21:54 < srevilak> long bike ride, but will try to make it
21:54 < Kendra> I am uploading the .sla file to the wiki, it might be
        too big to email
21:54 < Kendra> Where is the surveillance panel?
21:55 < srevilak> Near Dudley Square
21:55 < jokeefe> https://www.facebook.com/events/1123180467715807/
21:55 < Kendra> Yeah that's a hike after work
21:55 < jokeefe> Doubt I will make it, but if my family plans change,
        I will head over
21:56 < jokeefe> Motion to adjourn?
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 < Kendra> aye, nite all
21:56 < jokeefe> aye
21:56 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:57 < jokeefe> srevilak, will you post the transcript?
21:57 < srevilak> jokeefe: will do
21:57 < jokeefe> thanks