October 21st, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Party Conference

Suggest paying $60 to meet.coop for a month of Level 3 access which gives us up to 50 simultaneous users using Big Blue Button.


Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Work continues on streaming options. Set goal of have options set up by next meeting.

Meeting Minutes

Next one set for for 10/24, 11am-1pm

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

Party Conference

  • Emailing list about schedule
  • Asking members for topics
  • Setting up sign up sheet
  • Updating conference page
  • Posting on blog
  • Dividing up the platform

Surveillance Mapping Event

  • Come up with a how to instructions
    • Paper - done
    • iPhone - done
    • Android
  • Come up with how to videos
  • Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th - done
  • Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th - done

Nov. Anarchist Book Fair

Dec. 4th Day Against DRM

2021 Boston Pride Festival

  • table booked
  • setup signup sheet
  • Announce
  • Need to purchase insurance
  • Need volunteer sign up form
  • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?


  • Free the Moderna Vaccine
    • Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
    • Planning new event
  • Yes on 1
    • Post on our support for it
    • Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
  • Yes on 2
    • Post reminder of our support for it
    • jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
    • Yard signs available.



  • EARN IT Act
  • PATRIOT Act renewal


  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI
  • Post statement on Archive.org Suit
  • Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
  • Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
  • Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round. - done

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 10/24, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
  • 11/14-15, Party Conference



  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey


Date of party conference set for November 14th-15th.

Pirate News recording set for Sunday, 7pm start, 7:30pm live start. jokeefe will schedule.



[9:08pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_21st,_2020_IRC_Meeting
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:08pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:08pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:09pm] Joe: Nay, I'm pretty boring this week.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Suggest paying $60 to meet.coop for a month of Level 3 access which gives us up to 50 simultaneous users using Big Blue Button.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Easier than setting up and maintaining our own instance.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Will verify we can pay for a month.
[9:10pm] Joe: Sounds good.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: All in favor?
[9:11pm] Joe: Aye
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Aye
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Any opposed?
[9:11pm] Joe: We should have plenty in the account, $60 is not going to make a big dent.
[9:12pm] Joe: Though I am not interested in depleting those funds unless we are actively using the instance.
[9:13pm] Joe: Not when we have a perfectly good Discord server to use.  Or Zoom
[9:13pm] Joe: BASIC
[9:13pm] Joe: Personal Meeting
[9:13pm] Joe: Free
[9:13pm] Joe: Host up to 100 participants
[9:13pm] Joe: 40-minute maximum group meetings
[9:13pm] Joe: Unlimited 1:1 Meetings
[9:13pm] Joe: *Free, forever. No credit cards required'
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Good to know. Agreed. Been there. Try not to do that.
[9:13pm] Joe: That is the basic for zoom, it's free
[9:14pm] jokeefe: This is more secure.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Motion passes then
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter/Podcast
[9:15pm] jokeefe: We are on for 7, live at 7:30pm
[9:15pm] jokeefe: on Sunday
[9:15pm] Joe: Sunday seems to be working for everyone except me. For that last few meetings I have had the little one.
[9:16pm] Joe: May have to be the ghost in the background for a bit.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Sorry
[9:16pm] Joe: I should be able to fully do the backend for you so that you can focus on the meeting content.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:17pm] Joe: I can do this Sunday actually.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: looks like the last one has a large number of views, but mostly down votes
[9:17pm] Joe: Just checked with my partner.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I guess we got a bunch of Trump fans
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Glad to hear it
[9:18pm] Joe: One upvote though
[9:18pm] jokeefe: yes, could use some more I suppose
[9:18pm] Joe: Share with your friends and families.
[9:19pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:19pm] Joe: Best way to get upvotes.
[9:19pm] Malt: Sam capradae Worcester
[9:19pm] Malt: Sorry I'm late
[9:19pm] jokeefe: ahoy Malt
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Confirming Sunday recording
[9:19pm] Joe: 137 views though. 57 more than usual
[9:19pm] Joe: I'll take it.
[9:19pm] Joe: Plus we are up to 109 subs
[9:20pm] Joe: These live vids are much better.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Good to know. Hopefully the older ones are getting some views
[9:21pm] Malt: Cool!
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - meeting Saturday
[9:21pm] Joe: Even with the down votes, it kicked our screen hits to 4.1k
[9:21pm] Malt: Do we get a lot of downvotes?
[9:21pm] Joe: Making it pop up in a lot more people.  115 unique views.
[9:23pm] Joe: The thing is, the average view is 2:47 seconds. We should keep the topics to one or two for the next few videos.
[9:23pm] Joe: We got 3 downvotes to one upvote.
[9:23pm] Malt: Damn 
[9:23pm] Malt: Youtube is rough
[9:23pm] Joe: Thing is we need to share these videos
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Guessing the Hunter Biden bit got some people riled.
[9:24pm] Malt: Lmao good
[9:24pm] Malt: I don't
[9:24pm] Malt: Have the link
[9:24pm] jokeefe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J69ZItmSaGg&t=4s
[9:25pm] Joe: Well, the last one has had 31 views, out of which only 3 people DV
[9:25pm] Joe: Most people were indifferent to vote.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: true
[9:27pm] jokeefe: anyway, we have a tech meeting 11am-1pm
[9:27pm] jokeefe: on Saturday
[9:27pm] Joe: Also, most of them were not subscribers.  This means that we hit a topic of interest.  We should just keep going. Even one more viewer is a win.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:27pm] Joe: When is the PirateBeer?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Friday
[9:28pm] jokeefe: I have to put it on my calendar.
[9:28pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:29pm] Joe: 9pm UTC+02
[9:29pm] Joe: So 5pm our time.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: thanks for the reminder
[9:30pm] Joe: Sorry, make that 4PM est
[9:31pm] Joe: https://www.utctime.net/utc-to-est-converter
[9:31pm] jokeefe: better
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings/Events
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Party Conference
[9:31pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:31pm] Malt: We tend to pick hot topics
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Aye
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Sorry, but I haven’t been able to send the emails or write the posts I said I would.  I plan to have them done by tomorrow. Work is still crazy.
[9:33pm] Joe: I get that.
[9:34pm] Joe: When you can get to it.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Needs to be soon. time marches on.
[9:35pm] Malt: If I can help pls reach out?
[9:35pm] Joe: We do what we can and that's all we can do. Just keep moving forward as best we can.
[9:35pm] Malt: I just need clear instructions. I'm not processing new info these days
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Malt, if you can help with dividing up the platform in to smaller chunks to discuss that would be great
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Ok, will write something up
[9:36pm] Malt: I'm not clear on what that entails
[9:36pm] Malt: But I'll do my best
[9:36pm] jokeefe: I will include that in the email.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Thank you!
[9:37pm] Joe: 1 Platform Topics
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.1 Quality Health care for all including dental and mental health care (expanded medicare for all)
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.2 Education
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.3 Criminal Justice
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.4 No eminent domain for private profit
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.5 Workers Rights
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.6 Public Transportation
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.7 Government Funding and Taxation
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.8 Housing & Homelessness
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.9 Drugs
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.10 National Security
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.11 Data Privacy: Protecting the privacy of the individual, not the state.
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.12 Economy
[9:37pm] Joe: 1.13 Right of Repair/You own what you purchased
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Energy too
[9:37pm] Joe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/2020_Platform_Discussion'
[9:37pm] Joe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/2020_Platform_Discussion
[9:37pm] jokeefe: thanks, Joe
[9:37pm] Joe: <3
[9:38pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Need Environment section
[9:38pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:38pm] Malt: Aaaaaa ok back
[9:38pm] srevilak joined the chat room.
[9:38pm] Joe: I think Thermal energy should be brought as a prime source for our energy needs.
[9:38pm] Joe: Personally.
[9:38pm] srevilak: hi all
[9:38pm] Joe: Ahoy srevilak
[9:39pm] srevilak: $work finished earlier than I expected
[9:39pm] jokeefe: ahoy!
[9:39pm] jokeefe: great
[9:40pm] jokeefe: updated the agenda with the minutes so far: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_21st,_2020_IRC_Meeting
[9:40pm] srevilak: thx
[9:41pm] Malt: Wb
[9:42pm] jokeefe: No word on the anarchist book fair, but the Dec. 4th is Day Against DRM events
[9:42pm] Malt: Oooooo fun
[9:42pm] jokeefe: That is a Friday
[9:42pm] Malt: Tom lehrer just made his stuff public domain
[9:42pm] jokeefe: yeah!
[9:42pm] Malt: Could we do something with that?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: https://tomlehrersongs.com/
[9:43pm] Joe left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[9:43pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: No doubt we could
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Could have a contest
[9:44pm] srevilak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2Ff8H7oVo
[9:45pm] jokeefe: lovely
[9:45pm] Malt: Id like that
[9:45pm] jokeefe: We could always sing covers of the songs
[9:46pm] Malt: I bet Boston would dig that
[9:46pm] Malt: I can do audio
[9:46pm] Malt: If y'all record yourself I can master
[9:46pm] jokeefe: anyone have autotune?
[9:47pm] jokeefe:
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I could certainly use it
[9:47pm] Joe: Autotune would break with my singing, lol
[9:48pm] Joe: Some things are better left unsung, esp by me.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: So many good ones in that list. Smut could be fun
[9:50pm] Malt: Poisoning pidgeons in the park!
[9:50pm] Malt: Lol
[9:50pm] Joe: Yeah. A lot of childhood memories there.
[9:50pm] Malt: Tbh I think being bad at singing will bring more eyeS
[9:51pm] Joe: Not what I want anyone remembering me for. 
[9:51pm] Malt: Fair
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Anything more to add?
[9:52pm] Joe: That's all I have for today.
[9:52pm] Joe: Motion to Adjourn?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:53pm] jokeefe: all in favor
[9:53pm] Joe: Aye
[9:53pm] srevilak: aue
[9:53pm] srevilak: aye
[9:53pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:54pm] Joe: GN everyone!