October 26th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

Decisions

Upcoming Events

  1. 10/28, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts?, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville
  2. Nov., 2016 Campaign Planning Meeting
  3. 11/21, 9am-5:30pm, Building Sustainable Security, Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall
  4. 11/21-22, 10am-6pm, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George Sherman Student Center, Boston University

Campaigns Status

Signature Gathering for PassMass Amendment

Last day is 11/18, but they want them in hand earlier than that. Suggest an election day signature gathering.

2016 Campaigns & Policies Update (jokeefe)

  • Setting up a planning meeting in early November.
  • Write up doc on using git & commenting on & voting on changes.

CISA

  • Blog Updates (jokeefe) - Multiple posted along with email. Warren and Markey both came out against it, but cloture vote was 83-14. Bill will need to be reconciled. Multiple MA house members voted for it, so we can urge people to contact those Reps.

TPP

Entire Mass. delegation is against it. Still need a post asking people to contact the others in New England who voted for it.

MAAPL form (srevilak)

H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production Subsidy

Been busy with CISA. Will get back to this (jokeefe)

Election Bills

Will update the statement we did last time and post/email it (jokeefe)

Other Bills for consideration

Haven't received feedback. Could do a poll. (jokeefe)

PirateCon 2015 Videos (jokeefe)

Ordered them in ease of processing / priority:

  1. Building 3rd party coalitions
  2. Lightning talks
  3. Keynote: How we won Net Neutrality
  4. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and you
  5. Rethinking the City
  6. Income Inequality

Newsletter (Kendra)

  • Design & Feedback
  • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
    • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
    • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
    • Decide on the print run (?)
  • Distribute

Tech

see for priorities

  • Bitcoin + Credit card gateway in CiviCRM (srevilak, js0000, Kendra)
  • Improve UI navigation of wiki & expose more wiki bits on blog (Noe, jokeefe)
  • Allow distributed organizing on CiviCRM (and pointers to get started) (Kendra, srevilak, Chris, jokeefe)
  • js0000 and jokeefe will work on building a tool to manage twitter:
  • Forum (or needed now that lists are publicized?)

Administrative

  • Email blast - Latest announcements
  • Media
    • Updated media list (noe)
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
  • Blog posts
    • Local/regional contacts (jokeefe) - Regional page up. Working on local pages.
  • Materials

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.

Helping with BINJ CCTV camera mapping project

Looking for someone to work on this.

Upcoming Events

  1. 10/28, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts?, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville
  2. Nov., 2016 Campaign Planning Meeting
  3. 11/21, 9am-5:30pm, Building Sustainable Security, Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall
  4. 11/21-22, 10am-6pm, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George Sherman Student Center, Boston University
  5. 11/25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville
  6. Dec., 2016 Campaign Planning Meeting
  7. Dec. IT Meeting?
  8. 12/30, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville ?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Noe (Noelani Kamelmela, Somerville, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • aquaticonions (Eli Haber, Lexington)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, in Michigan)

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Minutes

 
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_26th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:01 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:02 < Kendra> Hi Kendra Moyer, in Michigan
21:02 < Noe> ahoy!  Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA
21:02 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:04 < jokeefe> Anything to add to our agenda?
21:04 < aquaticonions> Eli Haber, Lexington
21:05 < jokeefe> Upcoming Events
21:05 < jokeefe> If you haven’t filled out the survey for the Nov.,
2016 Campaign Planning Meeting, please do
21:05 < Bluestreak> Done
21:06 < jokeefe> Two events at the end of the month:
21:06 < jokeefe> 11/21, 9am-5:30pm, Building Sustainable Security,
        Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall
21:06 < jokeefe> 11/21-22, 10am-6pm, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George
        Sherman Student Center, Boston University
21:07 < jokeefe> Who can be at either?
21:07 < srevilak> Planning to attend anarchist bookfair
21:07 < Bluestreak> Jason and I hope to be at the Sust Sec
21:08 < Bluestreak> thingy
21:08 < Bluestreak> Haven’t got tickets yet, but will get them soon
21:09 < Noe> I can probably go to the anarchist bookfair on the Sunday
        in the afternoon
21:09 < jokeefe> I will be at the Anarchist Bookfair for some of the time.
        If we can get enough people, then we can have a table.
21:10  * srevilak willing to do table time
21:11 < Bluestreak> Our event is more an opportunity to network.
21:11 < Bluestreak> will have flyers.
21:12 < jokeefe> good
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:12 < Noe> sounds good
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks Bluestreak
21:12 < Bluestreak> ppl might want to catch a bite after the fair?
21:12 < Bluestreak> on Sat?
21:12 < jokeefe> please send email to the list
21:13 < jokeefe> Campaigns Status
21:13 < jokeefe> Signature Gathering for PassMass Amendment
21:13 < jokeefe> Noe, srevilak, up for signature gathering on election
        night?
21:13 < Noe> I think that makes a lot of sense!
21:13 < srevilak> Sure
21:14 < srevilak> If we can turn in a total of 100+ signatures, that
        would be great
21:14 < srevilak> (we already have ~ 65)
21:14 < Noe> (woohoo!)
21:14 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak, lets talk off-line see who else we
        can find and pick locations
21:14 < jokeefe> 2016 Campaigns & Policies Update
21:14 < Noe> (those were mostly gathered at freedom rally?)
21:14 < srevilak> noe: yes
21:15 < srevilak> Somerville's election looks like Tue Nov 3rd, yes?
21:15 < jokeefe> At the nov meeting I want to plan out the next 3-6
        months.  mostly build local groups, finding candidates and getting them
        on the ballot
21:16 < jokeefe> wrapped policy up in that since they are related
21:16 < jokeefe> CISA - show isn’t over, but cloture vote isn’t
        favorable.  our Senators came out against at least
21:17 < Bluestreak> It’s been a very long tim since we IPMed
21:17 < Kendra> Market Basket is supposed to be a good spot
21:17 < Noe> Yup, Somerville election is Tue Nov 3rd
21:17 < Kendra> fpr signatures
21:17 < Bluestreak> We had better luck at Hannaford.
21:18 < srevilak> Since Nov 3rd is election, would it be reasonable to
        gather signatures at polling places?
21:18 < Bluestreak> Are we endorsing any candidates?
21:18 < jokeefe> that is the idea
21:18 < jokeefe> no one has asked.
21:19 < jokeefe> Only one I can think of is Nadeem in Cambridge, but
        our plate is pretty full
21:19 < jokeefe> Anyone is willing to lead the CISA effort?  Mostly blog
        posts at this stage.
21:19 < Bluestreak> How hard is a FB post?
21:20 < jokeefe> Endorsements are fine, but it is better if we can put
        people behind it.  And deciding still takes time.
21:21 < Bluestreak> Dropping it
21:22 < jokeefe> TPP - Anyone want to organize opposition to it.
        Mostly focusing on NE since MA delegation is against.
21:23 < jokeefe> MAAPL form - any update srevilak?
21:23 < srevilak> Have list of errata from grace to work on this week
21:23 < Noe> I'm interested in leading the CISA effort, but I'm slammed
        with work/looking for work stuff right now
21:24 < srevilak> Along with narrative generation
21:25 < jokeefe> Noe, lets talk about about how we could divide the
        work offline
21:25 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak
21:25 < jokeefe> going well?
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes going well.  Just lots to do
21:26 < srevilak> Speaking of CISA,
        https://www.youbetrayedus.org/facebook/
21:26 < srevilak> Must be true.  Read it on the internet :)
21:27 < jokeefe> :-)
21:27 < Bluestreak> Went to “like” your post.
21:27 < Bluestreak> :-)
21:27 < Noe> stirring that pot fftf!
21:27 < jokeefe> Well if someone wants to post something about it ...
21:28 < Bluestreak> You mean if someone wants to write something?
21:28 < jokeefe> Yes
21:28 < Bluestreak> Like, Hey, I know it’s pointless to fight it
        anymore....
21:28 < Bluestreak> Because none of y’all show any interest anymore
21:28 < jokeefe> Fight isn’t over
21:28 < Bluestreak> cuz y’all are outraged fatigued...
21:29 < Bluestreak> IK but
21:29 < Bluestreak> I can’t think how to get their attention any other
        way than with snark
21:29 < Bluestreak> The most unrealistic thing about Wlking Dead is:
21:29 < Bluestreak> People can only run from zombies for so long
21:29 < Bluestreak> before resignation sets in
21:30 < Noe> or we could leash the zombie and have it walk behind us?
21:30 < Noe> so many possibilities!
21:30 < Bluestreak> How do you mean?
21:30 < jokeefe> Even if it passes, we still have to say we oppose it
        and will over turn it once in power
21:31 < Bluestreak> Of course… and is there a judicial angle to take?
21:31 < jokeefe> Snark can also be good
21:31 < Bluestreak> Right to Privacy...
21:31 < Kendra> Guy just beat his roommate to death thinking he turned
        into a zombie, watching too much Walking Dead.  But facebook is obviously
        evil. I particularly like the notion of the government digging up dirt
        on your past relationships, it's daytime soap opera level stuff
21:31 < Noe> sorry, referencing the Walking Dead and Michonne who had
        pet walkers
21:31 < Bluestreak> OMG I shouldnt laught at that!
21:32 < Bluestreak> But I DID!
21:32 < Noe> laughing is goooood.  plus, if it makes you laugh, we can
        probably use it as an idea.
21:32 < Noe> Kendra:  brilliant.
21:32 < jokeefe> :-) Moving on … H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production
        Subsidy / Election Bills / Other Bills for consideration - all on my
        plate, would appreciate help
21:33 < Bluestreak> Wait to Kendra’s point:
21:33 < Bluestreak> We just watched V for Vendetta again…
21:33 < Bluestreak> A hypothetical story might be a good idea
21:33 < Bluestreak> imagine your life under CISA
21:34 < jokeefe> Now … with more sex video chats on archive for Dell
        contractors
21:34 < Kendra> Lotta tape to review
21:34 < Bluestreak> The help I can best offer you at this time captain
        is, you toss out some ideas, write just a bit and I will supplement.
21:35 < jokeefe> There are bots for that, take random screen caps to
        give a summary
21:35 < Bluestreak> What you write. Hell if I like where you are going
        I will take over
21:35 < Bluestreak> ?
21:35 < Bluestreak> Answer to what I just said?
21:35 < jokeefe> In the beginning …
21:36 < jokeefe> that enough?  :-_)
21:36 < Bluestreak> Sigh. You just don’t get me.
21:36 < jokeefe> :-)
21:36 < Bluestreak> :-)
21:36 < jokeefe> Going to skip PirateCon 2015 Videos since there is
        nothing to report there
21:37 < Noe> Maybe we should start all posts with In the beginning
        . . . gotta up that wordcount somehow!
21:37 < jokeefe> lol
21:37 < Bluestreak> Wrtiting is hard!
21:37 < jokeefe> Newsletter - any update Kendra?
21:37 < Kendra> No update sorry, just moved.  But maybe we can update
        written articles to a Fall/Winter version is that works
21:38 < Kendra> And add to
21:38 < Kendra> add more stories, events articles
21:38 < jokeefe> sure, would be good to add stuff about the 2016 campaign
21:39 < jokeefe> Tech - on the twitter api - js0000 and I have gone over
        the spec.  He should have time in December
21:40 < Bluestreak> What is that pls?
21:41 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/Twitter_API_design
21:41 < jokeefe> helping manage twitter account
21:42 < Noe> ooooh that looks neat
21:43 < Bluestreak> TY
21:43 < jokeefe> Any other tech updates srevilak?
21:44 < srevilak> Not at the moment, aside from MF/PL member meeting in
        a couple of weeks.
21:44 < srevilak> Major system upgrades planned for Dec 5th
21:44 < Kendra> You going out there?
21:44 < jokeefe> cool
21:44 < srevilak> Kendra: yes
21:45 < srevilak> Dec 5th upgrade shouldn't be too disruptive for us.
        Reboot is all I expect
21:46 < jokeefe> good
21:46 < Bluestreak> We will be busy that weekend too...
21:46 < jokeefe> Administrative - igel said he had someone who did
        stickers.  following up with him
21:46 < Bluestreak> 11/6-7
21:46 < Bluestreak> OH!
21:46 < Bluestreak> I can do something!
21:46 < Bluestreak> I can bug Will
21:47 < Bluestreak> Is there something specific about the stickers I
        need to know?
21:48 < jokeefe> thanks! how much they cost.  what sizes, etc.
21:48 < jokeefe> ahoy itspara!
21:49 < Bluestreak> What you want… on them…?
21:49 < jokeefe> A get a warrant sticker for phones/computers would
        be nice
21:49 < jokeefe> a general masspirates sticker would be nice
21:49 < jokeefe> something inexpensive we can give out
21:50 < jokeefe> thans
21:50 < jokeefe> thanks
21:50 < Bluestreak> K
21:50 < jokeefe> other suggestions?
21:50 < Bluestreak> Square? Round?>
21:52 < jokeefe> Square/rectangular
21:52 < Noe> whatever is the cheapest shape?
21:52 < Noe> black and white and orange?
21:52 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:53 < Bluestreak> k
21:53 < jokeefe> Forgot this: BRIC is asking for extra $2.25m from the
        Mass. budget.  Oppose?
21:53 < srevilak> Oppose
21:53 < Kendra> thumbs down
21:53 < Noe> Oppose.
21:54 < jokeefe> other opinions?
21:54 < Bluestreak> Emailed Will done
21:54 < jokeefe> thanks
21:55 < Bluestreak> ask for the money to go to body cams
21:55 < Kendra> I am wondering what they need it for and who it supposed
        to pay for it.
21:55 < jokeefe> more useless surveillance that we pay for
21:55 < Noe> can we move that money to the T?  the T could use it.
21:56 < jokeefe> not hearing anyone for it, so we oppose it
21:56 < Bluestreak> “Spilka is sympathetic - but it means that any calls
        on the extra $2.25m for BRIC should now be routed only to those two. “
21:56 < jokeefe> “MA House and Senate are in a little bit of a panic
        to get a supplemental budget passed by Halloween”
21:56 < Bluestreak> Spilka is my S senator
21:57 < Bluestreak> I’ll call her
21:57 < jokeefe> Leverage! Anyone want to write the blog post?
21:57 < Bluestreak> and say....
21:57 < Kendra> Aye, oppose
21:57 < Bluestreak> we oppose the increase unless it goes to body cams?
21:57 < Bluestreak> or we plain oppose?
21:57 < jokeefe> plain oppose
21:58 < Bluestreak> and am I calling as citizen?
21:58 < jokeefe> Need a body cams bill
21:58 < Bluestreak> or rep of MPP?
21:58 < jokeefe> both
21:58 < jokeefe> the key thing is to get others to call as well
21:58 < Bluestreak> OK grounds: Can’t afford it?
21:59 < Bluestreak> I can count on one neighbor maybe
21:59 < jokeefe> how about: cannot afford wasting money
21:59 < Bluestreak> we have enough police already
21:59 < Bluestreak> crime is down
21:59 < srevilak> we have more important things to spend money on
21:59 < Bluestreak> terroism is down
21:59 < srevilak> Like road repair, education
21:59 < Bluestreak> education?
21:59 < Bluestreak> beat me to it
21:59 < jokeefe> MBTA
21:59 < Bluestreak> yes!
22:00 < jokeefe> so you are writing this, Bluestreak?
22:00 < Bluestreak> Calling
22:00 < Bluestreak> said I woudl call
22:00 < Bluestreak> will write a little something
22:00 < Bluestreak> :-P
22:00 < srevilak> thx Bluestreak
22:00 < Bluestreak> I slept all day yeaterday you know
22:00 < jokeefe> little is good.  you have good source material from
        our friend.  thanks!
22:00 < Bluestreak> zzzzz
22:01 < jokeefe> sounds lovely
22:01 < srevilak> speaking of sleep, we're at time
22:01 < Bluestreak> grass is always greener
22:01 < jokeefe> Re: Helping with BINJ CCTV camera mapping project -
        no update
22:01 < jokeefe> we are
22:01 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:01 < Bluestreak> did you map that cam in the alley?
22:01 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:01 < jokeefe> nope
22:01 < jokeefe> put a pic up
22:01 < srevilak> aye, motion to adjounr
22:01 < jokeefe> 2nd?
22:01 < srevilak> aye, motion to adjourn
22:01 < Kendra> aye
22:01 < Kendra> nite all
22:01 < jokeefe> aye
22:01 < Bluestreak> aye
22:01 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:01 < Noe> aye
22:02 < Bluestreak> sleep well ty steve
22:02 < Noe> nite!