October 5th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

Decisions

Upcoming Events

Task Status

  • PirateCon 2015 Videos
    • Evan Greer talk (Bluestreak)
  • MAAPL form (srevilak)
  • Newsletter (Kendra, paper_waves, ?)
    • Design & Feedback
    • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
      • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
      • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
      • Decide on the print run (?)
    • Distribute
  • Media
    • Updated media list (noe)
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
    • Dec. - ?
  • Blog posts
    • Local/regional contacts (jokeefe) - Regional page up. Working on local pages.
    • TPP update (jokeefe)
    • CISA update (jokeefe)
  • Tech - see for priorities
    • Bitcoin + Credit card gateway in CiviCRM (srevilak, js0000, Kendra)
    • Improve UI navigation of wiki & expose more wiki bits on blog (Noe, jokeefe)
    • Allow distributed organizing on CiviCRM (and pointers to get started) (Kendra, srevilak, Chris, jokeefe)
    • js0000 and jokeefe will work on building a tool to manage twitter:
    • Forum (or needed now that lists are publicized?)
  • Materials
  • Policies update (jokeefe)
    • Check on the state of them
    • Write up doc on using git & commenting on & voting on changes.

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.


Upcoming Events

  1. 10/13, Kill all DRM in the world forever, within a decade, conversation with Cory Doctorow, Berkman Center at Harvard University, Harvard Law School campus, Wasserstein Hall, Milstein West A
  2. 10/13, 6:30-8pm, The Remote-Controlled Society, Roundtable with Cory Doctorow and others, C. Walsh Theater, Suffolk University, Boston
  3. 10/28, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts?, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville
  4. Nov. event?
  5. 11/25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville
  6. Dec. event?
  7. 12/30, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville ?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • Bluestreak
  • igel
  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • Kendra
  • bestpiggy

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Minutes

 
21:07 < jokeefe: Agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_5th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:07 < jokeefe: ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < igel: william fleurant, arlington ma
21:08 < Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero, Medway
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy srevilak, just doing ids
21:09 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, arlington, MA
21:09 < jokeefe> Reviews
21:09 < jokeefe> Mesh Networking Cryptoparty - Went well aside from
        needing to move to a new location suddenly.
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:10 < Kendra> Hi All, Kendra in Michigan
21:10 < jokeefe> looks like we can be at P&C next time.  created email
        list, and have a few more sign ups.
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy bestpiggy
21:11 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_5th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:11 < bestpiggy> hey sorry Im late!
21:11 < jokeefe> Its Fall :-)
21:11 < Bluestreak> Wathcing Snowden talk about SMURFS
21:11 < jokeefe> o h k
21:12 < jokeefe> We had about a dozen people at the cryptoparty
21:12 < Bluestreak> Gregg Housh was talking about this 2 years ago
21:12 < Bluestreak> oops
21:12 < Bluestreak> How can the loss of the space be avoided in future
21:13 < Bluestreak> ?
21:13 < igel> Ahhh
21:13 < srevilak> We hope their basement doesn't flood again
21:13 < igel> sorry was emailin -- yeah they had a flood
21:13 < Bluestreak> Is that what the problem was?
21:14 < jokeefe> Mostly
21:14 < igel> yeah they cleaned up for hours and wanted to head out.. i
        dont blame em
21:14 < jokeefe> All is resolved now, but for the weather
21:14 < Bluestreak> Still raining in South Carolina
21:15 < jokeefe> srevilak, how did FSF 30th Anniversary Celebration go?
21:16 < srevilak> Went well.  Zak and I gave a talk on encryption
        and GnuPG
21:16 < srevilak> We opened with some background information
21:16 < srevilak> A few people had laptops and wanted to install gnupg
21:16 < srevilak> I took them aside for installations.  Zak held a
        roundtable discussion
21:17 < jokeefe> how was the rest of the conference?
21:17 < srevilak> Slides at
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/images/d/d5/Gnupg-fsf-30th.pdf
21:18 < srevilak> There were three presentation slots.  I spent the
        first slot meeting with zak, to organize our presentation
21:18 < srevilak> We were in slot two
21:18 < srevilak> Slot three was Eben Moglen, advocating goals for the
        next 10-15 years of the FSF
21:19 < srevilak> Big emphasis on software that respects your rights
        (and not some corporations goals, whatever they happen to be)
21:20 < jokeefe> Any recordings?
21:20 < srevilak> All of the talks were streamed.  Don't know if they'll
        be available for later viewing
21:21 < igel> coo
21:22 < Bluestreak> I would like to take a look at those. Please tell
        us if they get posted?
21:22 < srevilak> will do
21:22 < jokeefe> thanks
21:23 < jokeefe> What can we learn from it for PirateCon?
21:23 < srevilak> Direct Boxes are important
21:23 < srevilak> (for avoiding ground loops)
21:24 < jokeefe> Direct Boxes?
21:24 < srevilak> Hmm, now that I think of it - Maybe only Eben's talk,
        and the evening party were streamed
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: converts unbalance audio signal (from a laptop)
        to balanced audio (for a PA system).  Incorporates a transformer or an
        op amp + inverter to avoid ground noise
21:25 < jokeefe> having had to remove distortion in the videos, that
        would help
21:26 < srevilak> That's on my list of things to bring next year
21:27 < srevilak> Their video cameras were all running free software.
        Interested in finding out what models they were using, and how/if they
        modded them
21:27 < Bluestreak> How about practicing?
21:27 < Bluestreak> At an upcoming cryptoparty?
21:27 < jokeefe> That is always a good idea
21:27 < Bluestreak> Or at an Arisia panel?
21:27 < Bluestreak> Practice makes perfect!
21:28 < jokeefe> aye
21:28 < jokeefe> Moving on to Wikileaks Birthday Party
21:28 < srevilak> We came, we sang, we ate cake
21:28 < jokeefe> We got attention off and on-line, hopefully some
        donations for wikileaks as well
21:30 < jokeefe> Lots of attention for this tweet -
        https://twitter.com/masspirates/status/650717741377290240
21:31 < Bluestreak> Yes, I saw!
21:31 < Bluestreak> My lovely buttons went to waste!
21:31 < Bluestreak> :-(
21:31 < igel> yea lotta people smiling and giving nods, an dwaving
21:31 < Bluestreak> They sit, unadopted by my front door!
21:32 < jokeefe> People like buttons.  they will not go to waste.
21:34 < jokeefe> There are two upcoming events on 10/13 -  Kill all DRM
        in the world forever, within a decade & The Remote-Controlled Society
21:35 < jokeefe> Is anyone going to The Remote-Controlled Society besides
        me and Bluestreak?
21:35 < Bluestreak> And Jason
21:37 < jokeefe> Well anyhow, will have some people to hand out fliers
        and buttons.
21:37 < igel> no plans no
21:38 < Bluestreak> Some one should ping Lauren.
21:38 < Bluestreak> She likes Cory
21:38 < srevilak> sorry, won't be able to make it on 13th
21:38 < Bluestreak> She’s still a Pirate.
21:38 < Bluestreak> Sorry to hear that, Steve.
21:39 < jokeefe> Will drop her a line
21:40 < Bluestreak> She has been a regular on the Young Jurks
21:41 < jokeefe> Task Status
21:41 < jokeefe> Focused on the two cryptoparties and have been able to
        work on other tasks
21:42 < jokeefe> I mean parties
21:43 < jokeefe> srevilak, MAAPL work going well?
21:43 < srevilak> yes.
21:44 < Kendra> I might be in town for the luncheon at Berkmann with
        cory doctorow
21:44 < srevilak> Waiting for grace to develop statement of fact
        narratives.  In the interim, I want to start coding some of the back-end
        pieces to make that happen
21:44 < jokeefe> cool
21:44 < srevilak> (which I can do without having the full narative)
21:44 < Kendra> Thanks for doing that
21:45 < srevilak> Drupal fun :)
21:46 < igel> regardin stickers/flyers -- i think we saw some previews
        at last cryptoparty, and got pricing for more stickers..
21:47 < jokeefe> oh good, can you post the prices or do you want to
        email them to the list?
21:47 < igel> i will try to get the flyer scanned/sent out.. was designed
        pretty well eh?
21:48 < igel> i'll post, once final
21:49 < Bluestreak> Jason just suggested I make a Remote Controlled
        Society FB event
21:50 < Bluestreak> So he can use it to invite his friends.
21:50 < jokeefe> sure
21:50 < jokeefe> not sure I saw the sticker design, unfortunately, igel
21:51 < igel> ok ill get the few out to you to make sure
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks
21:53 < jokeefe> anyone have anything else to report?
21:54 < Bluestreak> https://www.facebook.com/events/737236573047083/
21:55 < jokeefe> thank you
21:56 < Bluestreak> Wish I had the energy to edit Evan’s video!
21:56 < jokeefe> BTW: Nina Huntemann won’t be able to make it
21:56 < Bluestreak> It is still on the eventbrite
21:56 < Bluestreak> I will take it off the FB
21:57 < jokeefe> Professor Benjamin K. Ngugi will moderate instead
21:57 < jokeefe> no worries, yeah, things don’t always get updated as
        quickly as we like
21:58 < jokeefe> thank you
21:58 < jokeefe> well if there is nothing else, shall we adjourn?
21:58 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:59 < igel> yaar
21:59 < Kendra> second