June 18th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:01, 18 June 2015 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reports

  1. Boston Pride Parade
  2. Fast Track legislation
  3. Other reports

Decisions

Olympics in Mass

We posted asking for feedback on what our position should be on the olympics coming to Mass. Time to come to a decision.

Tasks

Event Planning

  1. Jun. 21, 4-6pm, Pirate Council Meeting, Regina Pizzeria, 353 Cambridge St, Allston
  2. Jun. 25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, Somerville
  3. July 11, morning, IT Meeting, where?
  4. Summer, INEAS org cryptoparty?
  5. Aug 2, Pirate Picnic, Georges Island?, need poll & sign up form (asking for what people will bring)
  6. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug

Upcoming Events

  1. Jun. 21, 4-6pm, Pirate Council Meeting
  2. Jun. 25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, Somerville
  3. July 11, morning, IT Meeting
  4. Jul. event?
  5. Aug. 2, Pirate Picnic
  6. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally
  7. Oct. event?
  8. Nov. event?
  9. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • Kendra

Observers

  • zby
  • kwartiertje
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Reviewed Pride Parade.

Mailchip -> Civicrm migration this weekend. Steve's house, Sat 10am. Having our supporter list in Civi will make it easier to do phone banking.

Olympics. We decide to poll our supporters, to see how they feel about Boston 2024. Steve will put poll questions together tomorrow night.

Minutes

 
20:58 < igel> sup srevilak,
20:58 < igel> https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonmeshnet/
20:58 < srevilak> hi igel
20:59 < srevilak> re https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonmeshnet/ -- nice!
21:00 < igel> boston looks like it will support a backhaul link to a
        meshnet a mile away from the city/seaport
21:01 < igel> routing technology is all about crypto
21:01 < jokeefe> nice, igel
21:01 < jokeefe> ahoy all!
21:01 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_18th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:04 < igel> how goes it
21:04 < jokeefe> well, you?
21:05 < jokeefe> Reports - Pride
21:06 < jokeefe> We had 12 people march with us, and marching down Beacon
        Hill to Government Center 12 more people tagged along
21:06 < jokeefe> Handed out a lot of buttons
21:06 < jokeefe> Kate brought fliers.
21:06 < srevilak> Button seemed to be a big hit.  Sad to say, bicycles
        weren't as cool as I'd hoped
21:06 < jokeefe> What was the problem with them?
21:07 < jokeefe> Microsoft posted a good picture of you and your bike
        on Facebook
21:07 < jokeefe> Thank you blog post and pictures are posted
21:08 < igel> ah, yea i saw thru posted media
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: if you get a chance, send me url of microsoft
        posting
21:09 < igel> the op. poll on blog seems relevant..
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/03/11/your-voice-boston-olympics/
21:10 < igel> but i cant find it
21:10 < noe> Ahoy
21:10 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:10 < igel> may be i misread, ?
21:11 < igel> hi noe
21:11 < noe> (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:11 < jokeefe> sorry, what can’t you find igel?
21:11 < jokeefe> noe, Just reviewing pride
21:11 < igel> the wiki leading to the blog, We posted asking for feedback
        on what our position should be on the olympics coming to Mass. Time to
        come to a decision.
21:12 < jokeefe> Here is the link srevilak -
        https://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftNewEngland/photos/a.895286710541113.1073741865.316614501741673/895287213874396/?type=1&theater
21:13 < jokeefe> Agreed
21:13 < jokeefe> igel
21:13 < jokeefe> got more comments on Facebook
21:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: thx
21:13 < jokeefe> none positive
21:13 < igel> why?
21:13 < igel> people don't want missile launchers in the boston common?
21:14 < noe> LOL
21:14 < igel> ..being sarcastic is hard over irc
21:15 < jokeefe> Lockdown in Boston was more than enough for me
21:15 < jokeefe> noe, anything you want to add about Pride?
21:15 < noe> As much as I love sports, I don't think the Olympics is a
        great idea.
21:15 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:15 < srevilak> agreed, we don't need weeks of quasi martial law
21:15 < Kendra> Hi
21:15 < igel> yea imagine? minus all that tho, then cool.
21:16 < noe> Pride was fun, somewhat warm. It felt more fun this year
        with festive bies.
21:16 < igel> it seems great, but cmon.
21:16 < noe> Bikes . . . Also bis, too.
21:17 < srevilak> :)
21:17 < noe> Well, martial law would be extended to cities as far as
        Springfield.
21:17 < noe> Newer plan involves more of the state.
21:18 < jokeefe> Moving on - Fast Track legislation
21:18 < srevilak> before we move on
21:19 < srevilak> re: Olymics opinion, do we want to try one more
        (short) poll
21:19 < srevilak> since we should have a position and all
21:19 < jokeefe> lets talk about that during the olympics discussion
21:19 < srevilak> ok
21:20 < jokeefe> House passed only Fast Track/TPA no TAA (assistance for
        workers). needs to reconcile with Senate or have Senate pass same bill.
21:20 < jokeefe> Not sure how it will go.
21:20 < jokeefe> Seems all MA Dems voted against it.
21:20 < igel> noe, thats insane
21:20 < igel> yeah they
21:20 < jokeefe> Don’t know the New England vote break down
21:21 < jokeefe> I did find this article helpful on ISDS -
        http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/06/gaius-publius-isds-provisions-in-tpp-violate-article-iii-of-the-u-s-constitution.html
21:22 < jokeefe> Any how, fight continues.  National needs to make this
        a bigger issue.
21:23 < jokeefe> Anything else others have to report?
21:23 < igel> i was reading its part of a larger, one world economy
21:23 < noe> Agreed. MA is already against it, how do we spread the word?
21:24 < noe> Looking forward to seeing people on Sunday. :-)
21:24 < jokeefe> Focus on New England, noe, as best we can
21:24 < jokeefe> aye
21:24 < Kendra> What about the phone bank, is it worth calling people?
21:25 < jokeefe> igel - funny that GOP wants an unaccountable one world
        economy, or maybe not
21:25 < jokeefe> sure, could get people out of MA and contact them
        directly.
21:25 < jokeefe> Haven’t heard when the Senate takes up the bill
21:25 < Kendra> Or are we talking about nation wide?  In which case email.
21:26 < noe> Good idea, Kendra. Could be worth doing.
21:26 < jokeefe> Or call on weekends or both
21:26 < srevilak> jokeefe: how would you feel about making this the
        weekend for mailchimp -> civi switch?
21:26 < srevilak> (so we can use civi to facilitate phone banking)
21:26 < jokeefe> Anyone up to compiling a list of the Senators who voted
        for Fast Track and their phone #s?
21:27 < jokeefe> sure, srevilak, lets go for it
21:27 < Kendra> I ahve Saturday off for the most part
21:27 < srevilak> ditto: Saturday off
21:27 < igel> locally?
21:27 < jokeefe> Earlier is probably easier for me
21:27 < igel> errr in MA?
21:28 < jokeefe> 10am?
21:28 < jokeefe> data migration party this Saturday, igel
21:28 < srevilak> sat 10am ok
21:28 < jokeefe> Send out Email for Monday morning
21:28 < Kendra> I can make it early
21:29 < noe> I will have to check my schedule but hope to make it saturday
21:30 < igel> sat ? lookn
21:30 < Kendra> 10 works for me
21:30 < jokeefe> no worries if you can’t noe, think we have enough folks
21:30 < jokeefe> Who can host?
21:31 < Kendra> Our apartment it teeny, no living or dining room
21:33 < srevilak> I can host
21:34 < jokeefe> Thank you, srevilak
21:34 < Kendra> Thanks Steve
21:34 < srevilak> Re: senators voting for fast track, I think this is
        the list:
21:34 < srevilak>
        http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?&congress=114&session=1&vote=00193
21:34 < srevilak> ( H.R.1314 )
21:34 < jokeefe> “Request unable to be completed”
21:35 < srevilak> well, it's HR.1314, Senate vote #193
21:36 < jokeefe> Maybe this http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2015/roll362.xml
21:36 < jokeefe> wrong vote
21:37 < srevilak> The bill title is "Ensuring Tax Exempt Organizations
        the Right to Appeal Act"
21:37 < srevilak> try
        https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/1314/text
21:37 < jokeefe> igel, would you be able to scrape for the DC phone
        numbers of all Senators?
21:37 < srevilak> (look for text "All recorded votes")
21:38 < igel> sorr! back.
21:38 < srevilak> (look for text "Major recorded votes")
21:38 < igel> yea shoot ok
21:39 < jokeefe> 05/22/2015	Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate
        with an amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 62 - 37. Record Vote Number: 193. -
        but link is bad
21:39 < jokeefe> thanks igel
21:39 < jokeefe> So Steves, Saturday, 10am, migrate the DB
21:39 < jokeefe> I’ll get the vote
21:39 < jokeefe> igel gets the phone numbers
21:40 < jokeefe> We get an email out Sunday/Monday morning
21:40 < jokeefe> Sounds like a plan
21:40 < noe> Whoo!
21:40 < igel> just D.C. code?
21:40 < jokeefe> noe, you got time to write the brief text of the email?
        you can crib from the emails/blog posts on the topic of course ;-)
21:42 < Kendra> In preparation for that email on Sunday , we should be
        thinking about who we are emailing and if we want to each bring our own
        contacts or do something else
21:42 < noe> Ok! Send to Jamie by Sunday?
21:43 < Kendra> That sounds good
21:43 < noe> Saturday, sorry
21:43 < jokeefe> Sunday is fine, noe.  Kendra, sounds good.  lets talk
        about that tomorrow and Sunday
21:44 < jokeefe> ok, plan set
21:45 < jokeefe> Moving on to Olympics in Mass
21:45 < jokeefe> Steve suggests a poll
21:46 < srevilak> (Steve also volunteers to do first draft of poll
        questions)
21:46 < jokeefe> thank you!
21:46 < jokeefe> any 2nd?
21:47 < Kendra> 2nd
21:47 < jokeefe> discussion?
21:47 < Kendra> are we voting on taking a poll?
21:48 < jokeefe> just want to see if anyone wants to discuss one approach
        or another
21:48 < jokeefe> poll or decide now
21:49 < jokeefe> ?
21:49 < Kendra> I think they should not spend that much on a one time
        event and if they can find that much money for the Olympics they can
        put it into affordable housing in the city.
21:50 < Kendra> If this is the discussion you are suggesting.
21:52 < jokeefe> ok, lets vote then - all in favor of doing a poll asking
        supporters what position we should take on the olympics in mass, please
        say aye
21:52 < Kendra> aye
21:52 < srevilak> aye
21:53 < igel> aye
21:54 < noe> Aye
21:54 < jokeefe> aye
21:54 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:55 < jokeefe> ok, motion passes then
21:56 < srevilak> will put poll together Fri night
21:56 < jokeefe> thanks.  should email it out Sun/Mon
21:57 < jokeefe> will email it out by Sun/Mon
21:58 < jokeefe> Just want to remind people about filling out the meeting
        time poll and encourage everyone to attend the Pirate Council meeting
        on Sunday, 4-6pm, Regina Pizzeria Allston
21:59 < noe> Motion to adjourn.
21:59 < noe> ?
21:59 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:59 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:59 < igel> aye
21:59 < srevilak> aye
21:59 < Kendra> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> any opposed?
22:00 < jokeefe> srevilak, you have the meeting notes?
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: will post notes
22:00 < jokeefe> thank you