September 21st, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 22:05, 21 September 2015 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Minutes)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

Decisions

Upcoming Events

Task Status

  • PirateCon 2015 Videos
    • Evan Greer talk (Bluestreak)
  • MAAPL form (srevilak, jokeefe, noe, ...)
  • Newsletter (Kendra, paper_waves, ?)
    • Design & Feedback
    • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
      • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
      • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
      • Decide on the print run (?)
    • Distribute
  • Media
    • Updated media list (noe)
    • Oct. - Free Software & Innovation
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
    • Dec. - ?
  • Blog posts
    • Local/regional contacts (jokeefe) - Regional page up. Working on local pages.
    • TPP update (jokeefe)
    • CISA update (jokeefe)
  • Tech - see for priorities
    • Bitcoin + Credit card gateway in CiviCRM (srevilak, js0000, Kendra)
    • Improve UI navigation of wiki & expose more wiki bits on blog (Noe, jokeefe)
    • Allow distributed organizing on CiviCRM (and pointers to get started) (Kendra, srevilak, Chris, jokeefe)
    • js0000 and jokeefe will work on building a tool to manage twitter:
    • Forum (or needed now that lists are publicized?)
  • Materials
  • Policies update (jokeefe)
    • Check on the state of them
    • Write up doc on using git & commenting on & voting on changes.

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.


Event Planning

  1. Sep. 22, 1pm, Public Hearing on Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (H.3242), Gardner Auditorium at the Massachusetts State House
  2. Sep. 26th & 27th, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - Planning - have asked for volunteers in email as well
  3. Sep. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  4. Oct. 3, 7-11pm, FSF 30th Anniversary Celebration, CIC Boston, 50 Milk St, Boston
  5. Oct. 13 (probably), Cory Doctorow Event - Working with other groups
  6. Oct. 28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  7. Nov. event?
  8. Nov. 25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  9. Dec. event?
  10. Dec. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero, Medway)
  • igel
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Bestpiggy (olivia píñeyro, Boston)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • aquaticonions (Eli Haber, Lexington)

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Video gaming tax break. Essentially like hollywood tax credit, but for corporations that develop video games. It piggy-backs on MA's film industry tax credit. The way law is written is "add video game" where the text "movie" appears. MA's film industry credit cost the state ~ $108k per job. About 1/3 of the money spent on video production in MA goes to recipients in the state; the rest goes to out-of-state recipients.

Vote to oppose bill: 5 votes to oppose tax break, no votes against, 1 abstention. Motion to oppose passes.


Freedom Rally. Discussed goals. Recruiting is a main goal. Lucia and Jason will do setup on Friday night. Jamie, Noe, Steve will coordinate bringing flyers, signature forms, flags.

Minutes

 
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_21st,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < noe> ahoy!
21:00 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero, Medway
21:01 < Bestpiggy> olivia píñeyro, Boston
21:01 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:02 < aquaticonions> Eli Haber, Lexington
21:02 < jokeefe> any additions to the agenda?
21:03 < srevilak> would like to talk about focal points/goals for freedom
        rally, when we get to it
21:03 < jokeefe> sure thing
21:03 < jokeefe> Decisions - Decide position on Video Gaming Tax Break
21:05 < jokeefe> Discussion?
21:06 < srevilak> Tax break is corp tax only, correct?  (i.e., not for
        independent, unincorporated game developers)
21:07 < jokeefe> That is my understanding
21:07 < Bluestreak> So like the Hollywood tax break
21:07 < jokeefe> Exactly
21:07 < jokeefe> https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H2487
21:08 < jokeefe> “Section 2: Section 6 of Chapter 62 of the General
        Laws, as appearing in the 2008 Official Edition, is further amended
        in section (l)(1) by adding at line 429 after “motion picture” the
        following term: “, or video games,” . “
21:09 < jokeefe> “Video Game Production Company”, a company including
        its subsidiaries engaged in the business of producing video games. The
        term “video game production company” shall not mean or include any
        company which is more than 25 per cent owned, affiliated, or controlled,
        by any company or person which is in default on a loan made by the
        Commonwealth or a loan guaranteed by the Commonwealth
21:09 < jokeefe> So there is a local focus
21:10 < srevilak> Sounds like "Video Game company" means "No you, Curt
        Shilling" :)
21:10 < srevilak> Sounds like "Video Game company" means "Not you,
        Curt Shilling" :)
21:10 < jokeefe> Well not really a local focus.  Look at the language
        for motion picture companies:
21:10 < jokeefe> “Motion picture production company”, a company
        including its subsidiaries engaged in the business of producing motion
        pictures, videos, television series, or commercials intended for a
        theatrical release or for television viewing. The term “motion picture
        production company” shall not mean or include any company which is
        more than 25 per cent owned, affiliated, or controlled, by any company
        or person which
21:10 < jokeefe> in default on a loan made by the commonwealth or a loan
        guaranteed by the commonwealth.
21:11 < jokeefe> Hollywood gets around the 25% max outside ownership,
        so can video gaming companies
21:13 < noe> so, really, never default on a massachusetts backed loan.
        you will never get a tax break!
21:14 < jokeefe> well, off load it to a shell corp
21:15 < jokeefe> So the cost is about $108,000 per job
21:16 < srevilak> I venture to guess that $108k is more than most state
        employees make
21:16 < jokeefe> Massachusetts occupations took home an average annual
        salary of $56,410
21:17 < jokeefe> in 2014 -
        https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/08/29/the-most-and-least-profitable-professions-massachusetts/A90tpuSvjz3fFFr7a5okMN/story.html
21:17 < jokeefe> Doubt starting game designers make near that
21:17 < jokeefe> 108k, that is
21:18 < srevilak> Is there an estimate for what the state will lose in
        credits over the next N years?
21:18 < jokeefe> Software app developers get $103,250
21:19 < noe> (we're rich!)
21:20 < jokeefe> “The state handed out $11.3 million in tax credits
        to the producers of movies, TV shows, and commercials in 2013, down from
        nearly $73 million in 2012 and nearly $38 million in 2011.”
21:20 < jokeefe>
        http://commonwealthmagazine.org/economy/013-look-whos-getting-tax-credits/
21:20 < Bluestreak> No.
21:20 < Bluestreak> I vote don’t support.
21:20 < jokeefe> "WGBH received more than $2 million in tax credits,
        or nearly 19 percent of last year’s total.”
21:21 < jokeefe> Any other discussion?
21:21 < srevilak> I suspect infrastructure repairs would be a better
        long-term investment, and would create more jobs
21:22 < Bluestreak> The film credit?
21:22 < Bluestreak> Agree with srevilak
21:23 < jokeefe> “In 2012, the Revenue Department estimated film
        productions spent $315.8 million in Massachusetts and qualified for $78.9
        million in film tax credits. Of the total spending, only $103.7 million,
        or 33 percent, went to Massachusetts residents and businesses.”
21:23 < jokeefe>
        http://commonwealthmagazine.org/economy/running-the-math-on-black-mass/
21:24 < jokeefe> Shall we go to a vote?
21:26 < noe> I love WGBH, but if you look at their financial reports, 2
        million is something like 0.1% of their unrestricted assets.  They really
        don't need it.
21:26 < jokeefe> Nice point
21:27 < srevilak> I'm ready for a vote
21:27 < noe> Hey, I'm a supporter.  I don't think these tax breaks are
        making or breaking where people film.
21:28 < jokeefe> ok, moving to a vote.  All in favor of opposing this
        Bill, say aye:
21:28 < noe> What makes or breaks it is how responsive city or county
        government is to filmmaker's requests/ interest
21:28 < Bluestreak> aye
21:28 < noe> aye
21:28 < Bestpiggy> aye
21:28 < srevilak> nay
21:29 < srevilak> sorry nay on bill, aye to oppose
21:29 < jokeefe> ok
21:29 < jokeefe> had me wondering there
21:29 < jokeefe> aye
21:30 < jokeefe> any opposed to the motion?
21:31 < jokeefe> any abstaining?
21:31 < aquaticonions> I'm Abstaining
21:32 < jokeefe> five in support of opposing the bill, 1 adstention
21:32 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:32 < jokeefe> I’ll write the statement and send it out for review.
21:33 < Bluestreak> Thanks!
21:33 < jokeefe> Just a reminder that the Bill Hearings are tomorrow.
        This tax credit bill and the GMO labeling bill
21:33 < jokeefe> Tax credit hearing is 10am-1pm
21:34 < jokeefe> GMO labeling bill is 1pm, with the rally starting
        at 11:30am
21:34 < jokeefe> If you can make either, please do.
21:34 < Bluestreak> hearing
21:34 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally -
        https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPFreedomRally2015
21:35 < jokeefe> Pre-Rally Tasks
21:36 < jokeefe> Focal points/goals
21:36 < Bluestreak> We need a flyer for the Cory event to pass out at FR
21:36 < Bluestreak> I suppose that is my task
21:36 < srevilak> I was hoping for a quick discussion about what we want
        to achieve at freedom rally (aka, why are we there)
21:37 < Bluestreak> Brand recognition
21:37 < Bluestreak> 1
21:37 < srevilak> Presumed that one goal was to obtain signatures for PMA
21:37 < Bluestreak> networking
21:37 < srevilak> Other goal is getting candidates & volunteers to do work
21:37 < noe> are we primarily there for outreach?
21:37 < Bluestreak> I thought so
21:38 < jokeefe> And sigs for cannabis legalization, though there will
        be many there
21:38 < Bluestreak> Mike Cann has a link to a petition
21:38 < srevilak> Bluestreak: brand recognition is nice, but I'd really
        like to find hands to do stuff
21:38 < Bluestreak> I will share it with the list
21:38 < Bluestreak> Such as?
21:38 < jokeefe> So what tangible items do we want to achieve
21:39 < jokeefe> Signatures, people for the mailing list, volunteers
        are good goals, IMHO
21:39 < srevilak> My tangibles: candidates, people to phone bank, people
        to serve on city/town committees
21:39 < srevilak> people to do video production, design flyers,
21:39 < srevilak> write blog posts
21:40 < srevilak> I'd like more activists
21:40 < noe> I will get PMA petitions printed  to bring on Saturday.
21:40 < srevilak> noe: thx
21:40 < noe> More activists is awesome!  That is a good goal.
21:40 < srevilak> more lovely people to IRC with on Monday nights :)
21:41 < Bluestreak> Recruiting, sure.
21:41 < srevilak> anyway, those are my goals.  Was wondering how
        others felt
21:41 < jokeefe> I think activists come from volunteers, but it never
        hurts to ask
21:41 < Bluestreak> That’s always part of the plan.
21:42 < Bluestreak> Who is going to be 1st shift sat?>
21:43 < Bluestreak> Because they need to get the banners and flags
        from Jamie
21:43 < Bluestreak> And hang them, unless… someone can meet the set
        up crew Friday night
21:43 < noe> Me.  I probably can't carry all the banners and flags,
        but I can carry a bunch.
21:43 < srevilak> I can be there sat from 11:00 - whenever
21:43 < Bluestreak> If all goes to plan, Jason and David will be setting
        up Friday night
21:44 < jokeefe> I have the banners and flags.
21:44 < Bluestreak> OK great!
21:44 < noe> I can be there only sat from 11:00 am-2pm
21:44 < jokeefe> How about I bring the banners to noe so she can bring
        them in in the morning.
21:44 < Bluestreak> I have binder clips to use to hang stuff
21:44 < noe> (family thing came up)
21:44 < Bluestreak> NO!
21:44 < Bluestreak> sads
21:44 < jokeefe> and will give the flags to srevilak
21:44 < noe> jokeefe:  can do.  i can hand stuff off to others before
        i head out.
21:45 < srevilak> jokeefe: can pick up flags on Thu or Fri night.
        Will coordinate via email
21:45 < Bluestreak> kk
21:45 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:45 < Bluestreak> Flyers
21:45 < Bluestreak> Who will get the flyers there?
21:46 < Bluestreak> Also Steve?
21:46 < noe> I can take flyers and banners.
21:46 < Bluestreak> I’m confused
21:46 < jokeefe> ok, may keep some to bring on Sunday.
21:46 < Bluestreak> I thought you couldnt go
21:47 < srevilak> sounds like noe, jokeefe and I should coordinate
21:47 < jokeefe> yes
21:47 < noe> Is jokeefe getting them printed?  I figured we'd do
        a handoff.
21:47 < jokeefe> Bluestreak - noe: I can be there only sat from 11:00
        am-2pm
21:47 < jokeefe> I will get them printed
21:47 < Bluestreak> Hmmm missed that ty
21:47 < noe> they look good, btw.  keeping it b&w, short and sweet.
21:48 < jokeefe> We have gaps in our coverage.  If people can sign up
        for time slots, that would be great.
21:48 < jokeefe> See - https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPFreedomRally2015
21:49 < jokeefe> less expensive too, noe
21:49 < noe> did people signup via the blog?
21:50 < Bluestreak> Yes ppl please sign up!
21:50 < jokeefe> not many
21:51 < noe> did we add the blog signups to the PiratePad?  because if
        we did, that is sad.
21:51 < jokeefe> yes
21:51 < srevilak> There were three signups: noe, jokeefe, and myself
21:52 < Bluestreak> When we started doing FR is was only 6 hrs long
21:52 < Bluestreak> it was
21:52 < noe> now its much longer.  wow!
21:52 < Bluestreak> The plan in this family is that Jason and David will
        be there all the time.
21:53 < jokeefe> That would be much appreciated.
21:53 < Bluestreak> I will do without them for the good of the Pirates!
21:53 < jokeefe> Prefer not to be there Sunday all alone
21:53 < jokeefe> thank you, Bluestreak
21:53 < Bluestreak> My pleasure.
21:53 < jokeefe> There are lots of people on the FB post, but turning
        them out …
21:53 < Bluestreak> Wish I could be there all weekend.
21:55 < noe> its crazy busy right now, schools back in session and all
        the things are happening
21:55 < jokeefe> yes
21:55 < jokeefe> I will get an email blast out
21:55 < Bluestreak> We still don’t have a location to tell people
21:55 < jokeefe> any word, srevilak?
21:56 < Bluestreak> Tom hasn’t gotten it to me yet, and as you know,
        he wants to move us this year
21:56 < srevilak> not yet.  Expecting to hear from Lee tomorrow
21:56 < jokeefe> ok, thanks
21:57 < jokeefe> We are at time.  Please reach out to people and encourage
        them to help at the tent.
21:57 < Bluestreak> You know it
21:57 < Bluestreak> motion to adjourn
21:58  * srevilak just asked twitter for tablers
21:58 < Bluestreak> ty!
21:58 < noe> second
21:58 < noe> all in favor of adjourning?
21:58 < jokeefe> aye
21:59 < jokeefe> srevilak, you got notes?
21:59 < noe> aye
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: got em
22:00 < jokeefe> thanks
22:01 < jokeefe> any opposed to adjourning?
22:01 < Bluestreak> aye
22:01 < Bluestreak> to adjourning
22:01 < Bluestreak> oops
22:01 < Bluestreak> nighty night!
22:01 < jokeefe> motion passes.
22:01 < jokeefe> good night all.  thanks!