October 19th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

  1. 10/13, Kill all DRM in the world forever, within a decade, conversation with Cory Doctorow, Berkman Center at Harvard University, Harvard Law School campus, Wasserstein Hall, Milstein West A
  2. 10/13, 6:30-8pm, The Remote-Controlled Society, Roundtable with Cory Doctorow and others, C. Walsh Theater, Suffolk University, Boston

Decisions

Upcoming Events

Campaigns Status

CISA

  • Writing update (jokeefe)

TPP

  • Writing update (jokeefe)

MAAPL form (srevilak)

H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production Subsidy

PirateCon 2015 Videos (jokeefe)

Newsletter (Kendra)

  • Design & Feedback
  • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
    • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
    • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
    • Decide on the print run (?)
  • Distribute

Tech

see for priorities

  • Bitcoin + Credit card gateway in CiviCRM (srevilak, js0000, Kendra)
  • Improve UI navigation of wiki & expose more wiki bits on blog (Noe, jokeefe)
  • Allow distributed organizing on CiviCRM (and pointers to get started) (Kendra, srevilak, Chris, jokeefe)
  • js0000 and jokeefe will work on building a tool to manage twitter:
  • Forum (or needed now that lists are publicized?)

Policies Update (jokeefe)

  • Write up doc on using git & commenting on & voting on changes.

Administrative

  • Email blast - Cryptoparty, latest announcements, Doctorow videos
  • Media
    • Updated media list (noe)
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
  • Blog posts
    • Local/regional contacts (jokeefe) - Regional page up. Working on local pages.
  • Materials

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.

Upcoming Events

  1. 10/28, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts?, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville
  2. Nov. event?
  3. 11/25, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville
  4. Dec. event?
  5. 12/30, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty, Somerville ?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • bestpiggy (olivia Píñeyro, Boston, MA)
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Review of Doctorow events. Went well. Jamie posted video for the evening event at Suffolk University.

Campaigns. Jamie working on CISA, TPP blog posts. Steve continues to work on tech stuff for MAAPL. Jamie working on petition for MA bills re: video game subsidy. Planning to do a newsletter mailing this week.

Future cryptoparties. We have one scheduled for Oct 28th at Parts and Crafts. Other possible venues are: Cambridge public library, out of the blue gallery, Danger Awesome, Democracy Center.

GCHQ invetigative tribunal. We discuss filing a case with the tribunal, to see if GCHQ illegally spied on Mass Pirates. Motion to file passes, 3-0. Steve will handle paperwork.

Minutes

 
20:58 < jokeefe> ahoy
20:59 < srevilak> hi jokeefe
21:01 < jokeefe> ahoy bestpiggy
21:01 < bestpiggy> hey there
21:02 < bestpiggy> are you feeling better?
21:02 < jokeefe> oh yes, thanks
21:03 < jokeefe> hope it hasn't come your way
21:03 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_19th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < bestpiggy> olivia Píñeyro, Boston, MA
21:05 < jokeefe> Reviews
21:06 < jokeefe> http://www.fordhallforum.org/programs/remote-control
        went well.  Video is up
21:07 < srevilak> how was the turnout?
21:08 < jokeefe> Decent. didn't do a count
21:08 < srevilak> who were sponsoring the event(s) with us?
21:08 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:08 < Kendra> Hi all
21:09 < Kendra> The Berkmann center looked like a law school thing,
        there was a lot of discussio of policy
21:09 < jokeefe> We really didn't sponsor it.  We just helped facilitate
        it.
21:09 < Kendra> It was pretty well attended, the luncheon, standing room
21:10 < jokeefe> Hopefully the full video from both will be posted.
21:11 < jokeefe> posted the video and pictures I took at
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/10/19/the-remote-controlled-society-video-available/
21:12 < srevilak> Anything to add to
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Event_Notes#10.2F17.2F2015_-_Cory_Doctorow_Events
21:13 < jokeefe> I'll update it.
21:13 < srevilak> thx jokeefe
21:15 < jokeefe> The only upcoming event I know of is the cryptoparty
        on 10/28.
21:15 < Kendra> brb, have to do a quick errand
21:17 < jokeefe> Campaigns Status
21:18 < jokeefe> Working on CISA & TPP blog posts
21:20 < srevilak> On MAAPL front, grace asked for a couple of changes,
        which I'll work on this week
21:21 < jokeefe> thanks
21:21 < jokeefe> No progress yet on H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production
        Subsidy, but am working on the petition
21:23 < jokeefe> The only other thing I have to report on is that I will
        get an email blast out this week.
21:24 < jokeefe> some talk about another cambridge cryptoparty at the
        public library, but we need a sponsor.
21:25 < srevilak> who's eligible to sponsor?
21:26 < jokeefe> don't know yet.
21:26 < Kendra> Out of the Blue Gallery has space
21:27 < Kendra> On Mass Ave, they have a new space and they book shows
21:28 < jokeefe> some talk of the public library
21:28 < Kendra> Is Dange Awesome still an option?
21:29 < jokeefe> could be
21:29 < Kendra> Also the Democracy Center
21:30 < jokeefe> have to rent that and the wifi may not be powerful enough
21:31 < jokeefe> Any other tasks or events to bring up?
21:31 < srevilak> Meant to edit more Piratecon audio this weekend.
        Got sidetracked writing blog posts.
21:31 < srevilak> Will try again next weekend
21:32 < srevilak> (by "this weekend", I meant "this past weekend")
21:33 < jokeefe> Thanks.  Videos are taking a bunch of work too.
        Next time really should not shoot from the side.
21:34 < srevilak> Silly idea for future cryptoparty.  We have several
        DVDs of HOPE X.  Would a DVD showing be worthwhile?
21:35 < Kendra> I am all for mixing it up sometimes
21:35 < srevilak> I have Ellsberg, Snowden, and "Ethical questions
        for ISPs"
21:35 < Kendra> What topics did we film
21:35 < Kendra> thanx
21:35 < srevilak> Kendra: we didn't film.  Just purchased DVDs
21:35 < jokeefe> I talked with Kade and she didn't recommend them as
        turnout tended to be low, but willing to try anything low effort.  ;-)
21:38 < jokeefe> srevilak, did you want to bring up your idea?
21:38 < Kendra> I thinkthe crypto parties should alwaays include soemthign
        we haven't covered yet, or something new.
21:38 < srevilak> jokeefe: thanks for the reminder
21:38 < srevilak> There's a group in the UK called Privacy International
21:39 < srevilak> Months ago, they won the right to convene a tribunal
        against GCHQ, to see who GCHQ spied on illegally
21:39 < srevilak> Originally, they wanted to organize it like a class
        action lawsuit
21:39 < srevilak> But tribunal decided that each individual had to bring
        their own case.
21:40 < srevilak> I mailed my paperwork in this morning
21:40 < srevilak> Was wondering if we wanted to open a case for MAPP
21:40 < srevilak> I will volunteer to take care of the paperwork
21:40 < Kendra> i 2nd the proposal
21:40 < jokeefe> I think we should see what they have on us.
21:41 < srevilak> https://privacyinternational.org/illegalspying has
        background
21:41 < jokeefe> discussion?
21:41 < Kendra> sure
21:41 < jokeefe> their site seems slow, unfortunately
21:41 < srevilak> Perhaps many people are filing paperwork :)
21:42 < jokeefe> lets hope
21:43 < jokeefe> not hearing any discussion and the proposal has been
2nded.
21:43 < jokeefe> All in favor?
21:43 < srevilak> aye
21:43 < Kendra> aye
21:44 < Kendra> Is the paper work complicated?
21:44 < srevilak> took me ~ 15 minutes from start to envelope
21:44 < Kendra> I might check it out as well
21:45 < jokeefe> aye
21:45 < jokeefe> anyone else?
21:47 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:48 < jokeefe> anything else to discuss?
21:48 < srevilak> nothing here
21:49 < Kendra> I did not share my border search story with MAPP yet,
        but it is on the occupy boston blog.
21:49 < Kendra> other than that I motion to adjourn
21:50 < jokeefe> will have to look that up
21:50 < jokeefe> 2nd the motion to adjourn
21:50 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:50 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
21:50 < Kendra> aye
21:50 < Kendra> nite
21:50 < srevilak> will post transcript