Congress will soon vote on granting the President Fast track Trade Authority (FTA).
If FTAA passes, the Congress will only be allowed to vote up or down on secret trade deals such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
As the Wikileaks release we reported over a month ago noted, secret trade agreements such as the TPP and TTIP will implement the most draconian anti-sharing laws we have seen. It would criminalize of copyright infringement and include:
- Stronger DRM and “technological protection measure” regimes;
- Make ISPs liable for copyright infringement on their networks;
- Implement a “take it down first, argue later” DMCA-like process for notifying copyright infringements;
TPP would allow corporations to patent plants and animals and ban you from selling a product you bought abroad if they object.
Both trade agreements would grant rights to corporations to challenge our laws if they at all hinder their profits. It is already happening in Canada and Costa Rica. With TPP and TTIP, your home town will be next.
Thankfully, the Congress has the constitutional authority to manage our trade policy. It shouldn’t cede that authority to the President.
[This section was added in error. Sorry about that.]
The Senate Democratic leadership has added a sweetener for Democrats who are on the fence about passing the FTAA: extending unemployment insurance. Our economy still hasn’t fully recovered from the 2008 financial crisis that Wall St. dumped on us, but that is no reason to sacrifice our democracy!
Much of the Mass. delegation questions the need for FTAA,
but with the possible short-term sweetener, we cannot trust that they will stand up for our democracy.
Call your Senators and House Rep. and tell them to oppose Fast Track Trade Authority:
- Senator Elizabeth Warren – Facebook / @SenWarren / (202) 224-4543(617) 565-3170 / (413) 788-2690
- Senator Ed Markey – Facebook / @MarkeyMemo / (202) 224-2742 / (617) 565-8519
- 1st CD Representative Richard Neal – Facebook / @RepRichardNeal / (202) 225-5601 / (413) 785-0325
- 2nd CD Representative James McGovern – Facebook / @RepMcGovern / (202) 225-6101 / (508) 831-7356
- 3rd CD Representative Niki Tsongas – Facebook / @nikiinthehouse / (202) 225-3411 / (978) 459-0101
- 4th CD Representative Joseph P. Kennedy III – Facebook / @joekennedy / (202) 225-5931 / (617) 332-3333
- 5th CD Representative Katherine Clark – Facebook / @KClarkCongress / (202) 225-2836
- 6th CD Representative Jonathan Tierney – @RepTierney / (202) 225-8020 / (781) 595-7375
- 7th CD Representative Michael Capuano – Facebook / @mikecapuano / (202) 225-5111 / (617) 621-6208
- 8th CD Representative Stephen Lynch – Facebook / @RepStephenLynch / (202) 225-8273 / (617) 428-2000
- 9th CD Representative William Keating – Facebook / @WilliamKeating / (202) 225-3111 / (617) 770-3700
Here are other ways to stop these secret trade deals:
- Tell your Senators and House Rep. to oppose FTAA via Twitter or Facebook;
- spread the word about the FTAA/ TPP / TTIP by sharing this page;
- signing up to be a Pirate volunteer;
- donating to us on-line or by mail.
Our future depends on your help!