The Senate rejected two Patriot Act Section 215 renewals. Both failed to reach the 60 votes needed for cloture. The first was the USA Freedom Act, which failed 57 to 42. Senators Warren and Markey both voted for it. The second was a straight renewal of the expiring sections of the Patriot Act, which failed 54 to 45. Senators Warren and Markey both voted against it.
Thanks to everyone who stood out or called Warren and Markey. Six months ago it did not look like were close to having one leg of the government’s mass surveillance program expire. Because of your efforts that goal is in sight!
The Senate is no longer in session, but they may come back on the 31st to try to pass a temporary renewal. Please call Senators Warren and Markey this week to thank them for opposing a straight Section 215 renewal and chastise them for voting for the USA Freedom Act. If you setup a meeting with either Senators or their staff, tell us about it and we will help publicize it.
- Senator Elizabeth Warren – Facebook / @SenWarren / (202) 224-4543 / (617) 565-3170 & (413) 788-2690
- Senator Ed Markey – Facebook / @MarkeyMemo / (202) 224-2742 / (617) 565-8519
If the Senate passes a temporary renewal, the House will have to approve it. Now is the time to contact your Congressperson and tell them you want to Section 215 to expire. this is most important with Keating, Kennedy, Lynch, Moulton, and Tsongas since they all voted for the USA Freedom Act. To find out who represents you in the House of Representatives, please visit Where Do I Vote MA and enter your address.
- 1st CD Representative Richard Neal – Facebook / @RepRichardNeal / (202) 225-5601 / (413) 785-0325
- 2nd CD Representative James McGovern – Facebook / @RepMcGovern / (202) 225-6101 / (508) 831-7356
- 3rd CD Representative Niki Tsongas – Facebook / @nikiinthehouse / (202) 225-3411 / (978) 459-0101
- 4th CD Representative Joseph P. Kennedy III – Facebook / @joekennedy / (202) 225-5931 / (617) 332-3333
- 5th CD Representative Katherine Clark – Facebook / @KClarkCongress / (202) 225-2836 / (781) 396-2900 & (508) 319-9757
- 6th CD Representative Seth Moulton – Facebook / @sethmoulton / (202) 225-8020 / (978) 531-1669
- 7th CD Representative Michael Capuano – Facebook / @mikecapuano / (202) 225-5111 / (617) 621-6208
- 8th CD Representative Stephen Lynch – Facebook / @RepStephenLynch / (202) 225-8273 / (617) 428-2000
- 9th CD Representative William Keating – Facebook / @WilliamKeating / (202) 225-3111 / (617) 770-3700