The House and Senate Intelligence committees are working a version of CISA, the Cyber Information Sharing Act, that is even worse: We have heard that bill changes include:
- Reducing privacy protections;
- Expanding the definition of “cyber threat” to include non-cyber crimes;
- Expanding liability protection for companies that hand over their data to the government;
- Reversing DHS – civilian side – as lead for information sharing. Perhaps making the NSA the point of collection?
- Getting rid of the directive to ensure data integrity.
Fight for the Future and others have called for people to urge Congressman McCaul, the Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, to slow the process down. You can send him a message if you live in his district, and it will reject a zip code that is not in his district. If you wish to contact him that way, the zip codes for his offices are posted. His DC office number is 202-225-2401 and you can reach him on Twitter at @RepMcCaul.
In Massachusetts, only Representatives Neal (202-225-5601), Kennedy (202-225-5931), Moulton (202-225-8020) & Keating (202-225-3111) voted for CISA. Now is the time to urge them to vote against this surveillance bill! If you aren’t sure whether they are your US House Representative, visit Where Do I Vote MA and enter your address to find out.
- 1st CD Representative Richard Neal – Facebook / @RepRichardNeal / (202) 225-5601 / (413) 785-0325
- 4th CD Representative Joseph P. Kennedy III – Facebook / @joekennedy / (202) 225-5931 / (617) 332-3333
- 6th CD Representative Seth Moulton – Facebook / @sethmoulton / (202) 225-8020 / (978) 531-1669
- 9th CD Representative William Keating – Facebook / @WilliamKeating / (202) 225-3111 / (617) 770-3700
The rest of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation voted against CISA. Now would be a good time to thank them and urge them to get more congress people to vote against it:
- Senator Elizabeth Warren – Facebook / @SenWarren / (202) 224-4543 / (617) 565-3170 & (413) 788-2690
- Senator Ed Markey – Facebook / @SenMarkey / (202) 224-2742 / (617) 565-8519
- 2nd CD Representative James McGovern – Facebook / @RepMcGovern / (202) 225-6101 / (508) 831-7356
- 3rd CD Representative Niki Tsongas – Facebook / @nikiinthehouse / (202) 225-3411 / (978) 459-0101
- 5th CD Representative Katherine Clark – Facebook / @KClarkCongress / (202) 225-2836 / (781) 396-2900 & (508) 319-9757
- 7th CD Representative Michael Capuano – Facebook / @mikecapuano / (202) 225-5111 / (617) 621-6208
- 8th CD Representative Stephen Lynch – Facebook / @RepStephenLynch / (202) 225-8273 / (617) 428-2000
Finally, if you are tired of our representatives selling out our privacy, run for office as a Pirate!