Leaders in Congress are trying to pass an expanded CISA, the Cyber Information Sharing Act, in the “must pass” omnibus spending bill. The House vote is likely tomorrow.
These changes will broaden it to include non-cybersecurity crimes, pull what little privacy protections it had, encourag ISPs like Comcast to log everything you send so the government can scoop it up and allow the NSA to collect it all.
The terrorists who attacked Paris and San Bernardino weren’t identified by meta data analysis and didn’t use encryption. This bill will expand the government’s mass surveillance when mass surveillance has not stopped a single attack. This is one wasteful program we want to see eliminated.
Now is the time to contact your Congress people and urge them to vote against it!
In Massachusetts, only Representatives Neal (202-225-5601), Kennedy (202-225-5931), Moulton (202-225-8020) & Keating (202-225-3111) voted for CISA. If you aren’t sure whether they are your US House Representative, visit Where Do I Vote MA and enter your address to find out.
- 1st CD Representative Richard Neal – Facebook / @RepRichardNeal / (202) 225-5601 / (413) 785-0325
- 4th CD Representative Joseph P. Kennedy III – Facebook / @joekennedy / (202) 225-5931 / (617) 332-3333
- 6th CD Representative Seth Moulton – Facebook / @sethmoulton / (202) 225-8020 / (978) 531-1669
- 9th CD Representative William Keating – Facebook / @WilliamKeating / (202) 225-3111 / (617) 770-3700
The rest of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation voted against CISA, but with it being rolled into the omnibus spending bill, we cannot be sure they won’t vote for it. Please thank them for their past vote against any bill that contains CISA and urge them to lead the fight to stop it:
- Senator Elizabeth Warren – Facebook / @SenWarren / (202) 224-4543 / (617) 565-3170 & (413) 788-2690
- Senator Ed Markey – Facebook / @SenMarkey / (202) 224-2742 / (617) 565-8519
- 2nd CD Representative James McGovern – Facebook / @RepMcGovern / (202) 225-6101 / (508) 831-7356
- 3rd CD Representative Niki Tsongas – Facebook / @nikiinthehouse / (202) 225-3411 / (978) 459-0101
- 5th CD Representative Katherine Clark – Facebook / @KClarkCongress / (202) 225-2836 / (781) 396-2900 & (508) 319-9757
- 7th CD Representative Michael Capuano – Facebook / @mikecapuano / (202) 225-5111 / (617) 621-6208
- 8th CD Representative Stephen Lynch – Facebook / @RepStephenLynch / (202) 225-8273 / (617) 428-2000
Finally, if you are tired of your Congress people selling out your privacy, run for office as a Pirate!