He didn’t encrypt the text of his email using GnuPGP.
He didn’t insist that all of the email sent to him be encrypted.
He didn’t use secure communications free from malicious hackers, the NSA or friends of the NSA, such as Yahoo.
John is embarrassed and his friend Hillary has to answer lots of questions.
Don’t be like John.
Learn to encrypt your emails.
Everyone needs to know their private communications are actually private. Private from abusive ex-lovers, phishers, malicious hackers or the NSA.
There are many ways you can learn to protect your email and your privacy on-line:
- Tutorials from the Free Software Foundation and the Electronic Frontier Foundation;
- Attend the Boston Public Library cryptoparty on October 22nd from 1-4pm. It will be at their Grove Hall Branch, 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester;
- The monthly Somerville Cryptoparty on the last Wednesday of the month at The Sprouts at 339R Summer St, Somerville;
- Ask questions at our cryptoparty mailing list;
- Email us at email@example.com to setup a cryptoparty for your organization, neighborhood or group of friends.
Protect yourself. Be sure you aren’t the next John.
Image of email from Wikileaks.