In a late night session with a hand scribbled bill, Congress gave a big wet kiss to the 1% while shafting the rest of us. Congress continues its work to expand Section 702 to give the NSA (and the FBI via parallel construction) more power to spy on us. The FCC is trying to take away net neutrality to further enrich wealthy corporations. Even here, Massachusetts pols are lining up to give Amazon the mother of all corporate subsidies.
We have been dealing with this crap for the last 30 years and following politics as usual by the Republicans and Democrats just makes it worse.
If you want to throw out these shills for the wealthy, corporations and the security state, we have a few things you can do:
- Sign up for our campaign workshop on Saturday, December 9th in Holyoke. 60% of Mass. legislators don’t have an opponent in the general election. Massachusetts needs you to run. Here is a direct link to the registration page.
- Come out to one of the protests for Net Neutrality on Thursday, December 7th. We will be at the protests in Boston and Worcester at least, but go to the closest one to you or if there isn’t one, add one to the list and turn people out. Email us the details and we will invite Pirates in your area. Cannot come out? Call your Congress critters and demand they override the FCC and support Net Neutrality.
- Section 702 expires at the end of the year, now is the time to contact your House member and Senators and tell them to let it expire. While we appreciate the positive steps in the USA RIGHTS Act reform bill and see it as in improvement over what we have, we want Section 702 to expire. You can find contact info for the Massachusetts delegation at our wiki.
Space is limited for our December 9th campaign workshop, so if you cannot make it don’t worry as we are planning to have more of them. We are committed to having one in the Boston-area in January and one in Worcester in February. If you want us to come out to your area or can help us find a place for the two we have planned, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IRC meeting is Tuesday
The Mass. Pirate Party weekly planning meeting is every Tuesday at 9pm, Eastern time. Our agendas are posted. To join:
- Go to https://webchat.pirateirc.net/
- Fill out the web form with the Nickname of your choice and enter #masspirates in the Channel box next to it, then click the Connect button
Start typing and reading
- You can also connect via your IRC client at one of the servers listed at http://pirateirc.net/servers.
May the wind be at all of our backs. We are going to need it!